Cap

Attack of the Fangirls: The 69 Greatest Ships of All Time | AKA The Best Film Romances EVA List | CLOSED

Sent in my list, few more FYCs that I don't think have gotten attention yet:

Phil / Rita - Groundhog Day

Guido / Dora - Life is Beautiful

Jason / Marie - The Bourne Identity

Theodore / Samantha - Her

Truman / Sylvia - The Truman Show

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 4

@Cap Just to clarify this:

The characters must be together on screen, in canon.  Canon means it happens EXPLICITLY on screen.

There are ships that kinda happened but one or both ended up in another, endgame ship. Example: Elizabeth and Jack had a thing in POTC:DMC and there's a quote from scribes that she kissed Jack not only to deceive him but to "slake her lust", basically an excuse to kiss him. So is this considered a canon ship even though she and Will became the endgame? Likewise, while I can't imagine anyone shipping Steve and Sharon in CW, they did kiss so that's that. Again, canon or not? Long story short: are flings canon ships? I'd say yes but I want to clear it with you before I make the list.  :)

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

I thought about these PotC relationships too. In the first movie it's no real problem. Jack says to Elizabeth "it wouldn't have worked, darling" (or whatever they say in english) and I found this line pretty funny. But the flirting with Jack Sparrow continues, especially in part 3, and so it's harder for me to decide if the Elizabeth/Will canon ship of part 1 is still alive or not (considering the end, probably yes). Or if I should rather nominate Elizabeth/Jack.

PS: Sparrow / Barbossa could work as fanon ship (especially part 4).

And another Elizabeth as canon ship: Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy (Pride & Prejudice).

1 hour ago, el sid said:

I thought about these PotC relationships too. In the first movie it's no real problem. Jack says to Elizabeth "it wouldn't have worked, darling" (or whatever they say in english) and I found this line pretty funny. But the flirting with Jack Sparrow continues, especially in part 3, and so it's harder for me to decide if the Elizabeth/Will canon ship of part 1 is still alive or not (considering the end, probably yes). Or if I should rather nominate Elizabeth/Jack.

PS: Sparrow / Barbossa could work as fanon ship (especially part 4).

And another Elizabeth as canon ship: Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy (Pride & Prejudice).

I'm a bigger Elizabeth/Jack shipper than Elizabeth/Will (outside of their spectacular battle wedding, which is my fave swordfight choreography ever) and the Captain of the Dutchman twist, they weren't that interesting. I lowkey ship them for those 2 reasons but E/J all the way ha ha! From what I gathered, Jack/Will and Jack/Norrington are bigger fanon ships than Jack/Barbossa. Worth considering. :)

Ah, yes, how can we forget the classic (Elizabeth/Darcy)? 

• Like 1

Hard to whittle down to 40 (I know I'll kick myself for missing some later)

1 Random Harvest Charles/ Paula
2 Jodhaa Akbar Jalaluddin Akbar / Jodhaa
3 Wuthering Heights (1939) Heathcliff/ Cathy
4 The Way We Were Hubble/ Katie
5 Notorious Devlin/ Alicia
6 Marriage Italian-Style (1964) Domenico/ Fillomena
7 Thomas Crown Affair (1999) Thomas/ Catherine
8 Out Of Africa Karen/Denys
9 Breakfast at Tiffany's Paul / Holly
10 A Man & A Woman Jean-Louis/ Anne
11 In The Mood For Love Chow Mo-wan/Su Li-zhen
12 A Star Is Born (1954) Norman/ Esther
13 Much Ado About Nothing (1993) Benedict/ Beatrice
14 Two For The Road Mark/Joanna
15 The Apartment C.C./ Fran
16 The Adventures Of Robin Hood Robin/ Marion
17 Casablanca Rick / Ilsa
18 Romancing The Stone Jack/Joan
19 The Quiet Man Sean/ Mary
20 When Harry Met Sally Harry / Sally
21 The Music Man Harold/Marian
22 MCU Steve/ Peggy
23 Beauty & The Beast Beast/Belle
24 Howl's Moving Castle Howl/ Sophie
25 Thin Man Series Nick/ Nora
26 A Room With A View George/ Lucy
27 It Happened One Night Peter/Ellie
28 Starman Starman/Jenny
29 The Rainmaker Starbuck/Lizzy
30 Gilda Johnny/ Gilda
31 The African Queen Charlie/Rose
32 Doctor Zhivago Yuri/ Lara
33 It's A Wonderful Life George/ Mary
34 Call Me by Your Name Elio/ Oliver
35 The English Patient Laszlo/Katherine
36 The Princess Bride Westley/ Buttercup
37 The Sound Of Music Captain/ Maria
38 The Big Easy Remy/Anne
39 Harold & Maude Harold/ Maude
40 Superman II Clark/Lois

