Kalo

Kalo's 2021 in review: a countdown.

Hello everyone, it’s now 2022 and for better or worse 2021 is behind us now, as is a year of movie history. So, I thought I would do a run-down of 2021 for me in film and tv! Yeah, I decided I didn’t really want to do a regular countdown and instead I would to a year in review for 2021. Which I will separate by month, which I will review what I have seen that came out in that month, I will do one for the best movie and best series then pick the best content and probably do a run-down of every movie I saw in theaters that month (if any). I will also write a review for an older movie I watched for the first time that month, I may do more than one sometimes and add things here and there. But I will try and stick to a 12-post rundown so they will be longer posts. I will probably list my top 10 favorite movies and tv shows in a post at the end of the rundown as well. As of writing this I have seen 40 movies and 15 tv shows released in 2021. I might clock in on a couple more before finishing this. 

I wanted to do this here to have an outlet to review the stuff that interests me. I know I haven’t been super active here the last year or so, so this is just as much for me as you guys if you are interested in reading it I am most grateful, feel free to like, comment, agree or disagree with my choices, all I ask is that you keep it respectful. I thought I would add some personal stuff about what was going on in my life at the time it would give some insight into who is Kalo. I had a pretty turbulent year with some pretty cool stuff and some not so great stuff going on, movies have always been my escape from the troubles in the real world, cause let's face it, life is hard and it sucks sometimes. but they are more than that to be, they are my passion I love watching them and admiring the work that went into making them, even if they aren't always the best movies ever, I love tv too and I think most of the better storytelling is being told in tv format now, there is just more time to work with it and get to know the characters with tv, so I will be focusing on that almost as much as film so if you find an interest in that maybe it will be a little more unique than some of these countdowns. Anyways lets get to it and I hope you enjoy my 2021 year in review!

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 3

January 2021

January 2021 was an interesting time for me. It was not the best time of my life, but it was interesting, after the craziness of 2020. I was ready for the year to be over, but I wasn’t sure 2021 would be much better (thankfully for me it was!). but it started a bit rough, due to reasons that had nothing to do with money my roommate/tenant asked me to leave in October and I was living in a loft in a church building for a couple of months thanks to the kindness of the pastor that I knew. It was extremely difficult to find available places for rent within reasonable distance from where I worked, I also took on a third job the beginning of the month, so I was working about 6 days a week double jobs about 3 to 4 of those days. I really didn’t watch much this month and I didn’t go to the theater at all, there wasn’t much I wanted to see playing (there wasn’t much playing period and I had already seen WW84 last month) and I really didn’t have time. But there was one silver lining to entertainment to crazy time period in history and it wasn’t on the big screen and in fact it wasn’t even a movie.

"What is grief if not Love persevering?" 

897f4c77a01a1f55c77bf52260259905.jpg

Best Content of the Month: WandaVision Streaming Jan 15th 2021 on Disney+ 

(Spoilers in review so beware)

A Disney+ Original And the first MCU Series to premiere on Disney+ as well as (thanks to the pandemic, being the first of Phase four for the MCU. it released one episode a week starting Jan 15th. Lasting 9 episodes and concluding it’s run, on March 5th. There was a lot resting on WandaVision’s shoulders to carry the MCU into the next era. And in my humble opinion it delivered in spades.

It was easily my most anticipated of the 3 shows already announced at the time. Just the premise itself intrigued me. Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany are outstanding in the leading rules, as well as Katherine Hawn who kind of steals the show. I think what WandaVison captured so well was the process of dealing with loss, it’s a serious topical that is done quite often, but often comes off as just depressing or insincere. WanadaVision’s time of release was kind of perfect after everyone communally endured 2020, which I don’t think there is a single person who wasn’t affected by that year in some way, and this show just felt like it was there saying, I know it’s not ok, but I am here, to help you deal with it.

