filmlover

Strays | August 18, 2023 | Universal | Will Ferrell, Jamie Foxx

Will Ferrell and Jamie Foxx canine comedy Stays will strut into theaters on June 9, 2023, Universal announced Tuesday.

Ferrell and Foxx star opposite Will Forte in the movie, which is a live-action/CGI hybrid directed by Josh Greenbaum. The story, from a script by Dan Perrault, follows an abandoned dog who teams up with other strays to get revenge on his former owner.

Ferrell is the abandoned dog while Foxx is one of the pooches who befriends him. Forte is the snarly human owner.

Erik Feig’s Picturestart initially developed Strays before approaching Greenbaum and Louis Leterrier as well as Phil Lord and Chris Miller. All are now acting as producers, along with Lord Miller president of film Aditya Sood.

Universal picked up Strays from Picturestart and Lord Miller in a preemptive situation earlier this year. The project falls under Lord Miller’s first-look with Universal.

Will Ferrell, Jamie Foxx Comedy ‘Strays’ Set for Summer 2023 Release – The Hollywood Reporter

• Like 2

A movie about a deadbeat dog owner abandoning his dog does not exactly appeal to the masses and it certainly doesn't appeal to me. Comedies like this rely on shock value and not much else imo. Having cute cartoon character dogs saying fuck and bitch and so on is supposed to be the selling point and for some reason it's supposed to make us laugh. I didn't laugh once in the trailer and I can't believe somebody actually thought this would be a good idea for a movie.

15 hours ago, baumer said:

A movie about a deadbeat dog owner abandoning his dog does not exactly appeal to the masses and it certainly doesn't appeal to me. Comedies like this rely on shock value and not much else imo. Having cute cartoon character dogs saying fuck and bitch and so on is supposed to be the selling point and for some reason it's supposed to make us laugh. I didn't laugh once in the trailer and I can't believe somebody actually thought this would be a good idea for a movie.

I 100% agree with you, but from the audience reaction when I saw the trailer, this will be a big hit.

That old saying about how nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American Public comes to mind.

• Like 2

‘Strays’ Heads To August Theatrical Release. WGA Strike To Blame? – Deadline

Claim it's because of the strike slowing promo for everything (if something like No Hard Feelings also loses its June date then that'll sound plausible) but it's also just as likely so that Foxx will have fully recovered by then to be able to do some press. Either way, this was bound to get pulverized in June.

Not surprised by the Please Don't Destroy movie pivoting to streaming though. Even without any marketing released yet, that had another Bros-esque puny total written all over it.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 3:08 PM, dudalb said:

I 100% agree with you, but from the audience reaction when I saw the trailer, this will be a big hit.

That old saying about how nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American Public comes to mind.

Seconded. I had no idea this film existed, but it had the strongest audience positive reaction out of my nearly-full FX screening over the weekend.