Top 20 (here's where @Cap disqualifies my list)

1 MCU Steve/Tony
2 Lawrence Of Arabia Lawrence/Ali
3 Ben Hur Judah/Messala
4 Becket Henry II/ Becket
5 The Wrath Of Khan/Star Trek Kirk/Spock
6 Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid Butch/Sundance
7 MCU Steve/Nat
8 Sherlock Holmes (2009) Sherlock/Watson
9 Trapeze Mike/Tino
10 Yentl Yentl/Hadass
11 Thelma & Louise Thelma/Louise
12 Design for Living Curtis/Thomas
13 Withnail & I Withnail / Marwood
14 Toy Story Woody/Buzz
15 LOTR Frodo/Sam
16 Rebel Without a Cause Jim/John
17 Stage Door Terry/Jean
18 The King & I King/Anna
19 Zootopia Nick/Judy
20 MCU Thor/Loki

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

Almost time!

tumblr_n7kpenlL6f1twcaudo1_500.gifv

Only! ... It's not!

So the plan is/was to debut this on Valentine's Day, February 14, so I built in an extra week or so for people to still get in their lists!!  

I will basically be accepting list until February 12.

I have A BUNCH of lists so far -- thanks to EVERYONE who has sent them in -- and I'm going to start tabbing them this week.  So that should be fun.  I am also really happy that people are sending in Fanon lists. I totally thought that was gonna be a flop, but it's not.  

So basically, 

Happy Wonder Woman GIF by DC Comics  

@#ED @Porthos @4815162342 @75Live @A Star is Orm @a2k @aabattery @ACSlater @AJG @Alpha @AndyLL @angeldelmito @Arlborn @Barnack @baumer @Biggestgeekever @Blaze Heatnix @boomboom234 @Boxofficerules @BoxOfficeFangrl @BoxOfficeZ @Brainbug @Eric Smith@Captain Craig @CaptainJackSparrow @Catty @cdsacken @cax16 @Jedi Jat @chasmmi @ChD @Chewy @ChipMunky @CJohn @Claire of Themyscira @Cmasterclay @cookie @CoolioD1 @DAJK @darkelf @Darth Lehnsherr @Daxtreme @ddddeeee @DeeCee @Deja23 @EarlyDeadlinePredictions @Eevin @el sid @ElsaRoc @elcaballero @Empire @EmpireCity @Exxdee @Fancyarcher @FantasticBeasts @Films @Finnick @FlashMaster659 @franfar @Frozen @FrozenUnicorn @FrozenFan626 @Goffe @Gopher@IceFire9yt @Inceptionzq @IronJimbo @Ithil @Jack Nevada @James @Jandrew @Jason @Jayhawk @Jim Shorts @JimiQ @JJ-8 @justvision @K1stpierre @Kalderic @Kalo @kayumanggi @KeepItU25071906 @kitik @Krissykins @lilmac @Lion Roar @LonePirate @m3racer123 @Mattrek @MCKillswitch123 @Mekanos @Menor @Michael Gary Scott @Mike Hunt @misafeco @Morieris @MovieMan89 @Spaghetti @MrGlass2 @Ms Lady Hawk @Mulder @Napoleon @narniadis @Neo @Noctis @Nova @Olive @Ozymandias @peludo @Porthos @RandomCat @RealLyre @Rebeccas @reddevil18 @redfirebird2008 @RichWS @RobrtmanAStarWarsReference @Rorschach @rukaio101 @Sam @sfran43 @Shawn @Sheikh @ShouldIBeHere @SLAM! @Spidey Freak @TalismanRing @tawasal @terrestrial @That One Guy @The Fast and the Furiosa @ThiagoMaia @titanic2187 @TLK @Tower @tribefan695 @trifle @TwoMisfits @VanillaSkies @vc2002 @VenomXXR @ViewerAnon @Walt Disney @Water Bottle @Webslinger @Wrath @WrathOfHan @YourMother the Edgelord @ZeeSoh @Jake Gittes  @Plain Old Tele @Ethan Hunt @Xillix @Rorschach @YourMother the Edgelord @Reddroast @Jandrew @grim22 @MrPink @chasmmi  @Eric in Boots @Blankments @MrGamer @Cap @CJohn @charlie Jatinder @tribefan695 @Empire @Jayhawk the Hutt @Sal @DAJK @ZeeSoh @carolwoodpr @RealLyre @Arendelle Legion @aabattery @TMP@Jamiem @lorddemaxus@ThomasNicole

