filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I wonder how Gaga stans are taking her snub right now lmao. Tbh she would've easily been a shoo-in had House of Gucci been more well-received as a movie than it was. 

I'm not too upset. Gaga did alright IMO, but it was really her co-stars who were the highlights IMO.

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Big day for Disney between two Best Picture nominees (West Side Story, Nightmare Alley) + their three animated movies along with Cruella and The Eyes of Tammy Faye picking up nominations. Maybe ABC won't breathe down the necks of the producers to make the most overdone show possible like they have these past few years lol.

ABC cares about ratings. Not sure which of the nominees can provide that tbh. West Side Story would make for a great spectacle but it didn't do well at the box office. Maybe they have written off this year as well? 

1. Thank God I don't have to finally watch House of Gucci. Been dreading it for months. 

2. I should've saw Drive My Car yesterday but it was raining, the arthouse has terrible seats and it's 3 hours so I backed out at the last minute.

3. Don't Look Up gets a Most Editing Nom. And if it somehow wins Best Original Screenplay, I'll be Birdman-level pissed. 

4. Very excited to see Worst Person in the World in a couple weeks. 

And that's about it. Every year my interest in the Oscars drops but it's still fun. 

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I wonder how Gaga stans are taking her snub right now lmao. Tbh she would've easily been a shoo-in had House of Gucci been more well-received as a movie than it was. 

Poor Gags.... they still have the Top Gun 2 song. Maybe next year

Just now, grim22 said:

ABC cares about ratings. Not sure which of the nominees can provide that tbh. West Side Story would make for a great spectacle but it didn't do well at the box office. Maybe they have written off this year as well? 

Maybe. On the bright side, there isn't anything that they can use to try and boost the ratings ala Boseman last year so maybe they're banking on whoever they end up getting to be the host.

these are actually pretty good overall. good to see drive my car and nightmare alley in there. though lead actors of both those films better than the entire best actor line up so not sure why they missed. i guess power of the dog wins because it got so many nominations it didn't even need (plemons nominated for just showing up lmao. i like him tho so good for him). but it'd be one of the better recent winners for sure. it's in my top 5.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Next year's BP lineup is probably gonna be some disgusting lineup of Avatar 2, Black Panther 2, Lightyear, Top Gun 2, Knives Out 2, Nope, The Batman, Spider-Verse 2, and maybe sprinkle in Fabelmans and Elvis just to go a little artsy. I'll take this write-off year while I can get it before AMPAS forces itself to be the People's Choice Awards

11 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Oh its an insta-flop for them.

I think some of some live events are rebounding from the COVID lows, but it'll still be fun to see if the ratings could fall even further than last years shows.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Maybe. On the bright side, there isn't anything that they can use to try and boost the ratings ala Boseman last year so maybe they're banking on whoever they end up getting to be the host.

The Oscars, like the Olympics, need to do a better job of utilizing social media. Starting from like a month out, they need to do something like showcase one movie a day. Add interviews with the cast and crew, scenes from the movie, scenes from the nominated actors, behind the scenes for costumes, VFX etc. to get audiences familiarized with the movie. Studios don't allow the Oscars to post the clips used during the ceremony, so this may be asking too much.

They are stuck in the broadcast tv era when everyone else has moved on to different methods of watching TV and consuming information. Might genuinely help them instead of people looking at the nominees and going "What movie is that?" most of the time.

• Like 1