chasmmi

The Third Grand Annual Best Songs in Movies Countdown Begins!!!... It is a top 111 Extravaganza because there is a lot present in 101-111th

95th - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Meet Me in St Louis  

78 Points - 0 Top 5 Vote, 0 top 10

And we are back into the realms of classic movie musicals. 

This is another big name song finishing maybe a lot lower than expected. Or maybe this is not unexpected at all, I mean let's be fair how are you going to fit Hakuna Matata and Fixer Upper into this list if things like the above are taking up all the space? I'm probably joking about those two though...or am I?

• Like 6

94th - I Just Can't Wait to be King- The Lion King  

78 Points - 0 Top 5 Vote, 0 top 10

Well, it isn't Hakuna Potata at least...

When I mentioned that Moana had the best consistent soundtrack of the 21st century, the 21sty century caveat was very much added because of this film (and Aladdin). The Lion King has a wonderful soundtrack and I wouldn't be surprised by any of its songs making the list, even if this is a song and dance number hoping that your dad dies.  

• Like 7

93rd - Blame Canada - South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut  

78 Points - 0 Top 5 Vote, 0 top 10 (Ahead of Lion King on Tiebreak)

Trey Parker and Matt Stone burst onto the big time.

This is one of my favourite musicals of all time and I love seeing the songs get love. I will say that this is not my favourite song of the the film. I am very much in the corner of Up There, but that being said, this song is still great and it should be higher. 

• Like 6

92nd - Skyfall - Skyfall 

78 Points - 0 Top 5 Vote, 0 top 10 (Ahead of Blame Canada on Tiebreak)

The final member of the 78 points club.

Ignore the fact that this song basically plays over the obvious death by drowning on James Bond before he is inexplicably just...fine, this song is just really good. Arguably the quality of this song played a big role in the popularity of Skyfall as a film (even if it is the best Craig Bond out there). It feels like a classic all time Bond Theme and it will be remembered as a classic all time Bond Theme. 

• Like 7

91st - Everything I Do, I Do it For You - Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

79 Points - 0 Top 5 Vote, 2 top 10 

The longest reigning number one single in UK music history. This song was everywhere for about 18 weeks. 

Another Classic Ballad from the world of Bodyguard and friends, Bryan Adams still manages to cling onto a spot in the elusive top 100 and I for one, welcome our Canadian power ballad overlords. This is another song that is synonymous with the the film to the point that it almost represents the film in many people's eyes. Possibly an extent that was not surpassed until another Canadian started bellowing on a boat.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chasmmi said:

91st - Everything I Do, I Do it For You - Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

79 Points - 0 Top 5 Vote, 2 top 10 

The longest reigning number one single in UK music history. This song was everywhere for about 18 weeks. 

Another Classic Ballad from the world of Bodyguard and friends, Bryan Adams still manages to cling onto a spot in the elusive top 100 and I for one, welcome our Canadian power ballad overlords. This is another song that is synonymous with the the film to the point that it almost represents the film in many people's eyes. Possibly an extent that was not surpassed until another Canadian started bellowing on a boat.  

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! (urns) 

90th - You've Got a Friend in Me - Toy Story

79 Points - 0 Top 5 Vote, 2 top 10 (Beats Robin Hood on Tiebreaker)

Pixar threatening to out-Disney, Disney.

Another song that feels like it is pretty much an ambassador to the film. It's such a simple song, but it works so well as a musical backdrop to Toy Story and its world. The music and lyrics (damn, that was a film I should have voted for) all work so well with the film's theme and aesthetic and I am all for it making this appearance.  

• Like 8

89th - Unchained Melody - Ghost

79 Points - 0 Top 5 Vote, 2 top 10 (Beats Toy Story on Tiebreaker)T

The film that made pottery sexy, as well as technically being a romantic scene between Demi and Whoopi. 

I genuinely feel that this is the classic 90's movie love song that should still be in the upper echelons of these lists. The scene is an all time classic scene from a classic Romantic Drama and I would be very sad if this is a sign that this film is being lost to time. 

• Like 6

88th - Puttin on the Ritz - Young Frankenstein

80 Points - 0 Top 5 Vote, 2 top 10 

The first song in the top 100 to secure a points total to itself.

Another classic favourite from lists past that actually almost missed this countdown completely. I think it may even be the last second list I received as I was setting up the thread that actually pushed it into the top 100. I am pretty happy to see it continue to make appearances in the top countdowns, but this could be a sign that this may be the scene's swansong to potentially dropping off next time around.

• Like 5

87th - Now We are Free - Gladiator

81 Points - 0 Top 5 Vote, 2 top 10

Another 'score that happens to have lyrics' type entry to talk up. 

Let me be clear the above comment is not meant to suggest I feel this entry shouldn't be here because it is not song-y enough. I would never say that because it absolutely is eligible under the criteria. I feel this entry shouldn't be here because it is dull and rubbish... wait, that may just be my 3 word review for Gladiator as a film. I do easily get confused. 

How about I move on before I say something that gets somebody riled up :)  

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 3
  • Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 1

86th - Kal Ho Na Ho - Kal Ho Naa Ho

83 Points - 1 Top 5 Vote, 2 top 10

I fecking love this song and this film. 

