EmpireCity

New Year Weekend Thread (31 Dec - 2 Jan)

19 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Looks good for NWH, +700M is probably happening. 

This one i truly hope it keeps theatrical exclusive until February at least, because this one is actually making significative money.

$700M+ is locked at this point.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

Again, I don’t see the evidence. People watching it for free makes the audience who won’t pay somehow significant? Surely you’re better off having your audience pay for your content for a period of time, before you gift wrap it for them for absolutely nothing?

That’s our point. There are revenue streams they’re blindsiding, and for what? They don’t need to do it. 

we all saw their subscription numbers last quarter….

Well, then to you Netflix model as a whole doesn't make sense since they spend billions in things that they don't sell individually.

If you can't see why giving a huge content that people like to 120M customers that pay 8-10 dollars monthly to make them keep interested on the platform is more significative than getting extra 15M on box office i don't know what to say, to me it's more than obvious.

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yes, it is. The soundtrack is currently #1 on Apple Music, the song We Don't Talk About Bruno is top 5 on Spotify, the movie is currently viral on TikTok and Twitter, and obviously, views on D+ are massive, all after the streaming release.

And i didn't said anyone is wrong for pointing that the movie isn't bringing aditional subscribers. I said this isn't the only thing that matters because they also need to keep their customers happy and they need more content to stream, and now they have a huge hit for it, so yeah, saying it's a "dumb decision" to put it on streaming just because it's not bringing aditional people doesn't make any sense, it's choosing just one point of the whole.

so you think families would have cancelled Disney+ if they couldn’t watch it on the service four weeks after it came out? 

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Well, then to you Netflix model as a whole doesn't make sense since they spend billions in things that they don't sell individually.

If you can't see why giving a huge content that people like to 120M customers that pay 8-10 dollars monthly to make them keep interested on the platform is more significative than getting extra 15M on box office i don't know what to say, to me it's more than obvious.

it doesn’t! Look how in the red Netflix are! 

They’re banking on making money years down the line, but it remains to be seen just how relevant they’ll be five years from now. 

They spend billions of dollars of borrowed money, leveraging it with a share price which is only sentiment.  

….and I do see the positives in putting the movie on the service to 120 million customers. Just not a month after it came out.  

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1

Just now, RiddlerXXR said:

Netflix turned $6B in net income in 2021. It’s not 2016 anymore.

Yet it has competition on the block now and it’s most popular shows leaving to go to its creators services. 

It remains to be seen where they’ll be a few years down the line, but their subs will hit a ceiling. 

not everybody is going to win in the streaming world, which is why I don’t understand any studio putting all their eggs in one basket. 

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Yet it has competition on the block now and it’s most popular shows leaving to go to its creators services. 

It remains to be seen where they’ll be a few years down the line, but their subs will hit a ceiling. 

not everybody is going to win in the streaming world, which is why I don’t understand any studio putting all their eggs in one basket. 

Sure, not everyone will. Netflix will be fine though. Most of their content is their own already.

As for subs hitting a ceiling, yes that'll also happen just as it has to FB and YT. But we're not close to that ceiling yet. In another decade, the biggest streaming services will be at 450-550M subs. The same will be the case of Disney's streaming services (combined). 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RiddlerXXR said:

Sure, not everyone will. Netflix will be fine though. Most of their content is their own already.

As for subs hitting a ceiling, yes that'll also happen just as it has to FB and YT. But we're not close to that ceiling yet. In another decade, the biggest streaming services will be at 450-550M subs. The same will be the case of Disney's streaming services (combined). 

there’s no certainty in this business though. 

I guess that’s my overall point. Why put all your eggs in one basket when you don’t know for sure how things might shake out? 

I just worry that we’re running towards a future where nobody pays for anything anymore, and that just results in disaster in my eyes. 

I think for a studio like Disney, they can maximise revenue from many windows. Encanto they massively jumped the gun on in my opinion.  Doesn’t mean that’s what they’ll do going forward of course, but I don’t see any reason to celebrate the treatment of this film in the mean time.  

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

there’s no certainty in this business though. There's no certainty in any business.

I guess that’s my overall point. Why put all your eggs in one basket when you don’t know for sure how things might shake out? Full control of the product, profit and distribution. And they didn't put all their eggs in the streaming basket otherwise it wouldn't have gotten a theatrical release at all. 

I just worry that we’re running towards a future where nobody pays for anything anymore, and that just results in disaster in my eyes. Huh?

I think for a studio like Disney, they can maximise revenue from many windows. Encanto they massively jumped the gun on in my opinion.  Doesn’t mean that’s what they’ll do going forward of course, but I don’t see any reason to celebrate the treatment of this film in the mean time.  I don't think anyone is "celebrating" it but it's not the huge deal some are making it out to be. It cost them maybe $10M at the box office. Less than $5M of which Disney would actually receive. That's a rounding error for a company that makes $70B a year in revenue. To me it would seem people (on here) are actually more upset that it takes away from theaters than whether it actually matters to Disney. 

• Like 2

Isn't Netflix mostly pivoting to international content in terms of trying to grow audience? I can't imagine the person in the United States of America who in 2022 finally decided to subscribe to Netflix because they made one more good show.

Big year for Amazon TV incoming. Reacher and Lord of the Rings will probably break records for their two most watched new shows ever, plus new seasons of Jack Ryan, The Boys, Maisel.

• Like 2

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Big year for Amazon TV incoming. Reacher and Lord of the Rings will probably break records for their two most watched new shows ever, plus new seasons of Jack Ryan, The Boys, Maisel.

The LOTR series is why I originally got Prime...

In 2018! Glad it's finally coming (knock on wood) this September. 

34 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

not everybody is going to win in the streaming world, which is why I don’t understand any studio putting all their eggs in one basket

Ehh, the ones that fail will be swallowed up by mergers and acquisitions from Netflix/Apple/Warner/whoever

10 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Isn't Netflix mostly pivoting to international content in terms of trying to grow audience? I can't imagine the person in the United States of America who in 2022 finally decided to subscribe to Netflix because they made one more good show.

Yes Netflix making more strides with foreign shows/films. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

Again, I don’t see the evidence. People watching it for free makes the audience who won’t pay somehow significant? Surely you’re better off having your audience pay for your content for a period of time, before you gift wrap it for them for absolutely nothing?

That’s our point. There are revenue streams they’re blindsiding, and for what? They don’t need to do it. 

we all saw their subscription numbers last quarter….

I also remember way more people twitted or buzzing about Let it Go or every other songs from Frozen after the CD to New Year craze than during its opening week. Similar to Remember me from Coco.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Nothing has been dumber in the streaming wars than Paramount stumbling onto the biggest show on television, a Game of Thrones level mega-hit, and not being able to release it on its own streamer.

which show are you referring to?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Wait...there's a new Jack Reacher show? In a little more than a month?

• Like 1