Box Office Hit

Challengers | April 26, 2024 | MGM | Zendaya | Luca Guadagnino to Direct

This movie was a blast. Millennials who grew up on Cruel Intentions and sex comedies will love it. Most fun I've had in the theatre for ages. If Queer is as good as this 2024 is gonna be the year of Guadagnino.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fanboy said:

This movie was a blast. Millennials who grew up on Cruel Intentions and sex comedies will love it. Most fun I've had in the theatre for ages. If Queer is as good as this 2024 is gonna be the year of Guadagnino.

How did you see it already? I have to wait until Monday to see it.

This was the film of the year for me. It was shot beautifully and the score was incredible. A fair amount of timeline shifts but it wasn’t hard to keep up. All three leads were at the top of their game.

The late April release will make it challenging but I could definitely see multiple Oscar nominations for this film, particularly Score. Hopefully Zendaya can pull a Julia Roberts/Erin Brockovich and secure a nomination.

If it was 2004 instead of 2024 it could’ve pulled a big audience in theaters, but it’ll definitely find an audience on streaming.

9.5/10

• Like 2
  • Heart 2
  • Knock It Off 1

I’m a Zendaya fan in case you can’t tell by my avi lol but the movie was absolutely amazing. As a fan I’m not sure how the GP will handle it. A lot of sex scenes which might scare off GP. I mentioned in the crowd report thread about someone looking really uncomfortable during one of the scenes they promote in the trailer although it wasn’t long. 

Even though I’m a Zendaya fan and loved the movie and it seems critics love it, I’m not sure how the academy will feel about it. It’s not an Oscar bait film at all, but an overall good popcorn movie. Gave me vibes of early 90s Demi Moore films.

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

They've nominated some weird stuff recently, I wouldn't count it out especially with Luca's history there. Will say if Queer is coming out this year they might go for that instead; probably also depends on how well this does at the box office and if it stays in the zeitgeist enough that Zendaya fans passionately get behind it.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

I'm surprised here in Italy despite a lot of promo the sales right now are very very stale. Tomorrow is the eve of a national holiday (the liberation from the nazis) and even with that in my theater in Milan there are like only 20 tickets sold in the late night show a nothing for the afternoon screenings. 

I feel  this will make good or could explode somehow, i don't know why, but imo this shows the only appeal this movie has are the actors, so it's interesting to see how will play internationally where the actors are not big...well only zendaya actually is "big" in the Us.

Guadagnino as director doesn't have appeal or the tennis on a movie or any other particular thing of the movie. 

Edited by vale9001

11 hours ago, joselowe said:

I’m a Zendaya fan in case you can’t tell by my avi lol but the movie was absolutely amazing. As a fan I’m not sure how the GP will handle it. A lot of sex scenes which might scare off GP. I mentioned in the crowd report thread about someone looking really uncomfortable during one of the scenes they promote in the trailer although it wasn’t long. 

Even though I’m a Zendaya fan and loved the movie and it seems critics love it, I’m not sure how the academy will feel about it. It’s not an Oscar bait film at all, but an overall good popcorn movie. Gave me vibes of early 90s Demi Moore films.

zendaya keeps claiming there are no sex scenes lmao 

Grace Randolph found this to be pretty "nuanced" and "tasteful" compared to Poor Things and Saltburn so I'm guessing it's on the tamer side unless you don't even watch HBO. Coz that woman was originally scared of the first trailer too and said it felt like a party that got too wild and she'd be calling her mom to pick her up 😝

3 hours ago, TinaDuraes said:

I mean, we just had Poor Things make $100M+ and win 4 Oscars lol

Poor Things only made $34 million in the USA, I’m not sure Zendaya can pull the same internationally and apparently it’s going to be banned in China although I don’t know how true that is.