WandaVision captures this essence of loss and the trauma that comes with it, in a realistic way, despite it being set in this crazy tv sitcom like world Wanda has created somehow working as a form of denial and coping mechanism for Wanda’s grief, we often cling to things that comfort us from our past way to avoid our grief of the present. and Elizabeth Olsen just takes this material and just chews it up and ends of giving not only one of the best performances of the MUC but one of the best performances of 2021, it is that good. Paul Bettany is the perfect counterbalance to her and their chemistry just of the charts together. And the way the story unfolds kind of leaving you in the dark at first and revealing bit by bit what is really going on, as a unraveling of Wanda’s grief coming to the surface. And have some truly great dialogue. This show deserves all the praise it gets a truly unique experience it manages to combine truly funny comedy while being a tear-jerking drama simultaneously.  Its action scenes may not be quite as interesting as the rest of the series. But they are fine. And everything else works so well it makes this one of my all-time favorite MCU experiences. It’s got to be a 10 out of 10 for me.

Best movie

A+

Best Movie:

Our-Friend-movie-2021.jpg?resize=600%2C3

Our Friend released Jan 22nd 2021

Our Friend

I did not watch this movie until recently there really wasn’t many options to be honest. And techinlly it is the only Jan 2021 release I have seen. With January 2021 being high on covid cases, there was very little movies released in theaters and only about fifty percent of movie theaters were even open. But I saw this movie had decent reviews and I liked the actors involved. I didn’t realize it was a story about cancer, I really don’t like watching these kinds of movies very often, but this was pretty decent the acting was great, and the story felt unique enough to stand out, it was a bit of a downer and very emotional, but there was a kind of solace here that there isn’t always in films like this

B+

Best first viewing: (not released in 2021)

The-Fundamentals-of-Caring.jpg

The Fundamentals of Caring (2016)

This is the only new viewing I had in January 2021. I watched it January 30th with a buddy of mine, who was a very temporary roommate at the time. It was his recommendation.

And I liked it, before having a father who was almost completely paralyzed for a month after a stroke, I did not know everything a caregiver gives up for someone else, it is astounding you have to be a certain kind of person to do this for a career, I had to do it part time temporary, and it is draining. Thankfully my father recovered to a degree and is mostly self-functioning (he does still have a wheelchair though, that he can get out of but needs when he gets tired). I just wanted to give shout out to all caregivers out there, you are amazing.

But yeah, this movie was decent, it was funny heartfelt the premise was pretty basic. Paul Rudd decides to take his patient to a giant hole in the ground on a very awkward road trip.

B+

That pretty much wraps it up for January 2021. Like I said I didn’t watch a lot in that time. If anyone has more recommendations for movies (or shows) that came out then then let me know.

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 3

February 2021

February 2021 wasn’t a lot better than January for me, I still couldn’t find a house and ended up having to move back in with my parent for a brief time, while working 3 jobs all about 40 minutes away from home. It was crazy. But there as a bright spot to it. decided I needed a vacation though and my uncle invited me to stay with him in Florida for a while, so the end of the month I traded 30-40 degree NC winter weather for mid 60s Florida beaches. It was definitely the best part of my month it was actually the first time I stayed outside of my state since the start of the pandemic, (I went to a theater in VA to see TENET in September cause theaters were still closed and that’s about it, well I stayed at the beach in NC but still same state) so it was long overdo and it was the start of my resolution to travel as much as possible in 2021 after pretty much being cooped up for a year.

I did watch a few more movies than in January, a couple on the plan lol, but I still didn’t make it to the movies that month so that would mark the second month in a role for me.

The best content from February would again be in the form of TV for me and it was kind of unexpected.

Best Content/ Best TV series:

Superman & Lois' Has Super Familiar Faces — Here's Where You've Seen These  Stars Before

Superman and Lois (2021)

This show just kind of came out of nowhere, I had heard they were making it, but kind of forgot about it. I had heard it was going to be on the CW, and I hadn’t really been hooked on a show from there since Smallville, Arrow and The Flash were ok, but their seasons were too long, and they just weren’t quite to the level to keep me interested to watch that many seasons of them.

