Eric Atreides

Weekday Numbers (1/3-6) | 7.9 Spider Monday

10 minutes ago, JWR said:

Will the Ontario news signal the US shutting down next?

Nah, US mostly realizes omicron isn’t a huge deal (even the people for whom it actually is a huge deal think that it isn’t 🙃🙂🙃🙂🙃)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, JWR said:

Will the Ontario news signal the US shutting down next?

Canada has not learn to live with covid and everyone is indoors and depressed.

Only people happy are discord mods as they never go outside anyways.

Edited by Torontofan
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Product Driven Legion said:

Nah, US mostly realizes omicron isn’t a huge deal (even the people for whom it actually is a huge deal think that it isn’t 🙃🙂🙃🙂🙃)

I strongly disagree. Despite the variant not having same impact as Delta its definitely a huge deal. Its R0 numbers are so bad that its causing hospitals to shutdown units which to be is not trivial. We hit 1 million cases today and that will have big impact at hospitals if they are ravaged as well. 

That said I doubt movie theaters will close state side though some capacity constraints could be in play if spread continues rampant. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

We hit 1 million cases today and that will have big impact at hospitals if they are ravaged as well. 

That’s a Monday million, not a real million. Monday is always inflated because a lot of reporting isn’t done on the weekend. Tuesday numbers should be half that.

But yes, it’s a big deal overall because of system strain. If South Africa is indicative, we should peak this week.

47 minutes ago, Borobudur said:
1 (1) Spider-Man: No Way Home Sony Pictures $7,900,000 -55% -68% 4,206 $1,878 $621,500,664 18
- (7) Ghostbusters: Afterlife Sony Pictures $185,000 -55% -48% 1,645 $112 $123,605,032 46
- (9) A Journal for Jordan Sony Pictures $137,000 -60% -62% 2,500 $55 $4,915,805 10

Fantastic, Avatar domestic is back on the table!!

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I strongly disagree. Despite the variant not having same impact as Delta its definitely a huge deal. Its R0 numbers are so bad that its causing hospitals to shutdown units which to be is not trivial. We hit 1 million cases today and that will have big impact at hospitals if they are ravaged as well. 

That said I doubt movie theaters will close state side though some capacity constraints could be in play if spread continues rampant. 

I think, as relates to the box office, the first paragraph is, for better or worse, essentially a non-factor in America at this point.

Despite Omicron spiking, the majority are opposed to new restrictions (see below). I don't think we'll see much impact on Spidey's box office run. 

(Sort of a grassroots gut check on that: Friends in SF (which was extremely pro-restrictions) report that restaurants are absolutely packed right now.)

https://scottrasmussen.com/pandemic-74-close-to-resuming-normal-life/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Polling Update December 30 2021&utm_content=Polling Update December 30 2021+CID_c9adadf7aedf94c3157ccf6b5a114c5b&utm_source=Email marketing software MSAZenSendv3&utm_term=74 of voters are close to resuming their normal life

• Like 1

Would've been so bizarre if NWH moved out of December. So glad it didn't as it shows people will show up for something they're excited for. Now we don't have to have the cinema is dead discussion, again. Cause it's not. 

Things are looking bleak though for the first 2 months unless Uncharted does decent. Holdovers should have nice legs though hopefully. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

Would've been so bizarre if NWH moved out of December. So glad it didn't as it shows people will show up for something they're excited for. Now we don't have to have the cinema is dead discussion, again. Cause it's not. 

Things are looking bleak though for the first 2 months unless Uncharted does decent. Holdovers should have nice legs though hopefully. 

I agree.

I also think we may have an unexpected breakout--just because the demand seems to be there.

10 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

I agree.

I also think we may have an unexpected breakout--just because the demand seems to be there.

Surprise hit is always important for box office as they iron out the flop and disappointment, like how Joker offset the impact of T:DF or Sonic mitigate the disappointment of BoP, and to a certain degree, KO compensated the TROS decline from TLJ.

Surprise breakout provide stabilizer for box office cycle but the problem since the reopening is the lack of unexpected hit to offset the flop or disappointment that happened almost every week. We only have FG that offset the TSS disaster and JC for Space Jam collapse. Since then, I can't remember a single hit that we can all agree that it is surprise breakout.   

• Like 2

No way home performance needs to understood that if no huge surge in cases it be 10-20% higher or more. 

A lot of people who watch Superhero movies did not come out and watched this film due to the ongoing crisis. 

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 1