Fullbuster

Russia Box Office

Tom Sawyer (2011) is a German remake of the famous Mark Twain story. I am not very fond of remakes. For me the classic 1968 TV mini series version with Serge Nubret is the best. http://www.kino-teat...ro/53308/annot/ it impressed me very much as a boy.

It was never released here on VHS or DVD. Many people read those books but for now this 1968 mini series is totally forgotten here. As well as many other american or british Tom Sawyer films. I tried to read some reviews on german sites and they were mostly good. So I actually recommended to buy the movie for theatrical release here.

In the 60s and 70s it was a pre christmas tradition to have famous books turned into 4 installment mini series for TV. Treasure Island (Louis Stevenson), The Man from LaMancha (Miguel de Cervantes), Michael Strogoff (Jules Verne) and Seawolf (Jack London) were favourites. The advantage of this format is that there is more room for all the characters of the book.What impressed me most in the Tom Sawyer story was Serge Nubret (a French Bodybuilder) who played "---- Jim" a slave . He escapes and travels with Hucklebery Finn on the Mississippi. His lines "I just want to own $120 , that is what I am worth" really touched me and it is 44 years since then and I still remember.

Edited by Rudolf

A friend of mine posted that The Avengers grossed another 35 mln RUB on Thursday. I rather curious about Tom Sawyer. I know it's a lost cause but still i hope i will gross some money here.

So The Avengers reached $30m thursday, not bad, John Carter soon out :)

In the 60s and 70s it was a pre christmas tradition to have famous books turned into 4 installment mini series for TV. Treasure Island (Louis Stevenson), The Man from LaMancha (Miguel de Cervantes), Michael Strogoff (Jules Verne) and Seawolf (Jack London) were favourites. The advantage of this format is that there is more room for all the characters of the book.What impressed me most in the Tom Sawyer story was Serge Nubret (a French Bodybuilder) who played "---- Jim" a slave . He escapes and travels with Hucklebery Finn on the Mississippi. His lines "I just want to own $120 , that is what I am worth" really touched me and it is 44 years since then and I still remember.

Unfortunately I haven't seen any of these. I saw some ZDF Weihnachtsserien but they started only in late 70-s. I enjoyed very much Jack Holborn and Silas. Also bought from Iceland Nonni und Manni. The others unfortunately are not available in English. Edited by juni78ukr

http://en.wikipedia....ki/The_Sea-Wolf lists 13 movie versions of the Jack London story, even a 1991 Russian.http://en.wikipedia....disambiguation) has 9 versions including a 1936 Sowjet one.http://en.wikipedia....Treasure_Island has even more (1982 Sowjet)Why are people always remaking the same story? Perhaps they are risc averse: there are dozends of Tarzan movies, all succesful, then they try John Carter Of Mars (also by Edgar Rice Burroughs) and it bombs, so we will see the next Tarzan movie in a few years, but goodbye to Barsoom. Edited by Rudolf

Only $45m?Madagascar 2 made $40m in 2008 and it had broken many historical records.In theory, Madagascar 3 can make $100m. But the number might be unrealistic.$75m will be a suitable number.

Yeah you're right, I made a mistake because I thought it would compete directly with Ice Age 4, but I red the release dates :-Madagascar 3 : June 7th-Ice Age 4 : July 12thSo yeah $45m is too pessmistic, I say $65m for Madagascar :)

:nicethread:Russian film market is becoming bigger and bigger!

Thanks :DYeah, and it's great for movies in the future..The most impressive could be Avatar 2 : Avatar grossed $117m there, so in 2015 Avatar 2 could be the first movie beyond $200m in Russia :o

Yeah you're right, I made a mistake because I thought it would compete directly with Ice Age 4, but I red the release dates :-Madagascar 3 : June 7th-Ice Age 4 : July 12thSo yeah $45m is too pessmistic, I say $65m for Madagascar :)

Admissions in RussiaMadagascar 2 7,737,000Russian film market in 2012 is much bigger than 2008.The admissions of Madagascar 3 could reach 10m! :o

Admissions in RussiaMadagascar 2 7,737,000Russian film market in 2012 is much bigger than 2008.The admissions of Madagascar 3 could reach 10m! :o

And it will have 3D :oSo my forecast ($65m) could be easily outgrown :)This summer will be fascinating, certainly the most exciting of this thread : Madagascar 3, The Amazing Spiderman, TDKR and Ice Age 4, can't wait :o

UPDATE :

BOX OFFICE 2012 (FOR THE MOMENT,OBVIOUSLY) :

1-John Carter: $33.6 million

2-Wrath of the Titans : $22.3 million

3-Battleship : $20.8m

4-The Avengers : $17.9m

5-Journey 2: $17.5 million

6-The Lorax: $16 million

7-The Hunger Games : $13.4 million

8-Ghost Rider 2 $13.3 million

9-Titanic 3D : $13.2 million

10-This Means War: $13 million