Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (1/7-9) | The 355 - 350K Previews (5K short!)

12 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Dead weekend, but thinking of the next few months starting April, movies will cannibalize eachother. They'll have to deal with Corona and competition. I think legs will be very weak for most movies

Omicron is going to burn covid out for a lot of the world. As for legs, if they are shorter it just means opening weekend will be larger.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AdrianL said:

Gucci passing 50m when a Spielberg directed WSS is struggling to hit 40m is pretty crazy. Go Gaga. 

Fox/Disney is probably kicking the themselves that they tried so hard to sell Harry Styles on The Little Mermaid instead of West Side Story... A young star with a huge, active fanbase would have made a big difference for WSS in this landscape. I don't think Ansel significantly hurt the WSS box office, but if Tony or Maria had been played by a famous singer, it would have helped.

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

I'm pretty sure in normal times House of Gucci would've easily made $100M+. When I saw it opening weekend at least 90% of the audience was over 60.

For sure, it's a glossy crime drama by Ridley Scott, led by a big pop star who relentlessly promoted it and she's getting lots of nominations. Before, it opens to $30-40 million with 3.5x legs. As it is, there's been two holiday periods to boost it and it's still just getting past $50 million. And that's a bright spot! It just shows how much box office expectations have changed for movies that aren't part of a preexisting franchise, horror or don't appeal to young men.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 4

I decided to check out 355 cause the afternoon showing was close to empty lol and I felt like it was actually pretty watchable? I liked the cast but totally something that someone doesn't have to rush to see in a theater unless you're a stan of anyone in the cast.

Also... still got Turning Red as a trailer. Lol 

Edited by AdrianL

7 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Fox/Disney is probably kicking the themselves that they tried so hard to sell Harry Styles on The Little Mermaid instead of West Side Story... A young star with a huge, active fanbase would have made a big difference for WSS in this landscape. I don't think Ansel significantly hurt the WSS box office, but if Tony or Maria had been played by a famous singer, it would have helped.

I don't think Elgort would significantly hurt the BO prospects of a random movie but an adaptation of an NY set interracial romance Broadway musical whose target demo are left-leaning crowds, especially progressive women? I think he definitely put them off from at least making it a pandemic must see like Gucci. It's also the reason why I think you are very right that Harry would have taken it to blockbuster status as his fanbase would have been interested in the film if HE were in it.

13 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

For sure, it's a glossy crime drama by Ridley Scott, led by a big pop star who relentlessly promoted it and she's getting lots of nominations. Before, it opens to $30-40 million with 3.5x legs. As it is, there's been two holiday periods to boost it and it's still just getting past $50 million. And that's a bright spot! It just shows how much box office expectations have changed for movies that aren't part of a preexisting franchise, horror or don't appeal to young men.

That's actually probably why Disney decided to make Turning Red a D+ exclusive tbh (being a comedy that was gonna be sold primarily to the still-yet-to-return-in-full-force crowd of young girls without the action orientation of Raya or the musical/LMM association of Encanto that was always gonna make those titles more appealing to a broader audience than the "10 and under" demographic that was definitely going to be the main targets for Red and Luca). Also why Lightyear and most likely Disney Animation's Strange World around Thanksgiving (not much is known about it at the moment but from what's out there it's also gonna be of the action/adventure variety) are likely safe from streaming releases since small children and their parents aren't the only demos those movies will be going after.

• Like 1