Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (1/7-9) | The 355 - 350K Previews (5K short!)

If it does end over 1.8 billion like 1.82 billion then I think an argument can be made for it potentially being $2 billion ww-c. Omicron is peaking directly through it's run around the world and beyond people being scared you have closures in some countries. $180 mil doesn't seem that far-fetched.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wildphantom said:

we’ll see. I’m fully expecting things to get public and potentially embarrassing for Disney pretty soon. 

It won't, Pixar is a division of Disney, not an individual who is often hired by them with deals in their contracts like Scarlett Johansson. We don't know why exactly Pixar's movies are going straight to D+ beyond speculation, but it might be telling that the tweets and main page for Lightyear boldly state "in theaters summer 2022" while all the pre-D+-announcement stuff for Turning Red doesn't make any official commitment as to how it would be released beyond "coming March 2022." Same with Luca ("arrives June 2021").

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

that is sad. was hoping for some The 355 support from the general moviegoing public #The355Movie

The good news is it had 355k previews+1.355 Fri. True FSS admits may also be close to 355k

12 hours ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

1.8 bill - China would likely mean 2.15-2.2bil Minimum 

yes, this will make 1.8B when all is said and done (760M+ dom aka over Avatar and 1B+ OS). And there's no doubt that it would have passed 2B easily with China release. Insane success any way you slice it. 

17 hours ago, Product Driven Legion said:

Yeah, for Jan&Feb to be weak certainly sucks for Jan&Feb! I’m just skeptical of the claim that it hurts like, April.

It "hurts" for theater owners (aka stockholders), with a lower revenue expectations, but also gives a chance to catch up after the NWH/holiday onslaught for which no one was adequately prepared, and maybe spend some of that recent cash on fixing the issues that have been pushed to back burner while in a pandemic.

January and February typically account for 15%-16.5% of annual box office, slightly below average, though some years (2011 & 2013 recently) have been weaker and dipped below 14%. But its also a more awards/adult heavy type of business, the holiday leftovers and few blockbusters aside, so the overall impact is less than the more family friendly months

The long term problem remains that the release calendar is extremely top-heavy, so while we may see some more "normal" openings from the big titles, there isn't much in the mid or lower level to really keep the overall numbers up

18 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I agree.

I get the impression that Jackass’ fan base probably aren’t worried about covid lol

It actually takes a true intellectual to appreciate Jackass. Like Rick & Morty, you have to have a high IQ to understand it.

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1