CJohn

Alien: Romulus | August 16, 2024 | Fede Alvarez | See the original Alien in theaters on April 26

2 hours ago, Elessar said:

I do, too. They go from solid to amazing (i'm not counting AvP). No bad apples, really.

Each movie at least tries to do something different in its style/approach.

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

I’ll echo what pretty much everyone else on here has said. Looks good in a “back to the basics” kind of way that Prey was. 

Honestly, I don’t see why this can’t open at least as well as 2018’s (awful) Predator.

Yes, The Predator could be a good comparison gross wise. 

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

I’ll defend the Assembly Cut of Alien 3 until the day I die. That extra 30 minutes turns it into a legitimately good movie rather than the bizarrely rushed studio hack job that we got back in ’92. Fincher clearly had a vision for what he wanted it to be.

The trailer for Romulus looks good, but as someone else said, I hope that it has more to it than just “slasher in space”, because love them or hate them, all of the Alien movies have been more than just that. Even Covenant was about more than just “big scary alien killing everyone”.

To be fair, I think Covenant would’ve been much better if it was just a “big scary alien killing everyone”. 

I think it’s the right move to go back to slasher in space. 

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

To be fair, I think Covenant would’ve been much better if it was just a “big scary alien killing everyone”.  

That is pretty much what it was though??? And probably the funniest slasher flick in decades. It just had a bit more to it because doing another film exactly like the first one just seems like a waste of time (especially when its the same director).

Edited by lorddemaxus

14 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The worst elements of Covenant are "big scary alien killing everyone". Poorly shot, zero tension and not scary at all.

14 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I think it’s the right move to go back to slasher in space. 

Alien never was slasher in space, maybe AvPs and Covenant, but not main quadrilogy.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 2

Possible spoilers.

Spoiler

Is there any confirmation that this is about Amanda Ripley? The character mentioned briefly in Aliens, and fully explored in Alien:Isolation. The timeline lines up, and there doesn't appear to be any confirmation of character names. I always felt Amanda was an excellent way to further explore the corruption of the Weyland-Yutani corp. It expands the lore in a more meaningful way with its parallel connection to Ellen while she's in hyper-sleep.

3 minutes ago, ThePhasmid said:

Possible spoilers.

Hide contents

Is there any confirmation that this is about Amanda Ripley? The character mentioned briefly in Aliens, and fully explored in Alien:Isolation. The timeline lines up, and there doesn't appear to be any confirmation of character names. I always felt Amanda was an excellent way to further explore the corruption of the Weyland-Yutani corp. It expands the lore in a more meaningful way with its parallel connection to Ellen while she's in hyper-sleep.

Thankfully it's not, either do proper Alien: Isolation adaptation or nothing at all. The main character's name is Rain. 

Just now, Firepower said:

Thankfully it's not, either do proper Alien: Isolation adaptation or nothing at all. The main character's name is Rain. 

Yep. I just saw that bit of news on AVPGalaxy. I'd still like to see someone explore that character.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

I like all the Alien movies.

People act like Prometheus & Covenant are the worst pieces of shit ever made but they're perfectly watchable despite their flaws. Same for Cubed, haven't seen Resurrection.

Great teaser, facehuggers chasing me down a hallway is definitely nightmare fuel. Reminded me of Alien: Isolation. 

Also why name it Romulus if there isn't any Romulans in the trailer? Disappointing.  

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Great teaser, facehuggers chasing me down a hallway is definitely nightmare fuel. Reminded me of Alien: Isolation. 

Also why name it Romulus if there isn't any Romulans in the trailer? Disappointing.  

I knew the facehuggers were the physical manifestation of Vulcan anxiety and fear about Pon Farr

1 hour ago, Elessar said:

Alien Isolation, what a great game. Too bad we'll never see a sequel...

Good game but it was clear how the devs didn't have enough material for even one full game (all the android bits were so fucking slow and boring).

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

8 hours ago, JWR said:

That's a little hard to answer. Alien as a franchise has always been pretty niche. If reviews are positive, it could land somewhere between $125-175M WW. Maybe $200M+ in the best case scenario. 

Oh definitely. There's a ceiling for these films. Prometheus is the sole outlier.

I don't expect that kind of gross for Romulus. I think it all depends on how much money was put into this film. If they went bonkers with the budget, it's just going to be harder for it to make a profit. These aren't really what I'd define as "blockbuster" movies, so giving them escalating budgets won't aid this franchise.

BUT, again, I'm going to see it because Fede has his hands in this project.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NoobSaibot said:

Oh definitely. There's a ceiling for these films. Prometheus is the sole outlier.

I don't expect that kind of gross for Romulus. I think it all depends on how much money was put into this film. If they went bonkers with the budget, it's just going to be harder for it to make a profit. These aren't really what I'd define as "blockbuster" movies, so giving them escalating budgets won't aid this franchise.

BUT, again, I'm going to see it because Fede has his hands in this project.

Er ALIEN's $78mil in 1979. and ALIENS $85MIL in 1986 were both huge films for the time, especially for r rated films.

In fact both films were the 5th biggest films of their year domestic.

Prometheus was the 20th biggest fiilm of 2012 domestic.

It was ALIEN 3 where the films started dropping, although even ALIEN 3's $59mil domestic was still decent for 1992.

Edited by stuart360