YM!

April 22-24th Weekend thread | Northman conquers $5m Friday, Mr. Wolf’s fine ass and The Bad Guys steal $8m, and Unbearable Talent has an unbearable start at $3m

I’m not surprised about the Bad Guys doing well, it did well here in the UK before and then throughout Easter.

I think $12m+ is fine for The Northman, it’s a tough sell. Hopefully it didn’t cost $90m. I can’t see a studio looking a the grosses for the directors two previous film and then deciding to give him a blockbuster budget. 

The Nicholas Cage film looked very niche (to the audience online who think he’s funny because of the countless questionable films he makes), so I’m not surprised to see it struggling to hit 7. 

8 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

The Northman did not cost $90m.  Stop with that dumb misinformation.  

Well, I think it cost closer to $90 million than $60 million.

The budget for “The Northman,” which comes out in late April, started at sixty-five million dollars. Eggers wrote the script with Sjón, an Icelandic novelist and poet, and attracted a major cast. The film stars Alexander Skarsgård and Anya Taylor-Joy, alongside Ethan Hawke, Nicole Kidman, Claes Bang, and Willem Dafoe. But then months of covid-related delays and costly safety protocols pushed the budget way beyond that.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/04/04/robert-eggerss-historical-visions-go-mainstream

https://www.thefilmik.com/the-northman-budget-revealed/

Why are people confused by the 90 million budget on Northman? It is well established by The New Yorker. You know the nearly 100 year old publication that is famous for dogmatic fact-checking. Their fact checking department even inspired an amazing novel and not so great movie, Bright Lights Big City.  The New Yorker also haven't issued a correction either, despite what the studio has said, meaning they have a direct quotation from Eggers or an exectuive. So its production budget was mostly likely 90 million, unless someone from the accounting department at the production companies can prove otherwise.  

What I really want to know is the P&A budget. It's got to be north of 40 million for the worldwide release. That would be peanuts compared to pre-pandemic global wide release marketing budget. 

Bad for The Northman. This summer is shaping up to be awesome for the big hitters (Strange, Jurassic, Thor). I hope the rest of the movies make some money too. It's bad if only three movies make the most of money.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Revenant's wide expansion: 39.8m.

Revenant's following weekend: 31.7m (-20%)

That's insane for B+ cinemascore. But it was Jan + Oscar buzz. Leo is still the biggest draw and legs out well...

2019: Once Upon Time in Hollywood- 41m OW/142.5m DOM (3.47x)

2015: The Revenant- 39.8m/183.6m DOM (opened limited)

2013: The Wolf of Wall Street- 18.4m 3 day/116.9m DOM (6.35x)

2013: The Great Gatsby- 50m OW/144.8m DOM (2.89x)

2012: Django- 30.1m 3 day/162.8m DOM (5.40x)

2010: Inception- 62.7m OW/292.5m DOM (4.66x)

2010: Shutter Island- 41m OW/128m DOM (3.12x)

J. Edgar is his only flop of decade. 11.2m OW/37.3m DOM (3.33x)

When his lowest multiplier is 2.89.. impressive

A lot of them were December/limited expansion movies though, that’s inflating the average mulitiplier. Still good though. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

The Northman did not cost $90m.  Stop with that dumb misinformation.  

Eggers' GQ interviewer mentions the 90M budget multiple times and he doesn't correct her/actually replies with 'Yeah'. 

This is the first time you’ve worked in a setting outside of New England and the first time you’ve gotten a budget of this size. Most movies of this type don’t get the $90 million budget these days—that’s going towards more CGI-heavy productions.

Eggers: Yeah. And so, please, even if you don't like this movie, root for it, because there should be more. I mean, Alex's dad, Stellan [Skarsgård], put it very well. Nothing wrong with comic book movies, but we need other movies as well. It's amazing that the studio gave me and my collaborators the opportunity to make a film at this scale.

It was incredibly daunting because there's so much responsibility and pressure. But also, I got to make a big Viking movie. We built a Viking village and a Viking city and a Slavic village and warships and merchant ships. It was wild, what we got to do.

Source: https://www.gq.com/story/robert-eggers-the-northman-interview

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

Why are people confused by the 90 million budget on Northman? It is well established by The New Yorker. You know the nearly 100 year old publication that is famous for dogmatic fact-checking. Their fact checking department even inspired an amazing novel and not so great movie, Bright Lights Big City.  The New Yorker also haven't issued a correction either, despite what the studio has said, meaning they have a direct quotation from Eggers or an exectuive. So its production budget was mostly likely 90 million, unless someone from the accounting department at the production companies can prove otherwise.  

What I really want to know is the P&A budget. It's got to be north of 40 million for the worldwide release. That would be peanuts compared to pre-pandemic global wide release marketing budget. 

Slightly off-topic but Ronan Farrow's book echoes this. The New Yorker's fact-checking standards are incredibly exacting.

10 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Even if The Northman only cost 70M it is still an absolutely awful number. Barely doing 12M OW. Trash.

I'm not that surprised it bombed. It stars the box office poison queen herself. She's a bad omen for movies. Great actress, but she has a knack for picking movies that are a hard sell. Alex is BO poison himself. It was bound to implode

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I'm not that surprised it bombed. It stars the box office poison queen herself. She's a bad omen for movies. Great actress, but she has a knack for picking hard selling movies. Alex is BO poison himself. It was bound to implode

This wacky narrative still going after Aquaman where the trailers heavily featured her character? Skarsgard has had a hit with Tarzan himself.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Spidey Freak said:

This wacky narrative still going on after Aquaman where the trailers heavily focused on her character? Skarsgard has had a hit with Tarzan himself.

ONE movie is a success, but she's been in plenty of flops. Actually, most of her catalogue is flops.

6 minutes ago, Maggie said:

ONE movie is a success, but she's been in plenty of flops. Actually, most of her catalogue is flops.

I mean she is one of the few actress that deliberately choose to make a lot of risky movies even during her peak, overall she rarely played safe with big movies or big baits so that's why most of her movies are flops, not because she is a poison for audiences or something.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Maggie said:

That does not make her BO poison if she chooses film that aren't appealing enough to GA. People turn up if she's in a film they want to watch like The Others, Moulin Rouge!, Aquaman etc. 

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

I mean she is one of the few actress that deliberately choose to make a lot of risky movies even during her peak, overall she rarely played safe with big movies or big baits so that's why most of her movies are flops, not because she is a poison for audiences or something.

I acknowledged that. But still, she tried mainstream fare too and it still flopped. Great actress, as i said, but yeah, she doesn't have the likeability factor, audiences never truly warmed up to her to pay for that cinema ticket

1 hour ago, MrHardapple said:

Well, I think it cost closer to $90 million than $60 million.

The budget for “The Northman,” which comes out in late April, started at sixty-five million dollars. Eggers wrote the script with Sjón, an Icelandic novelist and poet, and attracted a major cast. The film stars Alexander Skarsgård and Anya Taylor-Joy, alongside Ethan Hawke, Nicole Kidman, Claes Bang, and Willem Dafoe. But then months of covid-related delays and costly safety protocols pushed the budget way beyond that.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/04/04/robert-eggerss-historical-visions-go-mainstream

https://www.thefilmik.com/the-northman-budget-revealed/

Eggers, who previously directed ” The Witch” and “The Lighthouse,” has hyped up its huge $90 million budget. However, sources close to the production say the final number was closer to $70 million after factoring in tax incentives. 

https://variety.com/2022/film/box-office/box-office-bad-guys-northman-unbearable-weight-opening-weekend-1235237068/

• Thanks 2