Eric Atreides

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** BATMAN SPOILERS THREAD ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***DID WE MENTION SPOILERS?????***

22 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Well, Batman is the main character. Tim Burton just happened to be more interested in focusing on Batman’s villains than Batman himself. 

I absolutely get that, but every other main character feels lived in and seems to have an existence outside of Bruce/Batman. Selina's actions and behaviour feel completely inconsistent - and not in a fun, unpredictable, 'Catwoman' way but in a very artificial way which serves to only advance the plot/Bruce's character. I absolutely agree that she's nowhere near as badly integrated as Selina is in TDKR (whose role is the absolute nadir of Nolan's filmography), but she never once felt like an actual human being to me. If it were literally any other character, I don't think I'd be bothered at all, but it's Catwoman, and female autonomy and independence is what she's represented for a long time now.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 1:37 AM, keysersoze123 said:

I did not stay for post credit scene. What was it all about. That said this was just batshit crazy. It was more of a gothic horror movie than a SH one. Very 1st scene resembled Rear Window to me 🙂

if you liked that gothic horror feel in this then I suggest you watch Matt Reeve’s previous film Let Me In.  He’s a brilliant director.

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 3:34 AM, Hatebox said:

- But a much bigger problem is that the central mystery driving the plot is... not very interesting. I appreciate this wasn't another end-of-the world narrative but in a three-hour why-dunnit you really have to care about the 'why'. I'm neutral on Dano, from what little we saw of him he was exactly as I expected. I almost forgot he was in the movie at points.

- Because the central mystery wasn't interesting the plot in the second half became very 'and then this happens, and this happens, and then this happens'. I knew when we saw those damn twins answer the club door for a third time it was beyond the point of no return. A real shame becuase the beginning of the movie is incredible.

Thank you! After all the blather from Reeves about how he was going to craft a real mystery that concentrated on Batman's skills as a detective, imagine my disappointment when I was confronted with an utterly un-mysterious screenplay that consisted of one hideous info-dump after another and artless, heavy-handed dialogue. Has Reeves actually seen a noir classic? It was very poorly written and I'm worried that its box-office performance will simply encourage the studio to allow him free rein for the sequels.

Anyway, it's not a patch on the Nolan trilogy.

Edited by Fielding
  • Astonished 1