Kvikk Lunsj

100 Years of movie countdown thread

4 minutes ago, Tower said:

Since All Quiet in 1930, none of the the winners matched my vote. I suspected it would end up like this though, including the garbage duo of Duck Soup and Snow White.

For some reason I thought it’d be a top five of each year instead of just one winner, so I voted for a bunch of weirdo stuff 😂

1 hour ago, Tower said:

Since All Quiet in 1930, none of the the winners matched my vote. I suspected it would end up like this though, including the garbage duo of Duck Soup and Snow White.

evil queen gifs Page 2 | WiffleGif

15 hours ago, Kalo said:

All I can say is I will be very upset if a certain 1940 film isn't the winner.

IMHO, 1940 is one of the best years ever (if not the best one). I am not sure which film you want to win, but The Grapes of Wrath (my favorite), Rebecca, The Great Dictator, The Philadelphia Story, Fantasia, Pinocchio, The Shop Around the Corner or His Girl Friday are all amazing.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Kalo said:

evil queen gifs Page 2 | WiffleGif

Snow white has about 10 minutes of story with the rest being excruciatingly long songs about cooking and cleaning and taking a bath. It's just so incredibly dull.

On 5/10/2022 at 4:16 AM, peludo said:

IMHO, 1940 is one of the best years ever (if not the best one). I am not sure which film you want to win, but The Grapes of Wrath (my favorite), Rebecca, The Great Dictator, The Philadelphia Story, Fantasia, Pinocchio, The Shop Around the Corner or His Girl Friday are all amazing.

I just saw Rebecca about a month ago and I was blown away by it, it was a rare early era (1920s-1950s) A+ movie for me.

I still need to see some of those. I saw the Grapes of Wrath forever ago and didn't like it, but my taste has changed a lot since then.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 6:05 AM, Tower said:

Snow white has about 10 minutes of story with the rest being excruciatingly long songs about cooking and cleaning and taking a bath. It's just so incredibly dull.

Good songs though. I mean it's not my favorite Disney ever, but it's the first one, the animation is still beautiful and I used to watch it at my grandparents house all the time. and now they're dead. :(

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Kalo said:

I just saw Rebecca about a month ago and I was blown away by it, it was a rare early era (1920s-1950s) A+ movie for me.

I still need to see some of those. I saw the Grapes of Wrath forever ago and didn't like it, but my taste has changed a lot since then.

Rebecca is wonderful. I read somewhere that someone was making a remake but I do not know if it will be come true.

Try again Grapes of Wrath. It is an absolute masterpiece.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, peludo said:

Rebecca is wonderful. I read somewhere that someone was making a remake but I do not know if it will be come true.

Try again Grapes of Wrath. It is an absolute masterpiece.

There was a remake on Netflix the other year

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

There was a remake on Netflix the other year

Yeah, one reportedly of 15! (not including radio)

Pretty sure that no matter how many times they try they're not going to come near Hitchcock's - especially with Olivier,  Joan Fontaine, Judith Anderson and George Sanders (even if they did soften the denouement for the Hays code)

• Like 1

On 5/9/2022 at 9:51 AM, Tower said:

a5b1d18ea717aa72837a8e5e37a25cae.gif

• Haha 2

Pinocchio

lf?set=path%5B5%2F3%2F2%2F532366%5D&call

Director: Ben Sharpsteen & Hamilton Luske

Letterboxd 3.5

IMDB 7.5

Rotten tomatoes 100%

Critical Consensus

“Ambitious, adventurous, and sometimes frightening, Pinocchio arguably represents the pinnacle of Disney's collected works -- it's beautifully crafted and emotionally resonant.”

“Taken as a whole, the picture is a masterpiece which sets another milestone along the road of screen entertainment” THR staff

Won 2 Oscars Best Original song and Best Original Score

Citizen Kane

Citizen-Kane-Retro-Movie-Poster-Vintage-

Director Orson Wells 

Letternboxd 4.2 (195/250)

IMDB 8.3 (93/250)

Rotten Tomatoes 99%

Critical consensus

“Orson Welles's epic tale of a publishing tycoon's rise and fall is entertaining, poignant, and inventive in its storytelling, earning its reputation as a landmark achievement in film”

Critical review

“The sheer brilliance and audacity of Citizen Kane... make the film the most astounding cinematic achievement of the season. It ranks with Disney's Fantasia as a milestone in motion picture technique.” Marjory Adam

