Eric Atreides

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire | March 29, 2024 | They're boyfriends now

Bruh GvK was so fun idc if it had essentially zero plot. I don't get those that criticize the plot but then complain about the human characters. You shouldn't expect anything deep from big monkey and big lizard going boom boom.

How do these films keep getting greenlit?, especially when we are talking about a studio supposedly in financial trouble.

I mean they always seem to make in the 400-500mil range WW, off what i would guess would be around 200mil budgets when including marketing etc.

8 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

How do these films keep getting greenlit?, especially when we are talking about a studio supposedly in financial trouble.

I mean they always seem to make in the 400-500mil range WW, off what i would guess would be around 200mil budgets when including marketing etc.

For artistic integrity

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

They make money 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

For three main reasons:

1) Even with the high budgets, the series overall is profitable for the studio. GvK especially made them quite a bit of money despite the streaming release at the same time. Anything that makes money gets sequels nowadays.

2) IP is the honey for which studios go mad in the last 10 years and more and more so. Brands - even ones like Godzilla and King Kong - will forever get movies since the brand is so popular in pop culture that anything new (for example entirely new giant monster movies) will make much less money, so investing in a proven IP is far safer for studios even if the budget is very high.

3) Elaborating from both points: Warner Bros just doesnt have that many succesfull IPs anymore. Their main vehicle, DC, is struggling hard, their big fantasy franchises - Wizarding World and LOTR/Hobbit - have run out of steam and even the ever-profitable Conjuring franchise seems to be on the decline.

It seems funny to say, but its true: The Monsterverse is one of the very few franchises that - for now - dont seem to be collapsing. So it completely makes sense for WB to invest in more movies.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

When you're a studio that's had a number of misfires like Legendary, even a franchise that turns in even a decent profit can be your "golden goose." 

G14, K:SI, and even GVK made some money (though for GvK, seems like WB bought out Legendary's budget contributions and earned most, if not all, of the box office run profit). KOTM lost money, but I think GXK will continue the trend from GVK. 

Edit: looks like some of us decided to respond at the same time with similar points 🤣

Edited by kaijukurt

13 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

For three main reasons:

1) Even with the high budgets, the series overall is profitable for the studio. GvK especially made them quite a bit of money despite the streaming release at the same time. Anything that makes money gets sequels nowadays.

2) IP is the honey for which studios go mad in the last 10 years and more and more so. Brands - even ones like Godzilla and King Kong - will forever get movies since the brand is so popular in pop culture that anything new (for example entirely new giant monster movies) will make much less money, so investing in a proven IP is far safer for studios even if the budget is very high.

3) Elaborating from both points: Warner Bros just doesnt have that many succesfull IPs anymore. Their main vehicle, DC, is struggling hard, their big fantasy franchises - Wizarding World and LOTR/Hobbit - have run out of steam and even the ever-profitable Conjuring franchise seems to be on the decline.

It seems funny to say, but its true: The Monsterverse is one of the very few franchises that - for now - dont seem to be collapsing. So it completely makes sense for WB to invest in more movies.

To also add to this while not the best reviewed franchise, for the audience and reviews its nice to have cinematic universe where there's only 1 movie every few years instead of one or more every year 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stuart360 said:

These movies are primarily financed by Legendary. 

On 7/15/2023 at 5:27 AM, grim22 said:

This is clearly going to move to summer once studios realize about 4 weeks from now that they have nothing on deck for summer thanks to the strikes.

A lot of films are going to move anyway, Memorial Day weekend had four different films.