Jason

Belle (Ryū to Sobakasu no Hime) | January 14, 2022 | GKIDS | Mamoru Hosoda

https://gkids.com/films/belle/

Belle

A FILM BY MAMORU HOSODA

JAPAN, 2021

From the celebrated Academy Award®-nominated director Mamoru Hosoda and Studio Chizu, creators of Mirai, Wolf Children, Summer Wars, and more, comes a fantastical, heartfelt story of growing up in the age of social media.

Suzu is a shy, everyday high school student living in a rural village. For years, she has only been a shadow of herself. But when she enters “U”, a massive virtual world, she escapes into her online persona as Belle, a gorgeous and globally-beloved singer. One day, her concert is interrupted by a monstrous creature chased by vigilantes. As their hunt escalates, Suzu embarks on an emotional and epic quest to uncover the identity of this mysterious “beast” and to discover her true self in a world where you can be anyone.

Was this thread really not made already? (If it was, I'm sorry, I've apparently lost all ability to find threads.)

I was hoping this can be spoiler in best animated feature race for the Oscar but that didn’t happen. This movie is easily better than Luca and enchanto, both movies are actually quite average as Pixar/ Disney pics. 

poor gkids, they have been under mounting pressure from Disney Pixar and now Netflix is crowding them out from the award race too. 

at least belle score pretty good at the box office. The 2nd biggest box office hit in GKIDS history.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I was hoping this can be spoiler in best animated feature race for the Oscar but that didn’t happen. This movie is easily better than Luca and enchanto, both movies are actually quite average as Pixar/ Disney pics. 

poor gkids, they have been under mounting pressure from Disney Pixar and now Netflix is crowding them out from the award race too. 

at least belle score pretty good at the box office. The 2nd biggest box office hit in GKIDS history.

I haven't seen Encanto yet but this is an easy best of 2021 for me.