filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

1 minute ago, Tarintino said:

Anyone with access to news can see it's not just some unknown shadow league, Netflix had walkouts lol. Comedians wont get a slap in the face from the public because the public are on their side

Netflix had walkouts that lead to absolutely nothing. Nothing happened. Netflix rehired Chapelle immediately to tell the same Jiwanna Man jokes as before. The shadow league isn’t real.

A smack to the face is the only effective form of cancel culture I’ve ever seen. That man Chris Rock told a joke and didn’t tell a joke again.

• Like 1

Jokes people trying to normalize violence on comedians for telling dumb jokes

My point is Chris Rock joke was bad but lets not try to excuse and noramlize violence against  comedians just because you personally dislike comedians for telling jokes you dont like. 

or else what if your fav comedian starts getting slapped for telling dumb jokes, then its not so funny then? 

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I think the slap on its own was just good tv. the issue for me was smith's speech afterwards which came across mildly unhinged to me. like is he... ok?

Yeah, it does kind of feel like he's been going through mental health issues. I've experienced those kind of stuff before, and there's definitely signs in his speech and mannerisms. It's made a lot of these memes uncomfortable IMO

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They won't. Not when Weinstein still has his awards even though he'll be spending the rest of his life behind bars. The AMPAS will just investigate what happened (especially if Rock went off-script) and they'll take the appropriate action. Not inviting Smith back next year is the easiest solution to all of this IMO.

Not being invited back next year probably is the easiest punishment although do actors go every year to the Oscars even if they're not nominated? I imagine it must get incredibly boring even with the free stuff and parties. 

10 minutes ago, AJG said:

Netflix had walkouts that lead to absolutely nothing. Nothing happened. Netflix rehired Chapelle immediately to tell the same Jiwanna Man jokes as before. The shadow league isn’t real.

A smack to the face is the only effective form of cancel culture I’ve ever seen. That man Chris Rock told a joke and didn’t tell a joke again.

So if you dont like a comedian joke, best way to silence them is to slap them?

What if someone slaps a comedian you find funny but someone else found offensive? 

6 minutes ago, AJG said:

Of course nothing happened, Netflix have a backbone. However you dont have to be a genius to see that people dont take the risks with comedies these days, we can see that just in box office alone. Over the last 10 years, theres been around a 50% reduction in adult comedies because people are afraid of backlash. People supporting violence on comedians missing the mark isn't setting the right example

• Thanks 1

Apparently missed the academy dissing the animation industry, probably the most creative and expressive way to tell a story and probably explains why Belle wasn’t nommed as well as a few other choices over the years. Look I’m not going to pretend that the majority of mainstream animation isn’t kid movies but it’s sad to see Hollywood continue to stigmatize and belittle the animation medium.

It’s especially fucked considering the recent news of Pixar creatives unable to put up a damn LGBTQ flag in a film and the new deal attempting to happen. 

Edited by YourMother

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Not being invited back next year probably is the easiest punishment although do actors go every year to the Oscars even if they're not nominated? I imagine it must get incredibly boring even with the free stuff and parties. 

The acting winners almost always come back the following year to crown the next winner for the opposite of the category they won for. Since last year's Best Actress winner didn't return to give him his award, I guess it would be fitting if he didn't come back to fulfill his duties next year.

8 hours ago, Porthos said:

It's also that Defending One's Wife/Husband/Significant-Other With A Good Hard Slap When Someone Else Talks Shit About Them is a tale as old as time itself, and so it resonates with a looooooot of people.

Is it right?  No, as you say.  Will a lot of people defend it?  It'd be surprising if a lot of folks didn't defend it on varying levels, given how deeply imbedded "Defend One's Spouse From Shit Talkers" is in the human psyche.

The issue is if anyone of us did what Will smith did we would be in jailcell this morning.

have you seen comedians? they literally roast the shit of their audience.

(now i am not saying he should be charged or anything, but saying its all cool is a double standard)  

Edited by Torontofan

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

It's not a shocking revelation that the key to making jokes is that they need to be, you know, actually funny. Anyone who was watching the ceremony could tell that Rock's dig at Jada was bombing not only with them but with the whole crowd too. Doesn't excuse Smith's actions but comedy isn't as easy as it looks, you know.

According to the New York Post there's an investigation going on about what action they should take re: Smith including taking his Oscar away, but we all know that won't happen. After all, it's not like they've rescinded any of the Oscars that Harvey Weinstein or Roman Polanski won, and those people are actual monsters guilty of far worse than what Smith did. Most that will happen is they simply won't invite him back to fulfill the Best Actor winner duties of crowning the next Best Actress next year.

Could Will Smith lose his Oscar over Chris Rock slap? (nypost.com)

Apparently the debate here is in regard to new conduct rules that The Academy put into place in 2017.

All I'll say is I'm getting huge Kanye vibes from Smith. And now that apparently he and Jada have dabbled with Scientology...yeah, I'm not comfortable at all with how last night was handled. Dude has a messianic complex. Talking about being a beacon of love 15 mins after slapping a comedian and getting a standing O from Hollywood is what showbiz is all about, baby.

Edited by Dragoncaine
  • Like 4

I'm impressed that Rock kept going with the show, even after being slapped. He's a true professional and the bigger man.

If people feel offended or insulted by jokes, there are other ways to solve the question without having to slap someone. This shouldn't be tolerated by any means, no matter what. Things could easily escalate. What if Chris Rock had reacted? What if other people had tried to do the same? A very dangerous situation. Where was the damn security staff?

Will Smith is a powerful actor and business man that ended up hitting another actor and then winning a Oscar. That's a very bad message right there. Very bad. It doesn't matter if the joke was bad or not. Some of you are actually applauding Will Smith for "defending" his wife. That's a shame. Will wasn't defending a damn thing. In fact, he was laughing at Rock's joke seconds before going to hit him. Will is a damn loser that only chaged his mind to please his wife after seeing her reaction to a joke.

My respect for Chris Rock is now over the roof. Guy kept his cool, didn't strike back and kept the show going. Will Smith's abusive behaviour set up a very dangerous precedent. By the way, I'm disappointed to see some users here saying "it was the right thing to do". No, it wasn't! You can't hit people just because they tell you things you don't like. That's not how life works. 

I'm very worried after seeing what happened. No security, nothing and people just pretending nothing happened. Crazy times.

• Like 11

43 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I think the slap on its own was just good tv. the issue for me was smith's speech afterwards which came across mildly unhinged to me. like is he... ok?

That speech was just so weird. I'm guessing he and his PR people thought up the main points he wanted to hit and he just kept rambling about how he loves everyone.

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

That speech was just so weird. I'm guessing he and his PR people thought up the main points he wanted to hit and he just kept rambling about how he loves everyone.

Will should’ve read Rocky’s speech from the end of Rocky 4.

• Thanks 1

Not sure why anyone would give Will Smith tough guy points for last night. 
He hit someone much smaller and used profanity like he was a high school sophomore showing off. 
Not sure why anyone would give him gosh-he-loves-his-wife points when he laughed at the joke and he didn’t mention her in his speech. 
I have no knowledge of whether Will Smith is a good guy or not. He was not last night. 

• Like 4