Eric Duncan

Weekday Numbers (12/27-30) | Asgard 2 says 20.5 Thursday for NWH | Derby is Back!

The ww numbers for NWH during this entire week will be crazy won't they? Already at 1.1b with monday numbers alone, lmao.

Sony's Spider-verse sequel next year + Spider-Man 2 videogame in 2023 (with both Peter and Miles) will be something for sure.

Also, this feels like a parallel universe or something...Sony has the #1 movie WW 2 years in a row for hollywood. Bad Boys last year and this year with NWH. I won't even mention the fact both Sony's comic movies this year outgrossed the 3 Disney MCU movies (NWH and Venom 2)

• Like 2

Ahead of Suicide Squad and Dune, and only behind MK and Godzilla which came out when no other movie competition and when many theaters were still closed. I'm not defending Matrix's awful box office performance but this number is impressive given the holiday season and the actual competition now in theaters. I think it's crazy to say Max has no impact.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Ahead of Suicide Squad and Dune, and only behind MK and Godzilla which came out when no other movie competition and when many theaters were still closed. I'm not defending Matrix's awful box office performance but this number is impressive given the holiday season and the actual competition now in theaters. I think it's crazy to say Max has no impact.

HBO Max has definitely had an impact, but given that this was a movie that aspired to be a must-see event when it was given the green light, the box office numbers are looking low enough that even tripling them results in a smaller gross than Revolutions' disappointing total nearly 20 years ago. Probably not what the studio had in mind when it was given the go-ahead, especially with a reported $190M budget (though who knows how much of that is on COVID-related production delays/protocols causing the budget to go up since it was in the middle of filming when everything shutdown).

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

HBO Max has definitely had an impact, but given that this was a movie that aspired to be a must-see event when it was given the green light, the box office numbers are looking low enough that even tripling them results in a smaller gross than Revolutions' disappointing total nearly 20 years ago. Probably not what the studio had in mind when it was given the go-ahead, especially with a reported $190M budget (though who knows how much of that is on COVID-related production delays/protocols causing the budget to go up since it was in the middle of filming when everything shutdown).

Well, I'm gonna be honest, I know alot of people that watched it on HBO Max and the reviews are not exactly glowing. It's like CJohn said - it needed a big, normal opening weekend before word of mouth kicked in. I still think it would do a 60m opening weekend with a (much) better release date and no Omicron. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Matrix needed a normal market and a normal weekend in order to pull a big OW before the WOM kicked in and destroyed its legs. As is, WOM kicked in and people either are not watching it or are watching at home.

But they aren't watching it at home, either...

WOM seems to be - if you liked Matrix for its pop culture and sci fi coolness and wonderful special effects, you're gonna hate this movie, so just pass...

And it seems like everyone everywhere is passing...

I am gonna enjoy my empty theater tomorrow (which would probably have been changed to a Spidey showing if I didn't already have tickets)...I may hate this movie, but with the Covid breakout here, I've decided I'm just thankful I'm getting my own theater rental tomorrow morning for my boys and I for the cost of BOGO tickets (that gets me platinum status for Cinemark next year:)...$20 for a private rental is kinda awesome...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

But they aren't watching it at home, either...

WOM seems to be - if you liked Matrix for its pop culture and sci fi coolness and wonderful special effects, you're gonna hate this movie, so just pass...

And it seems like everyone everywhere is passing...

I am gonna enjoy my empty theater tomorrow (which would probably have been changed to a Spidey showing if I didn't already have tickets)...I may hate this movie, but with the Covid breakout here, I've decided I'm just thankful I'm getting my own theater rental tomorrow morning for my boys and I for the cost of BOGO tickets (that gets me platinum status for Cinemark next year:)...$20 for a private rental is kinda awesome...

What? They are watching it at home. It's the third highest ranked HBO Max movie by viewers ahead of Suicide Squad and Dune, and will probably pace to over 5m viewers by the end of first month like Kombat and Godzilla did.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, TiagoRodrigues said:

The ww numbers for NWH during this entire week will be crazy won't they? Already at 1.1b with monday numbers alone, lmao.

Sony's Spider-verse sequel next year + Spider-Man 2 videogame in 2023 (with both Peter and Miles) will be something for sure.

Also, this feels like a parallel universe or something...Sony has the #1 movie WW 2 years in a row for hollywood. Bad Boys last year and this year with NWH. I won't even mention the fact both Sony's comic movies this year outgrossed the 3 Disney MCU movies (NWH and Venom 2)

Means nothing. Extenuating circumstances that heavily favored Sony's releases. Venom was the direct sequel to a big hit and not put on a streaming platform. Eternals and Shang-Chi introduced new characters in to the MCU and Black Widow was watched by 4 million Disney+ accounts, let alone actual people, before it even went free on the platform.