Fullbuster

Russia Box Office

Yes, but Dreamworks is bigger than Pixar in Russia. The croods has already made more than any Pixar film has ever done.

Monsters University is much more appealing than the previous Pixar animated movies, it can aim a large audience!

I was looking at many blockbusters grosses in Russia or just movies in general, and the one thing common I see is that the multipliers are not very good. Is there a reason why movies release in Russia are front-loaded and/or having bad legs regardless of their qualities?

I was looking at many blockbusters grosses in Russia or just movies in general, and the one thing common I see is that the multipliers are not very good. Is there a reason why movies release in Russia are front-loaded and/or having bad legs regardless of their qualities?

1) Too few screens for too many movies. For example top 3 films last weekend had 4500 screens put together. And this week new releases will take also 3000+ screens. That's the main reason. 

2) Rampant piracy particularly among young people

3) Early video releases. Many films can be released on DVD on week 4 or 5. Sometimes even on week 3. 

2.5 multiplyer is good here. 3 is nearly exceptional. A lot of films couldnt reach even 2 multiplyer. 

Some countries just have different cultures with regards to this kind of thing, In the other extreme you have Japan with great multipliers. Actually my own country (Israel) has great multipliers like Japan, but I have no idea why.

1) Too few screens for too many movies. For example top 3 films last weekend had 4500 screens put together. And this week new releases will take also 3000+ screens. That's the main reason. 

2) Rampant piracy particularly among young people

3) Early video releases. Many films can be released on DVD on week 4 or 5. Sometimes even on week 3. 

2.5 multiplyer is good here. 3 is nearly exceptional. A lot of films couldnt reach even 2 multiplyer. 

I see. Thanks for your clear and detailed answer  :) Those are very reasonable reasons really. Hollywood movies are still doing great in Russia though so it's not really an issue.

Some countries just have different cultures with regards to this kind of thing, In the other extreme you have Japan with great multipliers. Actually my own country (Israel) has great multipliers like Japan, but I have no idea why.

Yeah, I get you. US is kinda a minimum in between, but it is clearly very big on OW for blockbusters, legs decided by qualities most of the time. I notice that a few Asian countries has good multipliers because people prefer to go to theaters 3-4 weeks in, biggest reason is they try to avoid the crowded-ness of OW, and also, WOM usually doesn't spread as fast as it does like in US.

When Russia has more than 2000 theaters, there would be some blockbusters make more in Russia than in NA.  :shades: 

Hi SentryTrans, long time no see :D

About Russia it's a little bit premature to say this, it's too small for the moment, maybe in 10 years if the growth is still good. ;)

Thursday:

Olympus Has Fallen:$471 488

G.I.Joe 2:$344 059 (-81.5%)

Trance:$156 372

The Croods:$135 170 (-83.5%)

JP3D:$131 252

I guess GI Joe 2 won't reach $20m, The Croods could reach $25m with some luck..

Welcome, comrade: Tom Cruise is given a hero's reception by fans at Russian premiere of Oblivion

He has already hit a few destinations around the world as he promotes his latest blockbuster Oblivion.

And Monday afternoon was no different as Tom Cruise was greeted warmly by his fans in Moscow, Russia.

The global superstar may not have been a native of the country, but he was still welcomed like a prodigal son.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Like 1