Eric Duncan

MLK 2021 Weekend Thread | Scream 3.5 Previews

https://deadline.com/2022/01/scream-spider-man-weekend-box-office-mlk-1234912797/

Paramount-Spyglass Media’s Scream made $3.5M from Thursday night previews that began at 7PM at roughly 3,000 theaters.

That’s a healthy take for a horror movie during the pandemic, pacing behind Halloween Kills and A Quiet Place II‘s Thursday nights which were $4.8M each and not too far behind pre-pandemic MLK weekend thriller Glass which did $3.7M. Glass saw a 3-day of $40M, but don’t go comping Scream to that M. Night Shyamalan title yet given the erratic moviegoer attendance during the pandemic.

• Like 6

I’m happy with $3.5m. I know the tracking thread mostly indicated more than that, but I’m good with $3.5m. It points to an opening in the 30’s, instead of the high teens like Scream 4. 

Following the multipliers of all of last years’ horror films gives it a range of $25.6m-$40.5m for the 3 day. Hopefully it can get into the 30’s, that’s great. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

What I anecdotally have seen is that Thursday preview sales were somewhat weak, but Friday/Saturday shows are nearly sold out and theaters are rushing to add more.  The 355 is going to see its late shows suddenly disappear.  

I need you around this weekend 😂
If you have time tomorrow would you please be able to share a Friday number when you get one? 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

What I anecdotally have seen is that Thursday preview sales were somewhat weak, but Friday/Saturday shows are nearly sold out and theaters are rushing to add more.  The 355 is going to see its late shows suddenly disappear.  

Nice to hear! Do you think that $50M 4-day target is still viable? I think it'll narrowly miss it at this point.

So sad I can’t make it this weekend. My friend who really wants to see it got COVID and needs to hole up until next Wednesday. So won’t be helping out opening weekend, but definitely going to help out decrease that second weekend drop. 

• Thanks 1