YM!

April 22-24th Weekend thread | Northman conquers $5m Friday, Mr. Wolf’s fine ass and The Bad Guys steal $8m, and Unbearable Talent has an unbearable start at $3m

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

ERC is a known dumbass though.

His biggest kick over the last few months has been spouting "legs have not returned, anything over a 50% 2nd weekend drop is always terrible, nothing is sustainable yet!" over and over again. When people point out Dog topping a 4x multi and Uncharted flying past a 3x multi he completely ignores them, and when they mention everything from The 355 to Death on the Nile topping 3x multis he says "those film's openings were too small for them to be relevant".

It's so odd. Just like Variety's endless articles proclaiming/speculating the imminent death of movie theaters.

2 minutes ago, mitchellsilver said:

I do not understand people walking out of movies they paid for to see. I certainly never done it not even Dreamcatcher the worst movie i ever saw in theaters. 

Maybe some people have A-List? Lol. Maybe they're just dumb and expect refunds. I don't understand people texting during movies though, that's dumb. People do weird things at the movies

I walked out of Detective Pikachu and Pete's Dragon because I was annoyed. Had to leave Man of Steel and Cap Phillips because I was motion sick

3 minutes ago, mitchellsilver said:

I do not understand people walking out of movies they paid for to see. I certainly never done it not even Dreamcatcher the worst movie i ever saw in theaters. 

If you’re having a negative net experience, remaining in the theater is classic sunk cost fallacy.   

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, mitchellsilver said:

I verrry nearly walked out on Creed 2 because the crowd of teens was very talkative. not even one group you could shush it was like the whole audience. normally i just put up with it but rocky is my favourite movie series a new rocky movie is a sacred experience everyone should be in rapt awe. i sat through it but i did have to go back for round 2 in a quieter show later.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Barnack said:

8th grade:

Domestic Box Office $13,539,710 Details
International Box Office $808,310 Details
Worldwide Box Office $14,348,020

Uncut Gems (2019)

dbo: 50 millions

no intl release

Lady Bird (2017)

Domestic Box Office $48,958,273 Details
International Box Office $29,986,725 Details
Worldwide Box Office $78,944,998

Hereditary (2018)

Domestic Box Office $44,069,456 Details
International Box Office $37,194,033 Details
Worldwide Box Office $81,263,489

Ex Machina

Domestic Box Office $25,440,971 Details
International Box Office $12,917,421 Details
Worldwide Box Office $38,358,392

Midsommar

Domestic Box Office $27,426,363 Details
International Box Office $19,404,461 Details
Worldwide Box Office $46,830,824

The witch

Domestic Box Office $25,138,705 Details
International Box Office $15,300,269 Details
Worldwide Box Office $40,438,974

The Disaster Artist (2017)

Domestic Box Office $21,120,616 Details
International Box Office $7,597,051 Details
Worldwide Box Office $28,717,667

The farewell(2019)

Domestic Box Office $17,700,478 Details
International Box Office $4,800,209 Details
Worldwide Box Office $22,500,687

The Green Knight

Domestic Box Office $17,173,321 Details
International Box Office $1,696,639 Details
Worldwide Box Office $18,869,960

It comes at night

Domestic Box Office $13,985,117 Details
International Box Office $5,735,086 Details
Worldwide Box Office $19,720,203

Movie with oscar attention like The Room/Moonlight achieved to go over 50% intl, but otherwise A24 seem to do better where they distribute themselve in the USA that the rest of the world when it is handled by a collection of distributor.

Some of the above where more for American audience target, some had Netflix exclusive (green knight), too, but I could imagine quality of distribution not being equal domestic vs many markets.

Uncut Gems has no international theatrical release, because the film's international rights was sold to Netflix.

24 minutes ago, mitchellsilver said:

I walked halfway out of Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of The Were-Rabbit. I was just 5 though and got scared at the transformation stuff.

