Eric Duncan

Weekday Numbers (1/3-6) | 7.9 Spider Monday

Moderation

@Movie nerd, you can in fact disagree with other users without resorting to name-calling and insults. You're an adult, so act like one

@wildphantom I'm sure you had the best intentions and didn't intend to offend anybody, but your joke felt like fanboy wars bait, and we don't do this kind of stuff here.

Sing 2 available on PVOD Friday. I'd say I'm surprised when it's one of only two movie actually making money right now, but hitting $100M is already setting a new high for an animated movie in the COVID era and it's not like arriving on PVOD stopped The Croods 2 from continuing to sell tickets in theaters, especially when this is gonna remain competition-free for another two full months.

28 minutes ago, Eric Smith said:

Moderation

@Movie nerd, you can in fact disagree with other users without resorting to name-calling and insults. You're an adult, so act like one

@wildphantom I'm sure you had the best intentions and didn't intend to offend anybody, but your joke felt like fanboy wars bait, and we don't do this kind of stuff here.

fair enough. But weren’t you the one that said theaters were dead to my comment the other day? 🤣 not bait at all right? 

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

fair enough. But weren’t you the one that said theaters were dead to my comment the other day? 🤣 not bait at all right? 

I said studios don't care about theaters anymore, not that theaters are dead. I don't think bringing up studio greed is "bait". Everybody knows studios are greedy.

14 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Issue is without theaters would large scale blockbusters like Infinity War and such be profitable ever again? 

The main issue is: we’d never know and therefore interest in this forum would plummet and die. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Issue is without theaters would large scale blockbusters like Infinity War and such be profitable ever again? 

Of course. Red Notice on Netflix cost as much to make as No Way Home. 

The ROI conditions for an in-house streaming service are much more favorable at scale than putting a film in theaters (to the distributing company).

18 minutes ago, narniadis said:

@Product Driven Legion just remember that the Tuesday increase debate has been going on since the BOM days. It was definitely in place by 2010/11. We used to have arguments about it back then as well. 

Was fun when I could get discounts at my Cinemark in 2009 but not at the AMC 🤣

Hmm, yeah, looking at Nov 2010 tues bumps they’re actually quite close to 2021. Seems I was misremembering the phase in timing there. Not so bad then though I would still like Sony to find a couple hundred k behind the sofa 😛 

• Like 1

The near-complete lack of new movies this month means that all holdovers are likely to benefit from good legs since there's little to replace them with. Expect American Underdog and West Side Story and The King's Man to still be in the top 10 by the end of the month because of this.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Sing 2 available on PVOD Friday. I'd say I'm surprised when it's one of only two movie actually making money right now, but hitting $100M is already setting a new high for an animated movie in the COVID era and it's not like arriving on PVOD stopped The Croods 2 from continuing to sell tickets in theaters, especially when this is gonna remain competition-free for another two full months.

Already? WTF 

Without any competition i thoigh this would have a shot at 160-180M since it's holding so well.

16 hours ago, Product Driven Legion said:

The 1M cases are from spiky weekday reporting, but the 7DMA  is at 500k and clearly has a lot of room to grow. Actual infections likely over 10x that, coming up on perhaps 50M infections per week — operation “everyone in the country gets omicron” is well underway at this point and only as a matter of weeks before it’s fully burnt out. And along the way there isn’t much risk except to those who decided to remain vulnerable (and a small minority who are unable to get vaccinated, for which this is a really awful tragic time but it isn’t really sensible to drive society level policy around them).

885k yesterday, 7-Day at 553k+. Curious what the average will be this time next week. Hopefully down at least 25% from now.

1 hour ago, Product Driven Legion said:

Hmm, yeah, looking at Nov 2010 tues bumps they’re actually quite close to 2021. Seems I was misremembering the phase in timing there. Not so bad then though I would still like Sony to find a couple hundred k behind the sofa 😛 

Yeah, if I remember right it was either late 2009 or summer of 2010 that AMC at large finally got on board with the trend and it changed the landscape. There was a time when it was a minor drop on both Tuesday and Wednesday usually followed by a small increase or flat on Thursday. Cheap Tuesdays changed that which made some of the patterns a decade ago harder to outright compare. 

Course I also remember when family films could pull 280-300% Fridays in the school year and that doesn't usually happen anymore either.