Box Office Hit

Challengers | April 26, 2024 | MGM | Zendaya | Luca Guadagnino to Direct

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I'm sure Twitter is already full of speculation over who is delivering the "graphic nudity" in this. :lol:

Yup:

A very R-rated tennis movie: hoping for the best but the box office is going to be so bad...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Haha 1

I think this could be a bigger success than people think. Zendaya is kind of making a name for herself and the market has been starved of real erotic cinema for awhile, and tennis really isn't that niche. They seem to be going for a Don't Worry Darling strategy here now, though hopefully this is a hit more because of innate artistic quality than offscreen scandals sparking morbid curiosity. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

I think this could be a bigger success than people think. Zendaya is kind of making a name for herself and the market has been starved of real erotic cinema for awhile, and tennis really isn't that niche. They seem to be going for a Don't Worry Darling strategy here now, though hopefully this is a hit more because of innate artistic quality than offscreen scandals sparking morbid curiosity. 

It definitely has potential, but I'm not sure the romcom crowd is really looking for R-rated movies.

4 hours ago, AniNate said:

Tennis as a sport has been around for eons but in film hardly ever performs well. From this list of tennis movies (a whopping 36, which includes documentaries, made-for-TV movies, short films, even a lost one from 1929), the box office champ seems to Match Point ($23m domestic, $85m worldwide, but in 2005-6 currency). Adjusted for inflation, probably Strangers on a Train, which isn't really a "world of tennis" movie. Maybe King Richard would have done better without day-and-date, but given how it's gone with most tennis movies, still probably not a hit.

Challengers could be fine because it's not going for the mainstream "sports movie" audience at all, but Film Twitter enthusiasm has had a way of not translating to broader success.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

That has nothing to do with trailer release schedule. Also, it's MGM meaning Amazon. Maybe Amazon is mulling over streaming release. They only need a short qualifying theatrical run for awards.

this will be a real test for Z's star power cause it isn't a franchise, her co-stars are literal who's to GA so it's her name that sells the ticket, the director never had a boxoffice hit (too arthouse) and tennis hasn't been big at the boxoffice even with Will Smith. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

That has nothing to do with trailer release schedule. Also, it's MGM meaning Amazon. Maybe Amazon is mulling over streaming release. They only need a short qualifying theatrical run for awards.

this will be a real test for Z's star power cause it isn't a franchise, her co-stars are literal who's to GA so it's her name that sells the ticket, the director never had a boxoffice hit (too arthouse) and tennis hasn't been big at the boxoffice even with Will Smith. 

Agree, but Amy Pascal is behind this and she doesn't usually let the films she produces go straight to streaming. They are premiering this at Venice in August. I think they learned their lesson with Zendaya streaming considering Malcolm and Marie flopped on streaming.