filmlover

Best Picture Predictions: 2022

27 minutes ago, filmlover said:

These are horrible, but it’s Clayton Davis. Par for the course

She Said only one nomination in BP.

Till isn’t even a top tier MGM contender. Thirteen Lives is more prestige and crowdpleasing than that and Women Talking.

No Chazelle in Director lol. 

Ruffalo doesn’t even have best role in Poor Things.

That Original category is way too basic. They snubbed Sorkin for Worst Person last year.

Hong in Foreign Film lmao

34 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

These are horrible, but it’s Clayton Davis. Par for the course

She Said only one nomination in BP.

Till isn’t even a top tier MGM contender. Thirteen Lives is more prestige and crowdpleasing than that and Women Talking.

No Chazelle in Director lol. 

Ruffalo doesn’t even have best role in Poor Things.

That Original category is way too basic. They snubbed Sorkin for Worst Person last year.

Hong in Foreign Film lmao

Also nothing for Canterbury Glass. Must be banking on past controversies resurfacing and sinking it.

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

What does variety know about the woman king that we dont, its good a fairly unremarkable director and a somewhat mediocre screenwriter?

And ive heard rumblings that fablemans isn't top-tier spielberg based on the script, but that probably wont stop it from getting nominated

3 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

What does variety know about the woman king that we dont, its good a fairly unremarkable director and a somewhat mediocre screenwriter?

And ive heard rumblings that fablemans isn't top-tier spielberg based on the script, but that probably wont stop it from getting nominated

Where’d you hear that because I would sincerely doubt a Spielberg/Kushner script leaked so I’m curious. I’d love to read those rumblings 

18 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Where’d you hear that because I would sincerely doubt a Spielberg/Kushner script leaked so I’m curious. I’d love to read those rumblings 

"Recent Spielberg always gets in, but rarely performs as expected initially (even West Side slightly underperformed at the Oscar noms).

I've heard mixed reactions to the screenplay of The Fabelmans, so although I'm excited, I don't think it's going to be a West Side Story level success for Spielberg, more of a Bridge of Spies level hit"

Not exactly a source but I saw that comment 

1 minute ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

"Recent Spielberg always gets in, but rarely performs as expected initially (even West Side slightly underperformed at the Oscar noms).

I've heard mixed reactions to the screenplay of The Fabelmans, so although I'm excited, I don't think it's going to be a West Side Story level success for Spielberg, more of a Bridge of Spies level hit"

Not exactly a source but I saw that comment 

Where was this comment from?

I wouldn’t be surprised tbh. I don’t think Kushner is a great writer and Spielberg hasn’t wrote a script since AI, which was based on Kubrick’s works. And yeah, while he can get BP noms, overall his films range from huge contenders (Lincoln) to mid-tier contenders (West Side Story, Bridge of Spies) to weak contenders (War Horse, The Post). 

4 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Where was this comment from?

I wouldn’t be surprised tbh. I don’t think Kushner is a great writer and Spielberg hasn’t wrote a script since AI, which was based on Kubrick’s works. And yeah, while he can get BP noms, overall his films range from huge contenders (Lincoln) to mid-tier contenders (West Side Story, Bridge of Spies) to weak contenders (War Horse, The Post). 

a regular from the oscarace subreddit 

https://www.reddit.com/r/oscarrace/comments/tryphk/comment/i2ohi0m/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Just now, interiorgatordecorator said:

Hmm. Interesting.

His predictions are wacky, though, but he's claimed to have read Killer of Flower moon script and mentions other tidbits so worth noting

8 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

For your consideration(if its ready).

56666823-10723127-image-m-18_16500582933

If they rush they might be able to get it ready, but considering how full this year already is, I see no reason for anyone to rush in order to meet the oscars 2023 deadline

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Ridley Scott is Oscar repellent at this point. I’ll never take him seriously unless it’s undeniable. And Joaquin doesn’t campaign either.

Lol its always a coin flip with him thats for sure.  Scott is probably the most screenplay dependent director in the business, no other director has a filmography as all over the map as he does.  In recent years Martian, Duel, and even All the Money in the World shows he can still deliver if given the right material

My man Phoenix though is supposedly really stingy with the stuff he signs on for so I'm hopeful for it.  Hes like one of the top 3 actors going right now imo, the guy elevated the shit out of JOKER which had a mediocre script IMO

Edited by Ozymandias

Loved EEAAO but I doubt it's going to have the staying power to be a factor come year end, especially since A24 has a few other more Oscar-friendly projects on their docket like The Whale, White Noise and Red White and Water 

Edited by AniNate

Just now, AniNate said:

Hmm, IMDB claims it's an A24 production. Whatever, point still stands.

It's Netflix. They're wrong.

Red, White, Water is not going to be a contender. I'm betting it goes to Showtime. It got reshoots and was filmed over 2 years ago.

The Whale will be a contender for Fraser, but it's still a very bleak play about a fat man reconciling with his evil daughter. It'll be closer to Aronofsky's The Wrestler

Every Oscar race tends to have an early release sustain momentum all year, and Everything Everywhere fits the bill--strong reviews, rooting factor, diversity, etc

• Like 1

The Grand Budapest Hotel and Get Out are recent first quarter releases that managed to maintain buzz for the whole year and resulted in becoming major contenders. It doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility that Everything Everywhere might still be in the conversation by the time 2022 closes, especially if an on-paper frontrunner or two ends up stumbling along the way.

• Like 2