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2022 at 12:24 AM, chasmmi said:

My list is already objectively perfect so there's no need :)

I have 4 Korean ships very high in my top so hopefully yours too and KR gets some representation in there! :jedi:

Ultra-late FYC

853806b9208bcc10e4e7e2706670eb38e4eefbb2    Windstruck (2004)

• Like 1

The way I see it, losing ship = canon. No ship = fanon. Since POTC is full of ships, I'll use that franchise to explain:

Elizabeth and Will = canon (they had a son so you can't get more canon than that)

Elizabeth and Jack = also canon even though the ship lost (they kissed, there was mutual attraction so that's canon)

Elizabeth and Norrington = also canon though the ship lost (love was one-sided but they kissed mutually)

Elizabeth and Sao Feng = aaaah, this one is tricky because there was a kiss but it was non-con and unromantic. Sao Feng thought she was Calypso and tried to court her to do his bidding. It wasn't mutual attraction or even one-sided attraction. So I'd say fanon (you'd need to write around this to make it look like an actual ship), but I'm open to other opinions.

Elizabeth and Barbossa = fanon cause never happened in canon. No kissing, no courtship, no attraction just some threats that had sexual overtones. 

5 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

@Cap Does the losing ship in a canon love triangle count as canon or fanon? Sorry if you've answered this before.

Ummm. No one asked that yet. Was the losing ship a real contender or just wishful thinking?

like Bucky and Steve aren’t canon even if they “lost” the love triangle to Peggy. But Sharon and Steve, who also lost, are. 

Does that make sense?

20 hours ago, Cap said:

Ummm. No one asked that yet. Was the losing ship a real contender or just wishful thinking?

like Bucky and Steve aren’t canon even if they “lost” the love triangle to Peggy. But Sharon and Steve, who also lost, are. 

Does that make sense?

"Real" contenders like Sharon/Steve, Katniss/Gale, Bruce/Talia in TDKR, and to a more complicated extent, Bella/Jacob, Andie/Duckie from Pretty In Pink etc.

7 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

"Real" contenders like Sharon/Steve, Katniss/Gale, Bruce/Talia in TDKR, and to a more complicated extent, Bella/Jacob, Andie/Duckie from Pretty In Pink etc.

yeah. Those all work!

7 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Andie/Duckie didn't happen, though. It was always strictly unrequited love on his part. She was never interested. Sharon/Steve = kiss. Katniss/Gale = kiss. Bruce/Talia = sex. Bella/Jacob = kiss. Andie/Duckie = nothing romantic/sexual. He was friendzoned through and through. It's understandable why they are popular fanon but they've never been canon.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1