Eric Atreides

The Northman (2022)

The Northman (2022)  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

This was awesome, and definitely worth seeing on the biggest screen you can find. A beautifully made dark fantasy with Shakespearian undertones, The Northman provides a thrilling and unique spin on the "revenge" tale that's full of unforgettable images and a bleak tone that rarely relents. Alexander Skarsgard, managing to appear even more ripped than when he played Tarzan, is excellent and backed by strong work from Nicole Kidman (who absolutely kills it in her one big scene), Anya Taylor-Joy, Claes Bang, and brief appearances from Ethan Hawke, Willem Dafoe, and Bjork. I hope Robert Eggers gets another chance at making a movie on this scale. A-

The Northman goes all in on its setting and comes out with a film that stands apart from other films of the current film climate as a auteur-driven historical epic. The film has great performances from all actors, unforgettable set-pieces, and a thrilling climax. I gave it a B, but for me it's on the fence between A and B.