The Wild Eric

THE BATMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 134M OW DOM, 258.2M WW | Biggest WB opening since BvS. First non Disney-affiliated 100M OW since 2018

20 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I get what you’re saying but for me I guess cause I follow DC so closely and see how big Marvels gotten I understand things are just so different now then they were when Nolan’s movies were out. We can always look at past comps etc and try to gauge how this stuff “should or could” work out but right now, especially with DC movies I just don’t think those comparisons work anymore. 

The last time Batman was in a movie was with the the rest of the JL and that opened to under a 100m. That opened my eyes to things a lot more and now it’s every movie having to stand on its own and hope it can build an audience for future movies, there’s always gonna be those hardcore Batman or Superman fans that can carry a box office so far but the trust from the GA isn’t there anymore. 

It seems like you’re one of the few who is a huge fan of dc that can take how you personally feel about the IP (or movie specifically) without applying it to the general audience and becoming entitled to huge performances. 

4 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Doubt it. It will be gradual growth (like 120 to 150) unless they figure out some way to really boost the buzz (i.e. bringing in Phoenix or something). Still, that's enough for a healthy successful franchise even if it's well off the heights that Batman has done previously. 

Well that’ll b another “fun” weekend thread because 150m in 2024/2025 for a sequel to a well-received new version is even more disappointing than 120 in 2022 for a reboot first entry coming off batfleck  👀

Edited by Villain Legion

Just now, HouseOfTheSun said:

It seems like you’re one of the few who is a huge fan of dc that can take how you personally feel about the IP (or movie specifically) without applying it to the general audience and becoming entitled to huge performances. 

Just have to be realistic tbh, I want every movie that DC makes to out open every movie lol but I know that’s not gonna happen. 

Listen, DC is never gonna be marvel and if people can’t accept that then that’s on them. That doesn’t mean that DC can’t be successful, there’s only one first place right? That’s marvel, sometimes it’s ok to accept that and just try to do your own thing and find your own avenue for success and I think that’s the path DC movies are on now and the people in charge understand that finally. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Villain Legion said:

Well that’ll b another “fun” weekend thread because 150m in 2024/2025 for a sequel to a well-received new version is even more disappointing than 120 in 2022 for a reboot first entry coming off batfleck  👀

I guess it depends a bit on price inflation but still I'm not expecting a huge breakout for the sequel. TDK was just a perfect storm.

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

I guess it depends a bit on price inflation but still I'm not expecting a huge breakout for the sequel. TDK was just a perfect storm.

Now I want to go down the Batman Returns stats hole 😂

9 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Just have to be realistic tbh, I want every movie that DC makes to out open every movie lol but I know that’s not gonna happen. 

Listen, DC is never gonna be marvel and if people can’t accept that then that’s on them. That doesn’t mean that DC can’t be successful, there’s only one first place right? That’s marvel, sometimes it’s ok to accept that and just try to do your own thing and find your own avenue for success and I think that’s the path DC movies are on now and the people in charge understand that finally. 

I don't know if I would go that far. Not starting a Marvel vs. DC here. Just noting whether DC can reach that level. END GAME is not Marvel. That is there most hyped film ever. Aquabro topped $1 billion, Wonder Woman got close to it. Well-done Superman  and Batman are no doubt in that range. DC would consistently be in the $1-1.5b range with their big properties had they not screwed the pooch initially. DC needs to stick with quality and they will have very high ceilings in the long run. 

15 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Which is quite surprising that fans can’t find happiness in some absolutely beastly performances like Joker and Aquaman and great/good ones like WW and Shazam 

2 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I don't know if I would go that far. Not starting a Marvel vs. DC here. Just noting whether DC can reach that level. END GAME is not Marvel. That is there most hyped film ever. Aquabro topped $1 billion, Wonder Woman got close to it. Well-done Superman  and Batman are no doubt in that range. DC would consistently be in the $1-1.5b range with their big properties had they not screwed the pooch initially. DC needs to stick with quality and they will have very high ceilings in the long run. 

I can’t say for sure what the movies would be making had they past been different but it would definitely be a pretty good range. But I agree 100% with the second bolded point but it’s gonna take a while. 

6 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Keep in context that the Justice League 7 are DCs biggest characters. Avengers were what? Maybe 4th most prominent marvel team. The roster was without its alpha in Spider-Man, and it’s two biggest after that in XMen and F4. You discount Endgame because you don’t want (or more accurately can’t) to argue against it. That’s just classic fanboy coping. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Which is quite surprising that fans can’t find happiness in some absolutely beastly performances like Joker and Aquaman and great/good ones like WW and Shazam 

I think most fans can tbh, you just have a louder minority of fans online always making comparisons and are never happy unless things make “marvel” money. 