Being a huge Superman fan though like Superman is my favorite superhero. So, I decided to give it a shot and watch the Pilot. And was kind of blown away to be honest. It was everything a show about Superman should be. The story was great and more focused. And finally, they got what mold works best for his story: Family Drama. Yeah, everyone may not agree with this, but Superman as a character works better when he is dealing with moral dilemmas and joggling being a superhero with his personal life. In this case raising his twin son with his now wife Lois Lane. It may not have the same cast but it is in my opinion a spiritual sequel to Smallville. Tyler Hoechlin and Elizabeth Tulloch are both fantastic as the leading roles of Clark and Lois. Hoechlin embodies a Superman who has to now deal with the issues of being a father, and Tulloch who is great as world renowned news report Lois Lane. Also adds a maternal layer we have never really gotten to see from Lois on the screen yet. A softer, over-protective mother side. Their Sons Jordan and Jonathan while both very different work together and have a great dynamic on screen. Jonathan in particular is a standout character. The shows are shot beautifully with a larger budget then previous series. Every episode is well thought out and written with care and while there isn’t as much action as some superhero flicks, when it does come it is earned and at times quite breath taking. In short, this series is great it is like if Superman for All Seasons and All-Star Superman had a baby. Finally, we get the Superman we deserve. It’s a rare 10 out of 10 for me. And one of only two of the year.

Best film release 

On Location: Chloé Zhao's 'Nomadland' Is a Love Letter to America's Wide  Open Spaces | Condé Nast Traveler

Nomadland Feb 19th 2021.

Ok this is considered a 2020 release because of it was an Oscar film and during the pandemic but it was released in February 2021. So, I consider it a 2021 release. And since I don’t even consider the Oscars relevant anymore, I don’t care. 
Anyways this movie was actually pretty good. It’s a bit of a downer but the Cinematography is gorgeous, and Frances McDormand is great as always as the title “Nomad” in the film, a great modern western and overview of the American northwest. It wasn’t my favorite film of “2020” by any means. But with it’s lean slate it was one of the better ones.

also worth watching:

minari12.jpg

Minari (2021)

Best first viewing:

Palm Springs' – a romantic time-loop movie starring Andy Samberg, Cristin  Milioti - SaportaReport

Palm Springs (2020)

Since I didn't do my top films of 2020 (cause 2020 pretty much sucked).

Here it is. my favorite film of 2020. (if you don't count Hamilton cause it's technically a stage musical).

This movie somehow managed to get the feel of 2020 down to a tie (if you were staying at a luxury resort at the beach anyways).

I had to go out and work, so my experience wasn't quite the same as everyone else. 

But the days were repetitive go to work, wear a mask, stay away from people. sleep repeat. thankfully this was also an escapists comedy and the best "time" loop film since "ground-Hog day." it was just super funny charming and both of the leads were great. and it ended up having alot of heart and a moral to "not be a shitty person" at the end. I only saw about 20 releases from 2020. so this it's like groundbreaking or anything. but I really loved this movie and it gives me fuzzy warm feelings to thinking about it.

still need to watch

Judas_and_the_Black_Messiah.jpg

• Like 2

March 2021

March was starting to look up for me, I found a new car and got a possible lead on an apartment. Went on a nice hike in Virginia with some horses. I also worked my butt off this month and still couldn’t find time to go to the movies (although really the only thing that interested me was Raya and the Last Dragon)

Best film release:

Zack Snyder's Justice League review - was Snyder Cut worth it?

