Eric Atreides

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE SECRETS OF DUMBLEDORE WEEKEND THREAD | Read the first post for the rules

19 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Yeah honestly just give Joanne the treatment of she getting a say at the end of development but it doesn’t go further than that, I think a new flavor would help whatever is next.

I think that's most likely to happen. It has happened to other franchises in the past like Star Trek where the studio  reduces the original creator's involvement to the bare minimum and it turns out for the best.

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Almost making 800m is not bad for a reboot that's being released basically for free 45 days later.

I mean, The Batman is easily one of the most successful reboots in history. 

Yep and it has succesfully layed the groundwork for the sequel to explode. Fans love it, most critics love it and its legs show that most of the GA do as well. Very similar situation to Batman Begins --> The Dark Knight incoming imo if - of course - the 2nd film is as good or even better than The Batman.

Edited by Brainbug the Dinosaur
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Grebacio said:

This will be the first weekend without any Comic Book movie in the top 5 since August 27-29.

Sonic does have a pretty notable history in comic tbh

6 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Yep and it has succesfully layed the groundwork for the sequel to explode. Fans love it, most critics love it and its legs show that most of the GA do as well. Very similar situation to Batman Begins --> The Dark Knight incoming imo if - of course - the 2nd film is as good or even better than The Batman.

Yeah, I fully expect that to happen too.

31 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think that's most likely to happen. It has happened to other franchises in the past like Star Trek where the studio  reduces the original creator's involvement to the bare minimum and it turns out for the best.

I can already predict the next 10 years:

First, we'll probably get Fantastic Beasts 4 and 5 jumbled up into a 6-episode HBO Max miniseries. It will be overlong and feature janky pacing, but that's just how miniseries roll these days. After that, JK Rowling basically gets yeeted out from Heyman/Warner from all future Potter projects. They'll probably try to find a way to cut out Joanne entirely to rinse their hands of the whole thing, though they'll probably still be forced her in an executive producer role and make sure they alert the press and let them know she has zero creative input on this stuff.

After that we get some random HBO Max spin-off about Hogwarts founders or Hagrid or whoever that will last like 3 or 4 seasons. Then in the 2030s, when the nostalgia cycle is just right, we finally get that legacyquel with the whole cast doing their thing. We all think it's stupid, yes, but we all know it will make big bucks. It becomes a ludicrously successful trilogy, some HBO Max show will tie into these movies like what Disney+ is doing, the last movie will set up a bunch of other shows, and we'll get a really fun press tour over all these projects, with everybody ensuring Rowling doesn't actually have her fingerprints on any of this crap.

I'm like Nostradamus. Ericstradamus!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, John Marston said:

lol you said this movie would be well received  and do well 

It is being received well by audiences.  It's doing about what it can do at this point, maybe a little less.  

By all means though, let's everyone freak the fuck out every single weekend.  It's productive.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

First, we'll probably get Fantastic Beasts 4 and 5 jumbled up into a 6-episode HBO Max miniseries. It will be overlong and feature janky pacing, but that's just how miniseries roll these days.

The Surf Dracula way

4 hours ago, YourMother said:

That was pre-Mickey’s law.

I’m sorry but a 60%+ drop Easter weekend is bad no matter how you slice it. Yes it’s good a family film which skews heavily towards males is doing well-ish and should top Sing 2 but I'm not going to pretend it’s doing extraordinarily great just because the past few years have been shit.

Lol, can we at least see how the weekend goes when the weekend..... actually happens?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

First, we'll probably get Fantastic Beasts 4 and 5 jumbled up into a 6-episode HBO Max miniseries. It will be overlong and feature janky pacing, but that's just how miniseries roll these days. After that, JK Rowling basically gets yeeted out from Heyman/Warner from all future Potter projects. They'll probably try to find a way to cut out Joanne entirely to rinse their hands of the whole thing, though they'll probably still be forced her in an executive producer role and make sure they alert the press and let them know she has zero creative input on this stuff.

After that we get some random HBO Max spin-off about Hogwarts founders or Hagrid or whoever that will last like 3 or 4 seasons. Then in the 2030s, when the nostalgia cycle is just right, we finally get that legacyquel with the whole cast doing their thing. We all think it's stupid, yes, but we all know it will make big bucks. It becomes a ludicrously successful trilogy, some HBO Max show will tie into these movies like what Disney+ is doing, the last movie will set up a bunch of other shows, and we'll get a really fun press tour over all these projects, with everybody ensuring Rowling doesn't actually have her fingerprints on any of this crap.

