The Wild Eric

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE SECRETS OF DUMBLEDORE WEEKEND THREAD | Read the first post for the rules

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I know, but from the trailer, dinos chasing through the streets of Rome (?) looks too ridiculous even for this franchise. You could say the movie has jumped the shark...

I think its the streets of Malta, which would raise even more funny questions. That is of course just my perspective on things, but dinos on the mainland are something new for this franchise (Lost World ending doesnt really count) and ive seen very few people on plattforms like YouTube commenting that they are not excited for that. Like i said, everyone knows its stupid but if its the fun kind of stupid rather than the tedious kind, that will only help the film.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

I didn't dislike Jurassic World. Liked it perfectly fine in a three-star out of five way, ya know?

But I never bothered with Fallen Kingdom. Trailers were unappealing, reviews/reception didn't make me think I missed out and from the looks of Dominion, they are pretending they never played the Nostalgia Card (annoyingly so, to be honest) while hoping for "finale factor."

Fallen Kingdom is a very stupid move that is also an incredible Masterpiece and honestly, i think they played the nostalgia card now for the 3rd time in a row 😄 but it seems to me that the finale factor is working, lots of people seem to think that this is the end of the Jurassic Saga. Which it is not of course lol.

Everything Everywhere is locked to make more than a pair of action films from directors (Michael Bay, Roland Emmerich) who were box office titans in the genre during the late 90s/early 2000s (and whose filmmaking hasn't evolved much since their heydays). We love to see it.

• Like 6
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Fallen Kingdom is a very stupid move that is also an incredible Masterpiece and honestly, i think they played the nostalgia card now for the 3rd time in a row 😄 but it seems to me that the finale factor is working, lots of people seem to think that this is the end of the Jurassic Saga. Which it is not of course lol.

The last 2 JW movies both decided at the last minute to not go with the "we spliced dino and human DNA together" despite setting up that twist throughout both movies. The I-Rex being part Raptor is a thing that makes no sense and is a thing changed at the last minute because the logical twist is that it's part human. Similarly, discount Hailee Steinfeld being only a clone also doesn't track fully seeing the focus on her through the movie.

• Like 1

Those of you who've been following the family movie landscape shouldn't be too surprised at Sonic 2 being as frontloaded as it is. Like I said previously, most families are perfectly content with waiting for digital options. It was always going to play out like a Marvel/superhero movie, since that's the audience primarily driving exhibition nowadays. And Sonic has one of the biggest fanbases in the world of course.

The meltdowns here remind me of Deadpool 2. After its second weekend people were sure $300M was dead for it. It ended up crossing that mark anyway.

14 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Even if its not the end of the Jurassic series, a period of dormancy definitely wouldn't hurt. 

34 minutes ago, Maggie said:

So, Sonic 2 won't do much better than Sonic 1 and that one had its legs cut off by the start of the pandemic. I'm so disappointed. Paramount started this year relatively ok, but this is a fail

Seriously? Sonic 2 is a fail? It has changed from a huge success to a fail overnight? Ignoring its big opening and great reception, while its 2nd weekend isn't finished yet?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

The new Jurassic World looks bonkers and it will be huge.  It will have a stupid script and a lot of absurds throwed to the audiences, but i guess this is what everyones wants from this movies anyway.

The 1st one is exactly this and we all know how big it was. Fallen Kingdom have a considerable worse reception because it tries to take itself too seriously, luckily it seems we´re about to get another simple stupid fun movie and everyone will loved it, i´m pretty confident in +500M.

Other than that, DS2 could be another 500M grosser, after 2020 and 2021 i think we should be happy. We have some successes here and there, with a few very huge movies still coming, it´s not ideal but to me looks like the best scenario considering it´s still a recovering market no matter how hard we try to ignore it.

OT: FB3 is a huge flop and the only reason i can see they keep this franchise alive is because Warner need franchises, now more than ever with the streaming wars. Sonic looks like a 180-190M finish which is more than fine, and very happy for EEAOO, crossing fingers for +30M total.

• ...wtf 1

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

The new Jurassic World looks bonkers and it will be huge.  It will have a stupid script and a lot of absurds throwed to the audiences, but i guess this is what everyones wants from this movies anyway.

The 1st one is exactly this and we all know how big it was. Fallen Kingdom have a considerable worse reception because it tries to take itself too seriously, luckily it seems we´re about to get another simple stupid fun movie and everyone will loved it, i´m pretty confident in +500M.

Other than that, DS2 could be another 500M grosser, after 2020 and 2021 i think we should be happy. We have some successes here and there, with a few very huge movies still coming, it´s not ideal but to me looks like the best scenario considering it´s still a recovering market no matter how hard we try to ignore it.

OT: FB3 is a huge flop and the only reason i can see they keep this franchise alive is because Warner need franchises, now more than ever with the streaming wars. Sonic looks like a 180-190M finish which is more than fine, and very happy for EEAOO, crossing fingers for +30M total.

A lot of guys on this sub always underestimating JW, they cannot let go of their MCU tinted glasses. Hopefully JW smashes DS2 to bring back some perspective. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Those of you who've been following the family movie landscape shouldn't be too surprised at Sonic 2 being as frontloaded as it is. Like I said previously, most families are perfectly content with waiting for digital options. It was always going to play out like a Marvel/superhero movie, since that's the audience primarily driving exhibition nowadays. And Sonic has one of the biggest fanbases in the world of course.

The meltdowns here remind me of Deadpool 2. After its second weekend people were sure $300M was dead for it. It ended up crossing that mark anyway.

This is why price incentives for families are so important to get them out...getting them in for some money in huge numbers is better than not getting them in at all at full price money.

Sonic 2 did give a nice family incentive for ticket prices.  And thus, you got the biggest Covid opener of a non-super.

Hopefully, DC Superpets follows that trend b/c it could be like Teen Titans Go To The Movies if it stays all full price all the time...or it could be huge.

Of all the summer family movies, Minions will get all swim teams and summer camps b/c it's a known product, so the other animateds will have to pull in audience vs getting it "pushed" to them by circumstance.

Edited by TwoMisfits

47 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I know, but from the trailer, dinos chasing through the streets of Rome (?) looks too ridiculous even for this franchise. You could say the movie has jumped the shark...

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of scenes of dinosaurs actually jumping over sharks. 

• Astonished 1