Zack Snyder's Justice League Streaming on HBOMAX 3.18.21

I am kind of eating crow with this review, I had been known as a big Snyder hater up until recently and well I still don’t think he is the best director ever, I just don’t like his take on Superman, or more like how he seems to no like the character and try to change him to make him more moody, dark and well selfish. And This Justice League movie works, mostly because Superman’s rule is quite limited, and Zack Snyder got to see his vison come to life. Now I went into this film with very little expectations and wasn’t even sure I was going to watch it, cause one, JL 2017 sucked and two I am not a big Snyder fan. But a friend of mine invited me over to watch it and it was kind of awesome. well, this is way I consider this a completely different movie from the 2017 movie, I liked it, a lot. It was long (really long) and slower paced and there as a lot of slow motion used. But the story had time to breath, it felt epic, and we got to see character’s stories fleshed out so that they made since and had impact on the screen. Namely The Flash and Cyborg. Who are pretty much the best part of this version of the film. I considered this a new movie. Almost all the scenes are redone or re-edited, and additional footage was filmed for for this "Cut" of the film. So, it is more than just an extended version of the film, yes it’s four hours long, just think of it as a mini series and it was be easy to watch (maybe in two sittings). I would give this a shot if you are at all interested in superheroes or were very disappointed with LJ 2017. You might be surprised, it is very good. 

Best TV series:

Invincible Animated Series: First Look at Character Designs From Amazon's  Superhero Series - IGN

Invincible releasing 3.26.21

this list is really super hero heavy right now isn't it? well it won't be as much as I go on. but right now it is one of the better main-stream genres popular right now and I do like it, even if it's a little over saturated in the market. and Invincible is quite good, it's animated, gory, has more mature themes and also has a lot of heart and a bit of mystery to it. it was a little more graphic than I would prefer, but the story was engaging enough to overlook it. a very solid and somewhat unique (for the genre) take on superheroes and villains'

Also worth checking out:

The Falcon and Winter Soldier: 2021 Release Date, Cast, Rumors

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier Streaming March 19th on Disney+ 

Not as good as WandaVison and probably my least favorite Disney+ Marvel show so far. but it was still good, and even great at parts. however it was too political and in a decisive way. I didn't like the direction they took with Sam's character they made him more of a "cause" then a character and they sacrificed a lot of good development he could have had. despite that Anthony Mackie still gave a great performance for what he had to work with. and ends up (Spoiler) with a truly awesome Captain America Suite.  Sabastian Stan was great as Bucky maybe the highlight, John Walker was a very interesting Non-villain Villain? and Karli Morgenthau was notable for having the most vague motivations ever to radicalize a group of kids to fight for her cause "One World, One People" 

Best first viewing 

Film Forum · M (1931) & M (1951)

M (1931)

M is an early 1930s film noir and murder mystery thriller. a German film it is perhaps one of the best I have seen from to come from there. the lighting, camera working and acting are all top notch and this movie holds up quite well even by today's standards. one of the best crime films I've ever seen.

Also worth checking out:

Exclusive Trailer for Sound of Metal - YouTube

Sound of Metal (2020)

One of the best films of 2020. Riz Ahmed nails it as a Punk Metal rocker who tragically loses his hearing.  One of the best uses of "Sound" I've seen implemented in a film before. it's a little depressing at parts, but there is a bit of serenity to it as well.

Still need to watch:

Raya and the Last Dragon - Movies on Google Play

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, CJohn said:

Falcon and the Winter Soldier is ass. Great pick with Superman & Lois tho.

I definitely had my issues with that show. Dancing Zemo saved it though :lol: Superman and Lois is much better though.

April 2021 Part 1: The Chosen 

April was a fantastic month for me, maybe the best month of the year. I found a new car I had been needing and through it found the apartment I am now living in which I moved into beginning of May. I went to a Comic Con in Nashville TN where I got to meet an actual Star Wars actor. I went hiking in TN and I also finally returned to the movie theater for the first time since Dec 2020.

It was an epic month.

Best New Content: 

270934499_1112874649505753_5918380648883

The Chosen Season 2 Premiered April 4th 2021

Being raised a devote Christian I was exposed to my fair show of Christian films and tv growing up. And most Christians would agree the production quality of most (not all) of those productions were lacking. Well The Chosen is the rare exception, not only is the production value quite good, it does something very bold and yet manages to be mostly uncontroversial. It deviates from the Bible, without really changing it. How does it do this? Well, it depict the miracles and sermons Jesus performs. And when it does it is, for the most part, accurate the scripture. but it does something unique in that it chooses to focus on the people around Jesus who's life's he touched on his time on earth, it shows their back stories, their struggles, and shows that they were far from perfect, just like us. it is very well written as this could easily come off as over the top or too far a deviation from the source materiel, and it to do neither it manages feel authentic and stick true to the heart of the scripture and trust the audience enough to know this is a series and not a word for word retelling of the bible. The pace of the show is kind of a slow burn almost giving it a "Religious" Lord of the Rings" epic feel, with well lots of walking and talking. Each episodes leading up to a miracle or revolution that Jesus performs. 

