CJohn

THE MORBIUS OPENING WEEKEND THREAD | #MORBIUSSWEEP #LETOSWEEP | SONY SWEEPS WITH 84M WW OW | 39.1M OW | 17.1M OD | 5.7M PREVIEWS

On 4/2/2022 at 10:04 PM, Tokugennumataka said:

13th

1. Avatar - 6.53M

2. Frozen - 4.40M

3. No Way Home - 4.05M

4. Jurassic World - 2.69M

5. Bohemian Rhapsody - 2.47M

6. Raya and the Last Dragon - 2.34M

7. The Blind Side - 2.26M

8. LOTR: FOTR - 2.12M

9. Black Panther - 2.08M

10. LOTR: RoTK - 2.02M

14th

1. Avatar - 4.03M

2. Frozen - 3.63M

3. NWH - 3.14M

4. The Italian Job - 2.95M

5. LOTR: FoTR - 2.36M

6. Wonder Woman - 2.04M

7. Bohemian Rhapsody - 1.82M

15th

Frozen - 2.95

FoTR - 2.38

NWH - 2.00

The Italian job - 1.75

A Wrinkle in Time (LOL) - 1.68

16th

Frozen - 2.15

Gravity - 1.87

FoTR - 1.74

Dinosaur - 1.71

NWH - ~1.5

The Blind Side - 1.26

I never prepped these lists so far out. Didn't think any film could crack these ranks in this day and age. Anyway, I don't think these are much helpful as The Numbers only report these upto #100. And I'm pretty sure I've missed some film whose 13th wide week is actually week 18 or something

Gravity and Dinosaur are expansion weekends, Frozen and FOTR seem cleany ahead as well as life of Pi. Should be above Frozen finally for 17th, can maybe set some 1st places for 20th/21st if it increases from ds2. 

4 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Don't think it changes much. It'd take 3-4 bombas in a row for them to consider changing anything. What I don't see is any of those movies making bank outside of possibly Venom 3. Kraven, Madame Webb....meh. I'm not convinced Quicksilver will make a good Kraven either, but we'll see.

What I do think changes though is the imminent deal that - as far as we know - is not yet signed between Disney and Sony. IMO they were waiting on the outcome of Morbius to see what would happen before signing. Feige mentioned they are planning a college trilogy so if we go by other deals then it would be 3 solo + 3 ensemble (plus the other ensemble that is still to come from the 2019 deal). Because Disney+ is the most important thing at Disney right now and much more important than it was when the last deal was done I'm sure one of the most important things Disney and Marvel Studios want are all Live Action Television rights (currently mostly owned by Sony with Marvel having some veto rights). 

1 hour ago, AnotherDayAnotherDollar said:

What I do think changes though is the imminent deal that - as far as we know - is not yet signed between Disney and Sony. IMO they were waiting on the outcome of Morbius to see what would happen before signing. Feige mentioned they are planning a college trilogy so if we go by other deals then it would be 3 solo + 3 ensemble (plus the other ensemble that is still to come from the 2019 deal). Because Disney+ is the most important thing at Disney right now and much more important than it was when the last deal was done I'm sure one of the most important things Disney and Marvel Studios want are all Live Action Television rights (currently mostly owned by Sony with Marvel having some veto rights). 

Where is this evidence that any extension of a deal or even a handshake deal is not signed between SONY and MARVEL/DISNEY?  Last I heard from both Feige and Rothman, they seemed pretty darn sure to reiterate to the press that they are *not* planning on letting this kind of drama play out again anytime soon.  But anything can happen, I guess...

7 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Where is this evidence that any extension of a deal or even a handshake deal is not signed between SONY and MARVEL/DISNEY?  Last I heard from both Feige and Rothman, they seemed pretty darn sure to reiterate to the press that they are *not* planning on letting this kind of drama play out again anytime soon.  But anything can happen, I guess...

I can't prove a negative. The burden of proof is rather on proving that the new deal has taken place. Feige, Rothman, Pascal and others all wanted to resign and were enthused about it as of the timing of their interviews in NWH. Chapek and Yoshida can tell them to watch paint dry if they want. Bergman and Vinciquerra can also veto and supersede Feige at Disney and Rothman at Sony. They would actually be the ones to sign the deal not Feige and Rothman.

I'm sure one of the trades will report something if and when that happens. Until then I'll assume things are still being worked on.