filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

24 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Gaga and Denis snubs are the ones that bum me out the most, but they were some nice surprises too.

-Happy that Worst Person in the World got a screenplay nom especially with another Foreign film in the race blowing up in such a big way. Would have loved for it to also get an actress or sup. actor nom but that wouldn't happen even without Drive My Car in the race.

- Haven't seen Nightmare Alley yet, it's coming to my theatre next week, but I'm happy it made it in after everyone proclaimed it DOA in December.

- Kinda hate all three acting noms of Ricardos, but Bardem is a little hilarious. 2 decades after Before Night Falls and gallons of media ink spilled on diversity/whitewashing, he still gets in playing a Cuban in dark make up with minimal backlash because I guess many people still think anyone who speaks spanish is a minority.

-King Richard really overperformed and put to rest any notion that Will hasn't this award on lockdown for months. Screenplay AND supporting AND editing? did not expect that.

As far as predictions atm it feels like Campion's to lose. West Side Story I think is officially dead as a BP contender despite Spielberg not being the big name that gets snubbed (Denis😭) and I would say the same about Licorice Pizza with only 3 noms. I guess PTA's best shot is just screenplay and the Academy crossing him of the list without having to give him the big ones ala Spike Lee. The only thing that still has a shot imo is Belfast despite missing editing. Still made it in everywhere else and has largely avoided all season being labeled "the enemy" because discourse police has been busy with Don't Look Up and Licorice Pizza.

still unseen from the BP line up: Belfast, Drive My Car, Licorice Pizza, Nightmare Alley.

Cumberbatch might challenge Will

36 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I'm shocked but it's going to be the biggest sweep in years

We talk about sweeps every other year but it just doesn't happen anymore. I can see it winning BP,BD, screenplay and an acting or a tech award (but probably not both).

Yeah, sweeps just aren't a thing anymore. Slumdog nearly sweeping the final year before the Best Picture category expanded was the last hurrah for that Oscar era.

I hope they bring back the acting clips because that "packaged" thing they did two years ago was lame and doing no clips at all during the trainwreck ceremony last year was stupid. Imagine if Garfield's was the diner scene with all the Broadway cameos. :lol:

13 minutes ago, Joel M said:

We talk about sweeps every other year but it just doesn't happen anymore. I can see it winning BP,BD, screenplay and an acting or a tech award (but probably not both).

It received 12 nominations and maxed out unexpectedly with Plemons and Production. It’d getting Picture, Director, Supporting Actor, Screenplay and the techs Dune doesn’t win 

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The biggest loser in the nominations was probably "Ridley Scott movies". Both movies didn't do well in the end.

The Last Duel was about tough subject matter and received plenty of negative press for its hardcore (even for the pandemic era) flopping, not surprised no one touched it in the end. House of Gucci did fine by drama standards for the COVID era at the box office but the movie earned mediocre reviews and probably wasn't helped by the fact that multiple high-profile figures depicted in it (from the Gucci family to Tom Ford) publicly denounced it. They only would've gotten far in a year that was completely devoid of product due to reasons beyond anyone's control like 2020 was.

Edited by filmlover

Looking at all the noms, Power of the Dog probably has this in the bag. Did I think it was the best film this year? Heck no, I thought it was good, but I don’t know if I could bring myself to sit through it for another 2+ hours.

Have a sneaking suspicion Benedict Cumberbatch is going to win Francis McDormand style.

King Richard's overperformance leads me to believe that Smith has Actor all locked up. They like to spread the wealth these days and Power of the Dog already seems to have one acting win in the bag via Kodi in Supporting, while Supporting Actress will be the top prize that West Side Story takes home.

List of insights/comments me

• How have I not seen a single movie from the Best Actress category but no less than 3 from every other cat?
  • Don't Look Up is a long and clunky movie that needed at least 20 minutes of content cut to have decent pacing. Somehow this qualifies it for best editing? I am nearly as baffled by King Richard but at least that's typical Oscar bait.
  • No noms for Passing at all is a sham.
  • Encanto for score is major lol. It's easily the worst score of the 3 Disney animations.
  • Drive My Car seems cool, glad this increases the chances that it'll actually come to a theater near me so I can see it.
  • Plenty of not to obscure stuff that was majorly overlooked in lots of categories (The Green Knight, Pig, In the Heights, Passing, The Last Duel, etc.)