Eric Atreides

MLK 2021 Weekend Thread | Scream 3.5 Previews

Just now, Ryan Reynolds said:

horror is still king , where is a new Nightmare on Elm Street movie ?

Rights issues. The Craven estate has the movie rights and domestic rights which come with it, but New Line has international rights.

Easy way to get out of the jam is for the Craven estate to make a deal with New Line, but we don't know if that will happen or not.

The rights issues here are not as complex as Friday the 13th thankfully. There, the writer of the original movie owns the rights to the movie, but the issue there is that Jason as we know him with the hockey mask is not a major character in that movie, so to use Jason he will need a deal with New Line who own the other movies and the international distribution. To add to the craziness, Paramount owns the title Friday the 13th, so they can't make a movie with that title without Paramount agreeing.

• Like 1

Hotel Transylvania 4 was pretty good. Continues the streak of perfectly entertaining movies from the franchise. No highs, but no lows either in the movies of this franchise.

My daughter couldn't breathe by laughing so hard at a few comedy setpieces in it. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

$5.5m for Spider-Man

Fucking banging. If this sticks (and I'm aware that 5.3 actual or whatever is well withing the range of reasons for an est at this time of night) then Sixth Sense is in play after all :ohmygod:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Hotel Transylvania 4 was pretty good. Continues the streak of perfectly entertaining movies from the franchise. No highs, but no lows either in the movies of this franchise.

My daughter couldn't breathe by laughing so hard at a few comedy setpieces in it. 

Just started it a few minutes ago. The guy voicing Drac isn't bad, but the lack of Adam Sandler is super distracting, especially since Samberg and Gomez are still in their roles.

1 minute ago, Eric Riley said:

Just started it a few minutes ago. The guy voicing Drac isn't bad, but the lack of Adam Sandler is super distracting, especially since Samberg and Gomez are still in their roles.

Yeah, he never goes full Sandler.

53 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Rights issues. The Craven estate has the movie rights and domestic rights which come with it, but New Line has international rights.

Easy way to get out of the jam is for the Craven estate to make a deal with New Line, but we don't know if that will happen or not.

The rights issues here are not as complex as Friday the 13th thankfully. There, the writer of the original movie owns the rights to the movie, but the issue there is that Jason as we know him with the hockey mask is not a major character in that movie, so to use Jason he will need a deal with New Line who own the other movies and the international distribution. To add to the craziness, Paramount owns the title Friday the 13th, so they can't make a movie with that title without Paramount agreeing.

They'll work out something with Friday the 13th eventually. There's too much money on the table for all sides to not eventually agree to something. . . that or find a clever loophole

Edited by Yandereprime101189

F13 opened to 40.5m in 2009. At the time, literally one of the biggest horror openings ever.

I Am Legend- 71m

Hannibal- 58m

F14- 40.5m

Now it's 14th knocked out by likes of It and Halloween. Consider inflation and PLF, a new one would surely do over 50m. 

The Nightmare on Elm Street in 2010 had a 32.9m opening with even worse reviews. Nowadays that's 40million even without Robert Englund.

Horror and Disney/Marvel IPs will be what survives since they bring in the zoomers and millennials. Young males remain the top moviegoing demographic

1 hour ago, Eric Riley said:

Finished it and...meh. Everything here felt pretty straight to video, even the animation quality, minus a few fun and inventive sequences. This really benefitted going straight to Amazon, because I feel its intended theatrical release would have garnered some harsher responses. The Ninja cameo was almost surreal to me. I can handle Vine stars and TikTokers invading Hollywood, but Twitch streamers are just a step too far.

773.5 or so needed to match TROS true FSS legs, think we might get there after all. Legging out quite well in the end even if various holiday timings, omicron, closures etc made the first few weeks a lil bumpy.