Being Crowd funded this show is very unique as that is is completely funded by people who want to see it and then they film it and release it to watch for free! and they managed to do it without the help of the mainstream studio system and still get an authentic look, it's fairy high budget all things considered, and the attention to the details of what life looked like around 33 A.D is extraordinary, yeah there might be a prop that looks a bit modern here and there but it blends right in with the set so well you barely notice it. and the acting is good! maybe not Emmy worthy but not cringle like a lot of productions in this vein. 

The Chosen John GIF - The Chosen John Big James - Discover & Share GIFs

I do not feel you need to be a Christian to enjoy this show either, over the years I have struggled with my faith and truth be told I still do in many ways. but this show mangles to spread the Gospel without being Judgemental and honestly kind of helped re-affirm my faith. and if your not religious you can enjoy it as a story with good writing and a incentive to be good without beating yourself up about it, I know this is really long so I will end here and finish the rest my my April countdown later. 

Note: Believe it or not this is the largest crowd funded show of all time! and the first ever multi-season show depicting the life of Christ! Season 3 is already funded and has began production. and Season 4 is already 17% funded as well. I cannot want for the premiere of Season 3 which should arrive later this year!

April 2021 Part 2 

Best Show (That isn't the Chosen)

Shadow and Bone review: Netflix's TV adaptation is muddled and joyless - Vox

Shadow and Bone (4.23.21 (NETFLIX))

Shadow and Bone is a YA Fantasy series that is based upon the book series of the same name.

Young Adult fantasy novels being adapted to the screen is not a new thing, but most do not really live up to the hype and while I hadn't read the series of S&B before watching season one. I was intrigued by the trailers and decided to give it a shot (plus I'm a fantasy geek and will watch almost anything in that genre). this show really surprised me, the young leads are great, the story is well paced and well written for the most part and it has gorgeous visuals and set designs, it's basically everything that a show that came out later in the year should have been.  Jessie Mei Li is great as the lead and I really look forward to season 2. In the meantime I have finally started the novel and we'll see how they compare.

Tumblr

First time Back to the movies 

9 Things We Want To See In The Mortal Kombat (2021) Sequel | CBR

Mortal Kombat (4.24.21)

And my first Theater experience of 2021 was none other than Mortal Kombat. (going from Dec when I was WW84, until late April was almost unheard of for me to not see a movie in theaters, but there really wasn't much to see tbh)

I saw this opening weekend with my best friend, and it was fine, it was not the worst video game adaption, but it wasn’t great either, It had some fun, if super over the top and extremely gory action sequences, will the whole movie was kind of just a bunch of action sequences to be honest. I wasn’t really the biggest Mortal Kombat fan before, my biggest memory of the game is watching my brothers play the Saga Genesis game when I was like 6 and then my mom getting mad at me for watching such a violent game. (Which it was for a 1990s 16bit game). But yeah, this movie was very cheese ball, but it was entertaining enough pop corn movie and a decent start to get back into the theater going spirit I’d give it a B- maybe a C+

Best first viewing: 

A Hidden Life (2019) - IMDb

A Hidden Life (2019)

I am a huge Terrence Malick fan I love most of his films, Bandands, The Tree of lie, Days of Heaven, they are all great films with a gorgeous look and strong messages, and while some of his more recent work has been a little "experimental" to say the least.  I can gladly say "A Hidden life" goes back to his roots of more classic story-telling. while still being very much a Terrence Malick film, it's a period piece set around a family living in the mountains of Austria during world war II. the husband Franz, refuses to fight for the Nazi and both receive persecution for their defiance to their government, this story is told beautifully about a man who refuses to go against what he believes is right, against extreme circumstances. it's a sobering heart breaking story and all to easy to relate to. the direction, acting and cinematography are all superb and I would highly recommend this movie to anyone, one of Malick's best.

