SLAM!

On a Wing and a Prayer | MGM | April 5th, 2023 | Faith-Based Movie | The Pilot Is Dead, Now Dennis Quaid Must Land The Plane And Save His Family

Good premise (though I guess the plane is too small to have a co-pilot?) and release date. War Room opened in late August and did really well for the genre. It seems like there's some life for faith-based movies (American Underdog making more than most of this season's awards bait dramas), maybe this summer will show even more recovery.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Good premise (though I guess the plane is too small to have a co-pilot?) and release date. War Room opened in late August and did really well for the genre. It seems like there's some life for faith-based movies (American Underdog naming more than most of this season's awards bait dramas), maybe this summer will show even more recovery.

As someone who’s followed faith-based theatrical releases for some time, I think this one is one to watch for because out of all the faith based movies out there, this is one that actually has an obviously exciting plot. It’s not the domestic Christian drama that’s been done a million times before, and it’s not the kind of sword and sandals pic that’s also been known to alienate audience—but there’s the classic life and death stakes people crave from movies. With a snappy title and the synergy of MGM’s recent successes with distribution, I’m definitely keeping a close eye on this.

1 hour ago, snarkmachine said:

Is Dennis Quaid religious? I remember he was in another hinky Christian movie a few years back

I don’t know if he’s religious, but religious and conservative roles are a good portion of what he takes nowadays. Recently he’s been in A Dog’s Purpose (and its sequel), I Can Only Imagine, Midway, and American Underdog—so it’s definitely become his niche. Quaid will also be starring as Ronald Reagan in a biopic, and that is expected to be released in 2022 by Sony.

Edited by SLAM!

2 hours ago, SLAM! said:

As someone who’s followed faith-based theatrical releases for some time, I think this one is one to watch for because out of all the faith based movies out there, this is one that actually has an obviously exciting plot. It’s not the domestic Christian drama that’s been done a million times before, and it’s not the kind of sword and sandals pic that’s also been known to alienate audience—but there’s the classic life and death stakes people crave from movies. With a snappy title and the synergy of MGM’s recent successes with distribution, I’m definitely keeping a close eye on this.

The premise is suspenseful but mostly contained within the plane, so that works with what probably won't be the biggest budget.

I thought for sure that "On a Wing and a Prayer" was a tie-in title song to some World War II-era movie, but IMDb says it was only a 2000s documentary before now.

@snarkmachine Quaid is known to be conservative politically, but super religious, IDK. He's in his 60s and was never the biggest star, even in his Hollywood heyday. If he still wants to work in movies, his options are mostly going to be geared to the US "faith-based" audience or all the direct-to-streaming stuff Bruce Willis and Nic Cage are too busy to make. Not too long ago, he was in that thriller where he kept coming back to his old house that he sold and perving on the hot young wife...definitely not a Christian movie, he's no Kirk Cameron or anything.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

On 1/30/2022 at 4:52 PM, SLAM! said:

They actually had the same exact plotline in Left Behind. 😞