This was my number 3 on my personal list so I am both over the moon it got more votes to get it on the list while also sad it is only in the 80s.

What I have discovered this time around is that while Bollywood in general was getting a bit more (although not enough) love, there is a lot less consensus on what the classics are that all should vote for compared to the worlds of Disney, and classic musicals and such. Then again, maybe if this was an Indian heavy forum with a light scattering of non-Indians, maybe this flips the other way and all the same Bollywood songs would dominate at the top while it is a crapshoot which Disney songs may scrape in at the lower end.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, chasmmi said:

86th - Kal Ho Na Ho - Kal Ho Naa Ho

83 Points - 1 Top 5 Vote, 2 top 10

I fecking love this song and this film. 

This was my number 3 on my personal list so I am both over the moon it got more votes to get it on the list while also sad it is only in the 80s.

What I have discovered this time around is that while Bollywood in general was getting a bit more (although not enough) love, there is a lot less consensus on what the classics are that all should vote for compared to the worlds of Disney, and classic musicals and such. Then again, maybe if this was an Indian heavy forum with a light scattering of non-Indians, maybe this flips the other way and all the same Bollywood songs would dominate at the top while it is a crapshoot which Disney songs may scrape in at the lower end.  

While Hollywood may make at most 1-2 musical movies per year, Bollywood on the other hand churns out 10’s and 100’s of movies every year all of which are musicals. And with movies going back more than 70-80 years that means there are hundreds of thousands of songs to choose from. I am not surprised there wasn’t much consensus between voters on which Bollywood song to include since there are so freaking many. 

On 4/9/2022 at 12:22 AM, Kalo said:

I actually had this in my top 100, but had to sacrifice it for more songs. what can I saw I like baskstreet boys and it totally reminds me off my pre-teen years in the early 2000s. 

No joke, my friends and I are going to see the Backstreet Boys this summer and it's all because I've been listening to 90s/00s boy bands non-stop since watching Turning Red!!

@ Have Your A Merry Little Christmas

NO ONE can sing that song but Judy Garland.  Facts are facts.  I don't make up the rules.  

@ Everything I Do, I Do It For You

Hollywood really needs to bring back to trope of the power ballad over the credits.  Why that ever went out of vogue is bonkers to me.  

@ Putting On The Ritz

I hope it was my list cause I put that up pretty high I think.  Such a fantastic scene.

• Like 4

85th - Father and Son - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 

83 Points - 0 Top 5 Vote, 1 top 10 (Beats Kal Ho Naa Ho on Tiebreaker)

When it comes to the Guardians soundtrack, it was always going to be a case of how many will make it. 

Also the first appearance of Mary Poppins on the list :) 

Oh, double also, Cat Stevens = Woo! I think this scene suffers from being in the weaker Guardians film as if it had been a part of the first film (I don't know how you make that work), it could become the stand out soundtrack moment of the franchise as opposed to one that perhaps is going to play second fiddle to the first film's funner stuff. Or maybe it didn't?

• Like 6
  • ...wtf 2

84th - The Gondola Song - Ikiru 

83 Points - 1 Top 5 Vote, 0 top 10 (Beats Father and Son on Tiebreaker)

I would make a silly comment, but... I don't know what context is happen here. It doesn't look like a samurai.

I will say that I was not expecting a black and white Japanese film to make the top 100, but all power to it. Diversity in choice is always a great thing and the more variety the more interesting everything gets. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

83rd - Kiss From a Rose - Batman Forever 

83 Points - 1 Top 5 Vote, 0 top 10 (Beats Gondola Song on Tiebreaker)

Makes sense to employ a seal to take down the achievements of a penguin in the previous film. 

Another classic soundtrack from the days of "Pop Goes the Movies" compilation albums and such that compiled the 18-36 so-called most iconic movie songs. Another song that is maybe starting to slide as the people that bought it on compact disc start to enter their 5th decade. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

82nd - Come and Get Your Love - Guardians of the Galaxy 

84 Points - 1 FIRST PLACE, 0 Top 5 Vote, 0 top 10 

What was I saying about Guardians songs about 3 reveals back?

So, we get to see our first top placed song on this countdown and it took nearly 20 songs to get there. Yeah, it may not have the moment of the previous entry, but it is just a really fun and cool opening scene that really did a great job of setting the tone for what the rest of Guardians was going to be. It's also just a really fun song and scene. 

• Like 5
  • ...wtf 1

81st - Another Day of Sun - La La Land 

85 Points - 0 Top 5 Vote, 0 top 10

Is it only me that feels that this would just make being stuck in traffic worse?

Remember when movie musicals were all about this and Greatest Showman. What a year that was. This song is fine in my opinion, and if it had been in a better musical, that may have helped it more, but sadly it was in La La Land. 

• Like 6
  • ...wtf 1

3 hours ago, chasmmi said:

81st - Another Day of Sun - La La Land 

85 Points - 0 Top 5 Vote, 0 top 10

Is it only me that feels that this would just make being stuck in traffic worse?

Remember when movie musicals were all about this and Greatest Showman. What a year that was. This song is fine in my opinion, and if it had been in a better musical, that may have helped it more, but sadly it was in La La Land. 

tenor.gif