Also Great:

5 Reasons: The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)

The Adventures of Robin Hood. (1938)

This movie was a delight, it's campy. its swashbuckling, it's funny. Errol Flynn is great, if this movie were released in the 2010s. there would probably be a thousand sequels and it would have it's own cinematic universe. 

But it wasn't and it's just a really great 1930s action comedy. 

May 2021

May 2021 was great, I got a a raise and went full time at my new jobs so I could quit my old one and didn't have to work 3 jobs anymore. and I finally found and moved into my own apartment so my brief time back at my parents was over. it was also the first really promising month at the box office in 2021! (although sadly we are not nearly back to where I'd hope we be by now box office wise).

Best in theaters: 

A Quiet Place Part II (2020) - IMDb

A Quiet Place Part II

I was a pretty big fan of the first Quiet place movie. it was a unique premise exacted executed quite well, and it was actually pretty scary on top of being a good family drama, John Krasinski being back behind the camera again gave me hope that the sequel would at least be good, and it was very good! it felt like an organic continuation of the first film and all the cast repeated their excellent performances from the the last film, with Millicent Simmonds, once again giving a standout performance.

Runner up: 

Cruella' director Craig Gillespie on big, brash movie perfect for return to  theaters - ABC7 New York

Cruella (2021)

Now this movie surprised me, most Disney live action adaptions are not that great, or entertaining but forgettable.

With Emma Stone and Emma Thompson behind the camera I decided to give it a shot that and I was starved for new movie theater content at this point, this movie was like really good, it's funny had great performances and a killer soundtrack, and holy cow it earned that best costume award. I remember thinking while watching it, if this doesn't win best costumes I don't know what will. Now it's not perfect it's a bit cheesy at parts and it's spin-off about a Disney villain who skins dogs! but they do manage to make Cruella somewhat sympathetic and a bit off a bad ass. this might actually be my favorite live action Disney remake so do yourself a favor and watch it if you haven't.

Best at home release:

Dance of the 41' Review: Netflix's drama is a gorgeous tale of closeted gay  love

Dance of the 41 (NETFLIX, May 12, 2021)

This is a Mexican film that I believe was released in it's home country last year, but no release in the US until May 2021 that I can tell so I am counting it.

This movie is so raw! based on a true story about a closeted homosexual aristocrat 1800s Mexico. so it gets pretty intense. the performances are great and the production value is top notch, beware though this movie is heart-breaking and it never made me hate a house wife so much!

Best first watch:

The Green Mile (1999) - IMDb

The Green Mile (1999)

I think this was the only first watch in May for me, but it was a good one, based on a Steven King's Novel. this movie tells the story of a black inmate who appears to have a special gift. and I won't say much more, this movie was moving, emotional, funny at parts and just plain well fantastic I loved this movie, definitely should be on your must watch list.

Best tv show:

Star Wars: The Bad Batch (Disney+)

Let's Talk About Star Wars: The Bad Batch

This is a show that started off strong with an hour long pretty cinematic opener. kind of to run out of steam fast. there were some fantastic episodes here don't get me wrong and if your a Star Wars geek like me it certainly wasn't the worst thing Disney had put out, but it acted like it didn't know what it wanted to be tonally. it was very dark and mature at parts (and that was when it was at its best tbh). but then it would shift to those kind of filler more kiddie episodes, I guess this is a Disney Animation so it should appeal to kids, but it's really just too dark at parts to be viewed that way. well either way this was overall pretty decent and serves as what it looked like for the clones and republic right after the events of order 66 and rise of the Empire and for that reason alone I would say to check it out, it has been renowned for a second season, but I'm still not sure on when it's coming out.

Edited by Kalo