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

Obviously that $21.6m number is not good. Not flop territory but not good.  It is almost certainly going to come in below the $150m ballpark everyone has been throwing around. We'll see where it ends but this should be pretty alarming for "adult tentpole" films. The market is empty, awareness is huge, brand IP is as good as it gets basically, product quality is excellent. It is tough to say this is saturation, either. Yes, TDK films are iconic to this day, but they are 10 years old, nobody saw JL, BvS was 6 years ago. "Dark" Batman films are what have been popular in the past. 

This should be doing more. Can't help but think that, given the teens/young adults who loved TDK films are now approaching or in mid age, a sizable chunk of this films audience - like THE MATRIX or NO TIME TO DIE - is simply 100% out of the routine of going to movie theaters. No idea how studios intend to combat this, either. Batman has yet to make in-roads with much of the younger movie-goers who flocked to NWH or even UNCHARTED. 

WarmWhirlwindIcelandichorse-size_restric

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Keep in context that the Justice League 7 are DCs biggest characters. Avengers were what? Maybe 4th most prominent marvel team. The roster was without its alpha in Spider-Man, and it’s two biggest after that in XMen and F4. You discount Endgame because you don’t want (or more accurately can’t) to argue against it. That’s just classic fanboy coping. 

Huh? ENDGAME is the most anticipated film in history. it is obviously not standard Marvel. The JL vs. Avengers argument doesn't matter. JL had 1 popular film prior to it (Wonder Woman), 1 mixed film (MOS), 1 high-profile MEH film (Suicide Squad) and 1 VERY high-profile disaster (BVS). Avengers had the uber popular Iron Man, mostly popular Captain America, and somewhat popular Iron Man 2 and Thor.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at:

-MOS $128m opening weekend (with mixed reviews)

-BVS $81m opening day (terrible legs every day after)

-Suicide Squad $65m opening day (directly after BvS hideous word of mouth and with terrible reviews)

-Wonder Woman $800m ww

-Aquabro $1.1b WW

And realize those films had REALLY high potential had all of those films actually delivered quality wise. In a different universe, had those films all been good or better, we are probably talking:

-MOS $140m opening weekend, total still would have MEH due to Monsters U/WWZ breakouts the following week

-BvS $210m opening weekend/ $550-600m total, $1.3bish WW

-Suicide Squad $175m opening weekend/$425-450m total/$1b+ WW

-Wonder Woman $1 billion+ WW (the film would have opened significantly higher and likely still had great legs)

-JL $1.4-1.6B WW

-Aquabro $1.2-1.4b ww

Those are all quite obviously Marvel figures. The next wave of DC films would have likely had similar starting points with team-up films at $1.5b+ in 2019 and beyond. Instead, here we are.

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MrPink said:

WarmWhirlwindIcelandichorse-size_restric

Boxofficepro said $150m as did Yahoo business who specifically noted that number TODAY. Pretty sure neither used myself as a source. 

What a thoughtless remark.

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

Huh? ENDGAME is the most anticipated film in history. it is obviously not standard Marvel. The JL vs. Avengers argument doesn't matter. JL had 1 popular film prior to it (Wonder Woman), 1 mixed film (MOS), 1 high-profile MEH film (Suicide Squad) and 1 VERY high-profile disaster (BVS). Avengers had the uber popular Iron Man, mostly popular Captain America, and somewhat popular Iron Man 2 and Thor.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at:

-MOS $128m opening weekend (with mixed reviews)

-BVS $81m opening day (terrible legs every day after)

-Suicide Squad $65m opening day (directly after BvS hideous word of mouth and with terrible reviews)

-Wonder Woman $800m ww

-Aquabro $1.1b WW

And realize those films had REALLY high potential had all of those films actually delivered quality wise. In a different universe, had those films all been good or better, we are probably talking:

-MOS $140m opening weekend, total still would have MEH due to Monsters U/WWZ breakouts the following week

-BvS $210m opening weekend/ $550-600m total

-Suicide Squad $175m opening weekend/$425-450m total

-Wonder Woman $1 billion+ (the film would have opened significantly higher and likely still had great legs)

-JL $1.3-1.5b

-Aquabro $1.2-1.4b

…you do understand and that you are quite literally making numbers up and using that as the basis for you thought process right?

• Like 1