Won 1 Oscar (Original screen) 8 nominations (Picture, Actor, Director, Best Cinematography, Black-and-White, Art Direction Black and White,  Best Sound, Best Editing, and Best Music)

Casablanca

casablanca-fine-art-lithograph-poster__2

Director Michael Curtiz

Letterboxd 4.2 (126/250)

IMDB 8.5 (42/250

Rotten Tomatoes 99%

Critical consensus

An undisputed masterpiece and perhaps Hollywood's quintessential statement on love and romance, Casablanca has only improved with age, boasting career-defining performances from Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman

“Some movies just have the perfect script, packed full of endlessly quotable lines that are effortlessly delivered by an extraordinary cast. A phenomenal movie, that everyone needs to have seen.” Charlotte Harrison

Won 2 Oscars (Director and Screenplay) 5 nominations (Best Actor, Best Supp. Actor, Best score for comedy, Best editing, and Best cinematography)

Shadow of a Doubt

shadow-of-a-doubt-1943-directed-by-alfre

Director Alfred Hitchcock

Letterboxd 3.9

IMDB 7.8

Rotten Tomatoes 100%

Critical consensus

“Alfred Hitchcock's earliest classic -- and his own personal favorite -- deals its flesh-crawling thrills as deftly as its finely shaded character”

“An Alfred Hitchcock picture is something of an event. This one, which runs for an hour and 45 minutes, is an ingenious and unorthodox thriller which is continuously entertaining.” Paul Trench

1 Oscar nomination (Best writing Original)

• Like 9

1940- Pinocchio is quite good and much better than Snow White, but this forum continues to overrate WDAS, Grapes Of Wrath and Rebecca are both far superior.

1941- Citizen Kane is the expected choice and the film is fine, but personally I much prefer The Maltese Falcon.

1942- First time since 1930 I agree with this list

1943- No obvious choice here and you went with Hitchcock. I found Shadow Of A Doubt one of his weaker films, and The Ox-Bow Incident could have been a lovely choice.

Double Indemnity

AUSTRALIAN105-2T.jpg?v-cache=1327064021 

Director: Billy Wilder 

Letterboxd 4.2/5 (215/250)

IMDB 8.3 (105/250)

Rotten Tomotoes 97%

Critical conesnsus 

"dark, tautly constructed adaptation of James M. Cain's novel -- penned by Billy Wilder and Raymond Chandler -- Double Indemnity continues to set the standard for the best in Hollywood film noir."

critical review 

"Barbara Stanwyck Is consistently tough throughout and gives an excellent performance." Mary Hunt

7 Oscar Nomination (Best Picture, Best Actress, Best Director, Best Screenplay, Best Sound Recording, Best Cinematography (black/white), best score for a comedy or a drama

Brief Encounter 

1110335-b.jpg 

Director David Lean

Letterboxd 4.2/5 (150/250)

IMDB 8.0/10

Rotten Tomatoes 91%

Critical Consensus

"Brief Encounter adds a small but valuable gem to the Lean filmography, depicting a doomed couple's illicit connection with affecting sensitivity and a pair of powerful performances" 

critical review
"One of cinema's classic love stories."  Katie Muir

Oscars

3 Oscar nomination (Best Actress, Best Director, Best writing)

• Like 7

Brief Encounter 

18854403],sizedata[850x600]&call=url[fil

director David Lean

Letterboxd 4.2

IMDB 8.0

Rotten Tomatoes  91%

critical consensus

"Brief Encounter adds a small but valuable gem to the Lean filmography, depicting a doomed couple's illicit connection with affecting sensitivity and a pair of powerful performance."

3 Oscar nominations(Best Actress, Best Director, Best Writing (screenplay)

critical review

"Lean solidified his mastery of emotional intimacy even without the epic scope, and crafted what many consider to be one of his finest achievements."  Mattie Lucas

It's A Wonder Life 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVlUahihyKGvALB33F3G8 

Director Frank Capra

Letterboxd 4.3 (78/250

IMDB 8.6 (21/25)

Rotten Tomatoes 94%

Critical Consensus 

"The holiday classic to define all holiday classics, It's a Wonderful Life is one of a handful of films worth an annual viewing."  

critic

"It's a Wonderful Life is a wonderful title for a motion picture about which practically everyone who sees it will agree that it's wonderful entertainment"  Jack D Grant

5 Oscar Nominations (Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Director, Best Sound, Best Editing)

Edited by Kvikk Lunsj
  • Like 4