I'm like Nostradamus. Ericstradamus!

No offense, but JK literally made sure the freakin fake boulders in the Wizarding World parks looked the way she wanted. I seriously doubt she would relinquish any creative control. Plus, look what a disaster happened with the Star Wars sequel trilogy after Lucas gave up control. The PT may be flawed, but they were still entertaining and creative, unlike what came after. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

Personally I think WB should just leave Fantastic Beasts as a trilogy and focus on developing a new Wizarding World film with new creatives. 

A one-and-done Force Awakens reunion film with the three leads firmly remaining front and center followed by a Hogwarts: The Next Generation series on HBO Max headlined by... Matthew Lewis.

As expected, a total collapse with American critics. The amount of Youtube critics and bloggers that thrive off not being off the bandwagon would be desperate to hit it even though the majority of audiences not only consider this way better than Crimes, but the best in the series.

Yet it's at 50% on RT now? For fuck's sake.

EDIT: To make it clear, this isn't me being conspiritorial in that there is an underground movement to do a hit job on Rowling. I just think a bunch of the bloggers and Youtube critics are desperate to have the more popular opinion.

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

5 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

It is being received well by audiences.  It's doing about what it can do at this point, maybe a little less.  

By all means though, let's everyone freak the fuck out every single weekend.  It's productive.  

I mean if you think a mid-80s RT Aud. score and a future B Cinemascore is "well-received", then okay. I'm also not sure why you're all "let's wait until the weekend is over before we say anything". We're a weekend thread. That's what we do. We predict based off historical evidence what will happen and discuss it. Sure, we might be wrong, but then what else are we going to talk about?

2 minutes ago, James said:

No offense, but JK literally made sure the freakin fake boulders in the Wizarding World parks looked the way she wanted. I seriously doubt she would relinquish any creative control. Plus, look what a disaster happened with the Star Wars sequel trilogy after Lucas gave up control. The PT may be flawed, but they were still entertaining and creative, unlike what came after. 

Cool. George Lucas was also set to own Star Wars forever. Warner will find a way to improve their bottom line and get rid of people they find toxic. Garbage capitalism always wins. And regardless on what we feel about the Sequel Trilogy and what they could have grossed, they all made a billion dollars. Mandalorian made billions off Baby Yoda merch. Those other Star Wars shows will make big bucks too. And I'm sure when the movies come back, they'll make tons of money too.

And at the end of the day, studios don't give a damn about how high-quality or interesting a film can be, but how much money they can make. And if they think they'll make more if Rowling is away from the project, then that's that. Sorry, but that's the truth.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Noctis said:

As expected, a total collapse with American critics. The amount of Youtube critics and bloggers that thrive off not being off the bandwagon would be desperate to hit it even though the majority of audiences not only consider this way better than Crimes, but the best in the series.

Yet it's at 50% on RT now? For fuck's sake.

EDIT: To make it clear, this isn't me being conspiritorial in that there is an underground movement to do a hit job on Rowling. I just think a bunch of the bloggers and Youtube critics are desperate to have the more popular opinion.

The American bloggers and YouTube critics are in tune with the American audience. The RT audience score does not indicate that reception is better than the first Beasts film. People may be saying its the best of the series now, but probably some of that is from the first Fantastic Beasts being reevaluated a bit or lumped in with Crimes, its audience reception was actually quite good at the time and so were its legs. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

So glad knowing that Scream was one of them :) 

What is going on with America though? We’re having huge hits here in the UK. Belfast doing the equivelant of $150m, Sing 2 and Sonic 2 easily beating their predecessors. The Bad Guys doing solid Easter business heading for the equivelant of $100m+. The Batman being massive with the equivelant of $400m despite a 15 rating. 

Not including Fantastic Beasts 3, obviously. But I don’t think that’s been huge anywhere. 

What are you talking about? It's had huge openings in France, Germany, Italy, Nordic countries. 

1 hour ago, Pinacolada said:

Honestly probably a good idea. A little embarrassing, but not as embarrassing as ending the franchise (though it does seem like the ending of this, which I haven't seen yet, doesn't leave things TOO open ended)

With SoD only being a slight improvement on the 2nd film, but still pretty meh critically, I think the damage is done. Don't see a 4th movie really recovering at the box office even if they can actually make something really good.

6 episode HBO Max "event"

Slight improvement on who? The audiences who have seen this (just look at the members here) think it is a massive improvement over the second with many saying it is the best.

Slight improvement with critics, but that's another story with the critical landscape being inundated by bloggers and Youtube critics.