filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

Buckley getting nominated for Lost Daughter and Cruz for PM and Drive My Car in Picture is great shit, Plemons probably didn't deserve a nom but honestly who cares, love that guy, good for him. Simmons and Bardem getting over Cooper and.....anyone is demonic.

• Like 2

I'd say I'm surprised that Cooper missed given how strong his movies were and his performances were unlikely to cancel each other out since they were in different categories but he might have been 6th in Supporting behind Simmons (a recent winner who was due another nomination) and gotten in with more screen time (instead of a glorified cameo). Also the universe seems to have conspired against his chances of ever winning an Oscar lol oh well.

21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I just want to know who they're thinking about as host since they seem dead set on having one.

My suggestion? Just get Elmo and Rocco (the single greatest "celebrity" feud ever and anyone who suggests otherwise knows deep down it's true).

Ask one of Zendaya, Holland, Harry Styles to host it, they will draw eyeballs from people who otherwise wouldn't do it

Licorice pizza takes a big blow here, the movie only has three nomination and all because of PTA. Not only they missed Alana Haim , who is on the bubble for best actress, they ignored cooper and everything else. At one point I even doubt if PTA can make it for best director. Guess my hope for PTA to finally have his moment stop here

Also just realized that none of the Actress nominees are from Best Picture titles this year so that really throws things even more off as to who the frontrunner in that category is. I've only seen Tammy Faye (Chastain's fine but the movie itself is a mediocre attempt at redeeming a punchline) and Ricardos (good work from Kidman even if I never bought her once as the Ball we all know) so far so don't have a preference as to who I want to win yet.

Actor is gonna be between Smith and Cumberbatch. Kodi's the strongest out of everyone in Supporting Actor it seems and Supporting Actress is shaping up to be a Jennifer Hudson/Anne Hathaway-style sweep for DeBose.

• Like 1

haven't seen the tammy faye movie (seeing pictures of chastain made up to look like the eraserhead radiator girl has scared me off it) but of the rest of those nominees cruz is easily the best. Colman and kidman are fine, stewart was bad. I'd have preferred Alana Haim or Renata Reinsve from worst person over any of these.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Also, nobody on the boards has discussed it, so am I the only one who thought CODA sucked ass? A corny, broad Hallmark film.

I mean it's corny to a fault, but I think that's what makes it so appealing. It's got charm and heart for days and it still has a good backbone with the family dynamic that makes it captivating.

Though I'll admit part of my appreciation could just come from "Both Sides Now" being an integral plot point. That's a song that makes me emotional even thinking about it.

4 minutes ago, Eric Poirot said:

Did we even see the same movie? So many moments in Spencer gave me chills and it was all on the back of Kristen.

almost all of her dialogue is done in like a breathy near whisper that actually started to get on my nerves. i think it's to hide her bad accent idk. robert downey jr did the same thing in dolittle. 

• Like 3

Gaga and Denis snubs are the ones that bum me out the most, but they were some nice surprises too.

-Happy that Worst Person in the World got a screenplay nom especially with another Foreign film in the race blowing up in such a big way. Would have loved for it to also get an actress or sup. actor nom but that wouldn't happen even without Drive My Car in the race.

- Haven't seen Nightmare Alley yet, it's coming to my theatre next week, but I'm happy it made it in after everyone proclaimed it DOA in December.

- Kinda hate all three acting noms of Ricardos, but Bardem is a little hilarious. 2 decades after Before Night Falls and gallons of media ink spilled on diversity/whitewashing, he still gets in playing a Cuban in dark make up with minimal backlash because I guess many people still think anyone who speaks spanish is a minority.

-King Richard really overperformed and put to rest any notion that Will hasn't this award on lockdown for months. Screenplay AND supporting AND editing? did not expect that.

As far as predictions atm it feels like Campion's to lose. West Side Story I think is officially dead as a BP contender despite Spielberg not being the big name that gets snubbed (Denis😭) and I would say the same about Licorice Pizza with only 3 noms. I guess PTA's best shot is just screenplay and the Academy crossing him of the list without having to give him the big ones ala Spike Lee. The only thing that still has a shot imo is Belfast despite missing editing. Still made it in everywhere else and has largely avoided all season being labeled "the enemy" because discourse police has been busy with Don't Look Up and Licorice Pizza.

still unseen from the BP line up: Belfast, Drive My Car, Licorice Pizza, Nightmare Alley.

42 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Ask one of Zendaya, Holland, Harry Styles to host it, they will draw eyeballs from people who otherwise wouldn't do it

If they'd nominated their film (for anything major), they might have got them...alas, I doubt they'll take the role b/c it usually only brings negatives...unless Disney promises Holland the next musical he personally wants...

Edited by TwoMisfits