The Wild Eric

Horizon Part 1 | Kevin Costner-directed Western | June 28, 2024

58 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

So is this two parter gonna be two of the four films or are we still getting 3 more films after this?

This is 2 of the 4, not the first film split over 2 parts.

Pure speculation on my part, but perhaps due to the strikes they were able to finish Parts 1 and 2 in post early and then they'll do Parts 3-4 later.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Word on the streets of LA must be that Mission: Impossible is on the move if they went for 6/28.

They apparently were still filming when the strike began, so that wouldn't be too surprising, and it would probably do better in a less crowded part of the calendar.

Speaking of, I was a little surprised to look at the summer 2024 schedule and notice that this is basically the first movie with a real piece of marketing from the season. I imagine some of that is due to strike concerns, but still an impressive vote of confidence by WB. Hopefully they plan on playing this in front of Killers of the Flower Moon - if that breaks out as much as it looks like it could, it could be another sign of a strong appetite for these kind of sprawling historical epics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonathanMB said:

f Killers of the Flower Moon - if that breaks out as much as it looks like it could,

what does it ceiling currently look like?

and its pretty much certain that Mission is moving

On 4/28/2023 at 1:29 PM, TheDude391 said:

Sam Worthington in part 1, Giovanni in part 2? Well that confirms it, Kevin Costner is an Avatar Stan.

Just HOW big is that Yellowstone clout to ensure back to back filming of 4 movies before the first has even performed? I can't wait for these

But that's where the weird release comes in. According to Utah tax credits, they're spending ~100M/110M net for parts 1 & 2 combined if ~10M of that is coming directly from Costner...that's basically just the Magnificent 7's budget with presumably a similar marketing with "only" Costner really on the backend. 

So yeah, that's a big investment but it's not that much bigger than pre-committing to the sequel of a $100M film. This seems more akin to precommitting to making 2 Tomb Raider films in 2018. 

yellowstone season 5 was the 12th or so biggest DVD/Blu-Ray seller of the year as of the end of August (Circana data). 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

budget information
Horizon: An American Saga
Estimated Utah Spend: $53,925,008
Horizon: An American Saga 2
Estimated Utah Spend: $75,000,000

Both of which are subject to a 25% rebate

https://film.utah.gov/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/IncentiveProgram_SummaryFAQ_July2023.pdf

https://film.utah.gov/press/5-11-2023/

https://film.utah.gov/press/6-9-2022/

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TheDude391 said:

This is 2 of the 4, not the first film split over 2 parts.

Pure speculation on my part, but perhaps due to the strikes they were able to finish Parts 1 and 2 in post early and then they'll do Parts 3-4 later.

Just found out Giovanni Ribsi is in the sequel and he wasn't mentioned here. So I'm guessing this is literally just the first film split into two parts? Im guessing its like over 4 hours long and they split it cuz of that