8 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

One of my old favorite pastimes is older audiences seeing a buzzed movie/Oscar contender and hating it the whole time. Sorry, The Favourite wasn't Downton Abbey

One of my favorite memories is watching mother! and these two old ladies in front of me were quiet the whole time. And then at the end one of them turns to the other and says "I'm picking the movie next time."

36 minutes ago, mitchellsilver said:

A friend and I walked out once. It was a horror movie ( I think Conjuring 2) and the audience was mostly teens. They were so loud and rowdy we just could not tolerate it especially since it was a horror movie where quietness is important. 

Another instance was with Tomorrowland, though I am not sure if I walked out or just slept through. It was so tedious to sit through. 

I also slept through the second half of The Fate of The Furious, I was bored out of my mind. Could not walk out since my friends and cousins were with me. 

6 hours ago, Cap said:

I can absolutely understand why people would not like The Northman.  My friend I saw it with was mixed walking out.  Said it was a lot to take in, and a lot of violence.  And I would argue this is violence.  It's not the escapist whimsy of an MCU action sequence, the L O L over-the-top insanity of a Fast & Furious car chase/pile up, or the craftsmanship of a perfectly choreographed Hong Kong hand-to-hand fight.  It's rape (though that's never explicitly on screen) and pillaging and sheer brutality.

But again, not that different from something like The Revenant (which even had on-screen rape). Did the inclusion of an A-list star in that film really make that much of a difference for audiences?

Edited by lorddemaxus

34 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

But again, not that different from something like The Revenant (which even had on-screen rape). Did the inclusion of an A-list star in that film really make that much of a difference for audiences?

Revenant had Oscar buzz, which goes a long way in making even the most violent and un-crowdpleasing film imaginable a hit. My mom thought Shape of Water was the weirdest film in the world whenever she saw trailers and ads. Then she saw all the Oscar nominations, saw it, and loved it. She will always talk about how she hates horror movies every other day, but she saw Get Out because of its Oscar buzz. If Freddy Got Fingered got Oscar noms, she would be all over it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WayneBorg said:

Updated total for SING 2 which increased 200% this weekend DOM

DOMESTIC (40.1%)
$162,684,970
INTERNATIONAL (59.9%)
$243,244,000
WORLDWIDE
$405,928,970

I thought we are done with Sing2? What explain this sudden come back? I suppose it is the double feature with BG 

9 hours ago, Pinacolada said:

As @Valonqarsaid earlier, it's the international numbers that are most disappointing and baffling to me about The Northman. Domestic frontloading was disappointing but that 12.2 m OW is what it is.

The international numbers being even worse (much worse) surprises and saddens me more. I thought this would have appeal at least in Europe

Good to see a rare outbreak of global sanity.

• ...wtf 1

6 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Maybe some people have A-List? Lol. Maybe they're just dumb and expect refunds. I don't understand people texting during movies though, that's dumb. People do weird things at the movies

I walked out of Detective Pikachu and Pete's Dragon because I was annoyed. Had to leave Man of Steel and Cap Phillips because I was motion sick

Why would they need to expect a refund? If you're having a bad experience there's no need to sink more of your time when you could just spend it elsewhere. Yeah, walking out doesn't bring your money back, but neither does continuing to watch a movie you don't like watching. If the value of watching the film is a net negative to the person, walking out is perfectly fine. I haven't ever walked out myself (mostly because I tend to wait for reactions so while I've been to films I have disliked over the years, I've never been to one I despised that much), but I can understand why some would.

Edited by JustLurking

12 hours ago, mitchellsilver said:

I remember when I went to go see The Wolf of Wallstreet with my friend, we sat next to an elderly couple and by the very first 3 minutes of the movie, the wife was ready to go & they started arguing lol. She eventually walked out after the gay orgy scene from Jordan's maid & her husband said, fine but I'm staying lol. I wonder if she waited in the car or left her husband entirely at the theater and went home.