The Panda

The 2021 Bamboo Awards - The Panda Returns with His Top 25 Movies of 2021 and more

7 hours ago, The Panda said:

Best Adapted Screenplay

1st: Dune

Reveal hidden contents

2nd: Passing

Reveal hidden contents

3rd: The Green Knight

Reveal hidden contents

4th: The Power of the Dog

Reveal hidden contents

5th: The Last Duel

Reveal hidden contents

6th: The Matrix: Resurrections

Reveal hidden contents

Best Original Screenplay

1st: Pig

Reveal hidden contents

2nd: Quo Vadis, Aida?

Reveal hidden contents

3rd: Judas and the Black Messiah

Reveal hidden contents

4th: CODA

Reveal hidden contents

5th: Luca

Reveal hidden contents

6th: Shiva Baby

Reveal hidden contents

Coda is not an original screenplay

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Panda said:

Eternals deserves lots of credit for having MCU sex.

Yes and for [5k essay Redacted before I start a flame war]

Spoiler

Being Admin sucks sometimes! I don’t get to have any fun :sadfleck:

• Haha 1

On 1/6/2022 at 3:01 AM, The Panda said:

uppLs0W.png

uPwrUcI.png

"Courage runs deep."

Synopsis: "A chronicle of the enthralling, against-all-odds story that transfixed the world in 2018: the daring rescue of twelve boys and their coach from deep inside a flooded cave in Northern Thailand."

BOT Review: "There's already two different dramatizations of the Tham Luang rescue in the works and I'm sure there will be dozens more in the future. Yet I feel none of these will come close to the raw energy found in this Nat Geo documentary. Just seeing the actual events as they occurred and the testimonies from the divers and SEALs who lived through this goes a long way in showcasing the determination and insistence on doing the right thing that Hollywood actors could not achieve.

The film, directed by the duo behind Free Solo, plays out like a thriller, with potent tension that puts viewers on edge through so many key moments. It's impressive for sure, as this is an event that everybody is aware of and follow, and helps give the film emotional resonance and an inspirational spirit. Really, really liked this." - @Eric

Critic Excerpt: "Even though the music gets very cheesy towards the end, it’s hard not to feel moved and so swept up that you haven’t time to wonder why none of the youngsters themselves are interviewed. Also, why is there no discussion of what was surely the juiciest, weirdest news of the rescue: the efforts from the entrepreneur Elon Musk to design a mini submarine that didn’t get used in the end because they were all running out of time, but somehow led to Musk calling one of the main people involved in the rescue, the British cave cartographer Vernon Unsworth, a “pedo guy”. Unsworth tried to sue Musk for defamation but lost. Hopefully, Unsworth and Musk will be duly noted in the forthcoming dramatic feature version of the story." - Cath Clarke, The Guardian

My Opinion: The Rescue is a documentary that maintains high tension, even though you likely already know the outcome and main rescue mechanisms and heroes that will eventually come to work from following the story in the news. Every part of the rescue mission is provided with such intricate detail, rather than wikipedia bullet points from news headlines, that you start seeing all sorts of things that could go catastrophically wrong and how much logistical thought was put into the mission the entire stretch of the way. It's a real nail biter watching all of the events unfold.

I didnt know about this documentary film before reading your review today. I watched it and it was an incredible film, moved me to tears in some sections. Thanks for the recommendation

Quo Vadis is another movie that I will be watching. I knew about it but was not sure if I wanted to see it or not but now it is on my to watch list.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

I didnt know about this documentary film before reading your review today. I watched it and it was an incredible film, moved me to tears in some sections. Thanks for the recommendation

Quo Vadis is another movie that I will be watching. I knew about it but was not sure if I wanted to see it or not but now it is on my to watch list.

It always makes me happy when my lists help people discover new art that they can love too! 

Quo Vadis is incredible.

• Thanks 1

This made me go back and look at my current top 25 and Boss Baby 2 is still in it lol.

And, also put me down as someone convinced to watch Quo Vadis, Aida?. In and of Itself is also something I'll check out especially since I've been going through Frank Oz's filmography at the moment.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Thanks 1