YM!

April 22-24th Weekend thread | Northman conquers $5m Friday, Mr. Wolf’s fine ass and The Bad Guys steal $8m, and Unbearable Talent has an unbearable start at $3m

Just now, AJG said:

Is "everything is doing kinda bad but not as bad as we were expecting" a win?

At this point?

Doctor Who Yes GIF

(tbh if Bad Guys and Northman really reach the higher numbers discussed here it wouldn't be bad even in a pre-pandemic world)

30 minutes ago, CJohn said:

This weekend might make me go from team "theaters be dead" to "theaters be damn alive and well".

We can all thank a single movie for all of this shit, never forget who put buts in the fucking seats all the way back in the Spring of 2021 and filled the Summer schedule in the process. Bless the kings (if this weekend goes well of course, if not fuck them).

Reveal hidden contents

I have never agreed with a post more.

Edit: Apart the blasphemous last part. No matter how this weekend goes, GvK will forever be remembered as the movie which saved cinema not only in a literal, but also a spiritual way.

Edited by Brainbug the Dinosaur
  • Thanks 5

Maybe I'm missing something here, but Puss in Boots should clear 40M+ pretty easily. Shrek is still a popular and well-liked franchise, to the point where even a pointless spin-off sequel should still make decent numbers.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Eric is a furry said:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but Puss in Boots should clear 40M+ pretty easily. Shrek is still a popular and well-liked franchise, to the point where even a pointless spin-off sequel should still make decent numbers.

True and with Spider-Verse gone it has no competition to worry about and will likely be the first big family film since Minions 2 (Paws of Fury is doing Paw Patrol numbers and Super Pets could go O/U 100m). Universal needs to give it the usual push and it’ll blow up.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eric is a furry said:

Not a pointless sequel (purely because Puss is awesome) but yes. 

Edited by Menor Reborn

I can see 25-30M for Bad Guys, which is great 

I don't see much reason for The Northman be very frontloaded, i think 15-18M can happen, also pretty nice 

With Sonic probably getting a tiny drop, this can be a good weekend. 

The Bad Guys success actually bodes very well for future family movies. Lightyear trailer yesterday exploded on social media, it made 19M views just on the movie page on twitter. The first trailer also was pretty big, second biggest ever for animation behind Incredibles 2. I think we have another +100M opening coming soon along with DS2 and JW3.

• Like 3

Bad Guys definitely doing 25M. Matinee pre-sales are INSANE around here, and I have no doubt that walk-ups will be strong too. Only thing genuinely holding it back is the fact that it will see multiple sell-outs, and there aren't enough screens to accommodate. 

Northman is a beast locally (again, same market that treated Green Knight as a summer blockbuster so take that for what you will). 4th biggest previews of 2022 here behind Batman, Beasts, and Uncharted. 

Unbearable Weight pretty much played 10-15% ahead of Ambulance across the board here last night. Doesn't bode super well, but WOM should be good on this. Will have a long shelf life on VOD/cable and streaming.

31 minutes ago, Eric is a furry said:

Yeah, I think people are sleepin on Puss. I can see it hitting 60M OW.

• Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Why is everyone predict a 20m+ opening for Bad Guys? I don't remember seeing 20x IM a lot. 

Bad Guys is a non-sequel, non-disney animated movie and there haven't been a lot of those since the pandemic. but generally they tend to be waaay more walkup-heavy with much lower previews. like for instance The Addams Family did a 20x IM back in fall 2019, and that was an established IP already. Stuff like Abominable and Captain Underpants like someone else mentioned have done 30x or more easily.