chasmmi

The Third Grand Annual Best Songs in Movies Countdown Begins!!!... It is a top 111 Extravaganza because there is a lot present in 101-111th

9th - Hellfire - Hunchback of Notre Dame

193 Points - 1 FIRST, 1 Top 5 Vote, 1 top 10

My number one actually made the top 10! You all are getting better at this voting lark. 

Well isn't this a Cinderella story. A hugely underrated song from a pretty underrated film is finally...ummm, rated? This song is dark, menacing, a great example of a villain not thinking they are in fact in the wrong and thus justify their actions to themselves. It's not a jaunty little ditty of a jolly old song, but it is effective and I'm pretty darn chuffed to see it in the top 10. 

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

8th - Beauty and the Beast - Beauty an the Beast

212 Points - 0 FIRST, 3 Top 5 Vote, 0 top 10

Miss Marple has the number 8 rated movie song of all time. 

We have now hit the point where any song at this point potentially had a path to full on victory. This is the signature song of one of the most revered films in Disney or even animated history. It is possibly as close to a perfect animated story as you will find, and it will be hard to find anybody who disagrees with this. (I mean they will naturally make their Winona-ness known, but I wouldn't be able to find them.

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

7th - Tomorrow Belongs to Me - Cabaret

235 Points - 0 FIRST, 4 Top 5 Vote, 2 top 10

Cabaret is back once more. 

Of all the classic musicals from classical musical time that I haven't seen, this certainly seems to be the one with the most highly thought of soundtrack. One of a very small number of films to get two songs or more in the top 50 and that is no mean feat with the consistent barrage of new musicals and songs appearing week on week only in a cinema near you. Or a Streaming service, or through like Amazon Prime, or TV, Or Quibli - did Quibli have songs... is it spelt Quibli? Wait, what was I talking about?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

6th - My Heart Will Go On - Titanic

238 Points - 2 FIRST, 1 Top 5 Vote, 1 top 10

The highest rated song not to be heard during the runtime of the film itself I believe. 

The classic tale of boy meets girl, girl wants to jump of boat, boy tricks girl into thinking she can fly, girl fucks boy in car, boy draws girl like on of his French girls, girl leaves boy to freeze to death while sitting on a perfectly roomy door. Classic, classic tale. Then Celine Dion sings a lovely ballad that encompasses all of those feelings excellently.  

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

5th - A Whole New World

238 Points - 0 FIRST, 2 Top 5 Vote, 0 top 10

The top rated song to not get a number one vote. 

The second highest rated Disney song on our list and it comes from the second best Disney animation so that is very fitting indeed. Also the top rated duet on our list and that is a pretty good shout all in my book. You have to be a person with zero heart to not be able to accept this song as the joy that it is and this film as the classic it will always be.  

• Like 5
  • ...wtf 1

4th - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life - Life of Brian

244 Points - 1 FIRST, 0 Top 5 Vote, 3 top 10

This song was actually in top spot with about 5 lists left to tally and then it just stopped receiving votes. 

Seriously, we were on course for the upset of all upsets as this song shot to the top of the list, it was something incredible to behold. Sadly, it was overhauled as the other three songs continued to receive big support and the top two especially, left it in the dust. Still, 4th place is a great finish. Top Comedy song, top song from a non-musical, top song sung by somebody called Eric. That's a decent list of top accolades. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

3rd - Circle of Life - The Lion King

258 Points - 1 FIRST, 1 Top 5 Vote, 1 top 10

And no top spot for Disney. They top out at third. 

Once again Lion King reigns supreme at the top of the Disney mountain, but also once again, it comes up short in the grand scheme of the top 100. This song laid down the gauntlet as to exactly what Lion King was going to offer up over its subsequent 90 minutes. That being one of the best soundtracks ever put to a CD and a soundtrack that played alongside one of the best stories ever put to animation.  

• Like 6
  • ...wtf 2

2nd - Singing in the Rain - Singing in the Rain

297 Points - 2 FIRST, 1 Top 5 Vote, 1 top 10

The original umbrella song. 

Seems that whatever happens in these lists, there are two classics that will continue to rise to the top no matter what challengers may come. This is a song and dance showcase that despite being nearly as old as Tele himself, manages to stay fresh in the mind of so many film fans in what is closely approaching a century (well three quarters of one) after its original release.  

• Like 7
  • Astonished 1

1st - Somewhere Over the Rainbow - The Wizard of Oz

351 Points - 2 FIRST, 1 Top 5 Vote, 1 top 10

Speaking of songs and films fast approaching a century in age... 

It seems that there can be dozens of great songs released every year in all genres and styles and yet, this, this will still rise to the top and obliterate these lists. It is not my favourite song, or my favourite film, not by a long shot, but it cannot be denied that this song is cemented as one of the most popular movie songs ever. It is very rare for a film, character, etc to repeat victories in these recurring lists, so for Over the Rainbow to not just repeat but destroy the competition... that is a statement.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

3 hours ago, chasmmi said:

4th - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life - Life of Brian

244 Points - 1 FIRST, 0 Top 5 Vote, 3 top 10

This song was actually in top spot with about 5 lists left to tally and then it just stopped receiving votes. 

Seriously, we were on course for the upset of all upsets as this song shot to the top of the list, it was something incredible to behold. Sadly, it was overhauled as the other three songs continued to receive big support and the top two especially, left it in the dust. Still, 4th place is a great finish. Top Comedy song, top song from a non-musical, top song sung by somebody called Eric. That's a decent list of top accolades. 

i can’t believe y’all robbed this masterpiece of its top spot. especially for some silly cartoon lion song.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The Panda said:

i can’t believe y’all robbed this masterpiece of its top spot. especially for some silly cartoon lion song.

Excuse me. Gene and Judy topped the list. It’s perfect!!!!! 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Them being above Monty I can maybe excuse. Cannot excuse that silly disneyland song!

Life is full of disappointments. What matters is how you handle them and Move on!!!

😂😂😂😂😂