Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (1/7-9) | The 355 - 350K Previews (5K short!)

Really good weekend coming off one long holiday period. With competition going to be very light for a while and theater drops not likely to be severe because of it, we're likely going to be seeing some super strong holds in the weeks ahead. Spider-Man should end up eclipsing Avatar, Sing 2 clearly wasn't hurt much by becoming available on PVOD this weekend and has an outside shot at making the top 5 of 2021 if it has Croods 2-style legs (not impossible since it's now the only family film on the market until April), West Side Story will do $40M+ with two months of awards buzz to carry it. Watch Disney try to do whatever they can to A Wrinkle in Time Encanto past $100M lmao.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Really good weekend coming off one long holiday period. With competition going to be very light for a while and theater drops not likely to be severe because of it, we're likely going to be seeing some super strong holds in the weeks ahead. Spider-Man should end up eclipsing Avatar, Sing 2 clearly wasn't hurt much by becoming available on PVOD this weekend and has an outside shot at making the top 5 of 2021 if it has Croods 2-style legs (not impossible since it's now the only family film on the market until April), West Side Story will do $40M+ with two months of awards buzz to carry it. Watch Disney try to do whatever they can to A Wrinkle in Time Encanto past $100M lmao.

Encanto is too far away. Maybe if it was over 96M or something.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RiddlerXXR said:

Yea we would have to drop domestic admissions down by probably 10% for a decade or more. I don't know of any way to confirm that ATP though, or how they're getting it. 

I believe they compile admit data of top chains and based on that estimate the nationwide no. 

How reliable is the part they estimate I don't know. They may be giving some number for public display, if anyone want I guess visit there website & check via free trial or something.

3 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

This is literally the first time I've heard anyone say anything remotely positive about him in the film. As for Spielberg, I don't think he would've really cared about sticking to Elgort if this controversy came up during the casting process and the studio asked him to change his pick.

first time? Read the reviews and I’m sure you’ll have a significant number that lauded him. The film would not work if he was weak in it.  There’s tons of people even on this forum that loved the movie and liked him in it. 

I thought like he was a throwback to idols of yesteryear personally.  Fit the period perfectly. 

if Styles had been in it instead, isn’t there just as much risk a similar story would come out about him? I mean, that guy was a front page womaniser for years - but that would be ok right as Twitter haven’t got mad at him yet. 

we can’t have internet outrage over conjecture dictating people’s careers.  No matter how much that crowd try. 

a)there is no magic casting choice that saves west side story from flopping

b)ansel is very good in the movie (was honestly close to putting him on my BOFFY ballot)

c)spielberg 100% would not have cast him if he had been cansel'd before production began. this is the man who got mad about tom cruise's couch jumping overshadowing the WOTW press tour and never worked with him again. doesn't strike me as a filmmaker who wants to attract controversy at all.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Anybody thinking Turning Red going to Disney+ is omicron related is kidding themselves. 

I expect the fallout to really kick into high gear this week in public within the Mouse House. 

what fallout lol

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

a)there is no magic casting choice that saves west side story from flopping

b)ansel is very good in the movie (was honestly close to putting him on my BOFFY ballot)

c)spielberg 100% would not have cast him if he had been cansel'd before production began. this is the man who got mad about tom cruise's couch jumping overshadowing the WOTW press tour and never worked with him again. doesn't strike me as a filmmaker who wants to attract controversy at all.

agree with you that he wouldn’t have cast him. Thankfully for the quality of the film, the production beat the social media trend. 

This movie will be around for decades. It’s easily one of the best films of the year, in no small part thanks to them nailing the casting of both leads. If they didn’t work then the movie wouldn’t be what it is. 

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

There is literally nothing coming for next 2 months. NWH date is peak luck. Can see it reach $750M+ DOM.

I'm seeing $735M but $750M is likely too, $710M is locked

Edited by LPLC

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

we’ll see. I’m fully expecting things to get public and potentially embarrassing for Disney pretty soon. 

Good. There have been too many piss poor decisions made in the last 18 months for this to continue. Something needs to happen. 

• Like 4

It sucks that January and February are empty. People will get used to not going to the theaters again. Thank God The Batman releases in March to get things going again, but the routine of going to the theater will be disrupted again by these two empty months

• Like 2
  • Sad 1