Fullbuster

Russia Box Office

8 hours ago, juni78ukr said:

Monday estimates. Black Panther grossed  22% less than Doctor Strange. 79 mln RUB or $1.41 mln OD.

https://www.kinobusiness.com/kassovye_sbory/day/2018/2/26.02.2018/

Did Doctor Strange had its previews on a weekend and its OD on a Monday? Are we comparing like-for-like? 

20 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Did Doctor Strange had its previews on a weekend and its OD on a Monday? Are we comparing like-for-like? 

Yes, weekend previews in premium formats and official opening on Monday.  Actually it's the only comparison here. Cumberbatch is very popular here so 22% less is not that bad. And cold weather probably also affected grosses.  It's really freezing here and lots of snow everywhere. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2018 at 12:21 AM, juni78ukr said:

Yes, weekend previews in premium formats and official opening on Monday.  Actually it's the only comparison here. Cumberbatch is very popular here so 22% less is not that bad. And cold weather probably also affected grosses.  It's really freezing here and lots of snow everywhere. 

I was in Moscow around New Year's. Before arriving I was so excited that I would see tons of snow and experience the famous Russian winter. Alas, when I arrived there, there was almost no snow and locals told me that this was the warmest New Year's they had ever experienced! Since I left, it has been record snowfall across Russia! 

I will have to go again next year. 

2 hours ago, juni78ukr said:

That's the general opinion. People are really shocked how such a mediocre movie can gross huge money in US. 

This will be general opinion in China too.But There is No Hollywood A level films since SW8.This may help BP a bit.People want to change some taste after So many local blockbusters.

btw,Pirates WoM is not that bad for general audience here.it's the hightest Disney film last year.culture difference.

Edited by bangbingchan

I didn't see the movie so I can't judge but I don't think it would get so much praise from the press if it was bad, it's more a cultural gap than anything else.

I can understand people in Russia/China though given the movie never made me say "I need to watch this".

I am shocked that a movie with a predominantly black cast is doing poorly and getting bad word of mouth in Russia. Shocked.

I mean, when I left the country, blackface was still a normalized thing and black soccer players had to endure countless racist insults and chants at soccer matches. So this film appealing to my (former) country's population was never something I expected.

Russia gonna Russia.

Edited by svetlana99
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, svetlana99 said:

I am shocked that a movie with a predominantly black cast is doing poorly and getting bad word of mouth in Russia. Shocked.

I mean, when I left the country, blackface was still a normalized thing and black soccer players had to endure countless racist insults and chants at soccer matches. So this film appealing to my (former) country's population was never something I expected.

Russia gonna Russia.

Somebody's out of the Lviv asylum.