Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (4/29-5/2) | Our Annual Late April Calm Before the Storm

https://deadline.com/2022/04/box-office-doctor-strange-2-bad-guys-1235013663/

1.) The Bad Guys (Uni) 4,042 (+34) Theaters, Fri $3.7M (-54%), 3-day $14.4M (-40%)/Total $42.7M/Wk 2

2.) Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Par) 3,801 (-8) theaters, Fri $2.5M (-37%), 3-day $9.7M (-38%)/Total $159.3M/Wk 4

3.) Fantastic Beasts…Dumbledore(WB), 3,962 (-283) theaters, Fri $2.1M (-47%) 3-day $7.5M (-46%)/Total $78.8M/Wk 3

4.) The Northman (Foc) 3,234 (+50) theaters, Fri $1.8M (-64%), 3-day $6M (-51%)/Total $22.4M/Wk 2

5.) Everything Everywhere All at Once (A24) 2,213 (+80) theaters, Fri $1.56M (+1%)/3-day $5.3M (-2%)/Total $35.2M/Wk 6

6.) Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (LG) 3,036 theaters, Fri $1.1M (-62%), 3-day $3.6M (-49%)/Total $13.1M/Wk 2

7.) The Lost City (Par) 2,595 (-233) theaters Fri. $1M (-21%), 3-day $3.5M (-19%)/Total $90.4M/ Wk 6

8.) Memory (Open Road) 2,555 theaters, Fri $1.1M, 3-day $3.1M/Wk 1

9.) Acharya (Prime Media) 396 theaters, Fri $832K, 3-day $2M/Wk 1

10.) Father Stu (Sony) 2,476 (-229) theaters, Fri $615K (-40%), 3-day $1.98M (-40%), Total $17.3M/Wk 3

• Like 2

really hope that MoM doesn't hurt Everything Everywhere. As others said, it's a WOM smash unlike anything in recent memory and successful indie counterprogramming to big movies.

50% drop is actually good for The Northman all things considered.

58 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

A very very quiet weekend, the crowd must be distracted by Netflix’s 365 days sequel. A must see horny sensation!

It sucked. the original was fun and delivered exactly what it promised. This was just shit as if they forgot why the first one was successful. second half of the movie was a massive bore like who the hell watches this for Mafia business? 

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

Also, Dumbledore may not do over Deathly Hallows opening day, that is utterly hilarious.

I've been saying it for 2-3 years and got shut up but FB's biggest mistake was casting old and unattractive. If you browsed HP fandom, you'd see they wanted Dumbledore and Grindewald to be as young and pretty as they appeared briefly in Deathly Hallows movies. They didn't ask for them to be in their 50s. So that FB went the way of Narnia (shit quality and boxoffice) rather than Hobbit (shit quality but still very big hits) is no surprise to me. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

It sucked. the original was fun and delivered exactly what it promised. This was just shit as if they forgot why the first one was successful. second half of the movie was a massive bore like who the hell watches this for Mafia business? 

I didn’t expect to get a serious reply for 365 days

it's gonna be may tomorrow sooooo @WrathOfHan @Eric is a furry

14x:

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man, Spider-Man: No Way Home IMAX, Spider-Man: No Way Home Round 2, The Batman Dolby, After Yang, The Lost City Dolby, Morbius Dolby, Everything Everywhere All at Once, The Outfit, Ambulance, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

13x:

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore: The Matrix Resurrections, Spider-Man: No Way Home Round 2, The Matrix Resurrections Round 2, Sing 2 Dolby, West Side Story Round 2, The Matrix Resurrections Round 3, Belle Round 2, The Batman Dolby, The Lost City Dolby, Morbius Dolby, Dog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Dolby, RRR
Top Gun: Maverick: Gemini Man Dolby HFR120fps3D, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Dolby, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Round 2 IMAX, A Quiet Place Part II IMAX, Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins IMAX, The Godfather Dolby, The Lost City Dolby, Morbius Dolby, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Dolby, Ambulance, The Northman Dolby, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent

10x:

Lightyear: Encanto Dolby Atmos, The Matrix Resurrections, Nightmare Alley, The Matrix Resurrections Round 2, West Side Story Round 2, The Matrix Resurrections Round 3, The King’s Man, Death on the Nile Dolby, Turning Red, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Dolby

9x:

The Northman: The Matrix Resurrections, The Matrix Resurrections Round 2, Scream Dolby, Da 5 Bloods, Everything Everywhere All at Once, The Outfit, RRR, Ambulance, We’re All Going to the World’s Fair
The Bob’s Burgers Movie: Death on the Nile Dolby, Uncharted Dolby, The Godfather Dolby, The Batman Dolby, The Lost City Dolby, Morbius Dolby, Everything Everywhere All at Once, The Outfit, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent
Downton Abbey: A New Era: Belfast, Sing 2 Dolby, The Souvenir: Part II, Drive My Car Round 3, After Yang, Cyrano, The Outfit, The Northman Dolby, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

8x:

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent: The Matrix Resurrections Round 2, The Matrix Resurrections Round 3, Uncharted Dolby, Da 5 Bloods, The Batman Dolby, The Lost City Dolby, Morbius Dolby, Everything Everywhere All at Once

7x:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Spider-Man: No Way Home Round 2, Sing 2 Dolby, Uncharted Dolby, 2022 Animated Shorts, The Batman Dolby, The Lost City Dolby, Morbius Dolby
The Bad Guys: Sing 2 Dolby, Belle Round 2, Death on the Nile Dolby, 2022 Animated Shorts, The Lost City Dolby, Dog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Dolby

6x:

Ambulance: Dune Dolby, Spider-Man: No Way Home IMAX, The Matrix Resurrections, Spider-Man: No Way Home Round 2, The Matrix Resurrections Round 2, The Matrix Resurrections Round 3

5x:

Nope: The Batman Dolby, Morbius Dolby, Everything Everywhere All at Once, The Northman Dolby, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent

4x:

Firestarter: Da 5 Bloods, The Outfit, Ambulance, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

3x: 

Minions: The Rise of Gru: The Call of the Wild Dolby, Onward Dolby, The Croods Round 2
DC League of Super-Pets: The Mitchells vs. the Machines, King Richard, 2022 Animated Shorts
Jurassic World: Dominion: Uncharted Dolby, Ambulance, The Northman Dolby
Elvis: The Batman Dolby, The Northman Dolby, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent
The Duke: The Lost Leonardo, The Godfather Dolby, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 

2x:

The Comeback Trail: Tenet Round 3 IMAX, Honest Thief Dolby
Thor: Love and Thunder: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
The Marvels: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
Fantastic Four: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
The Unbreakable Boy: A Journal for Jordan, 2022 Animated Shorts
Father Stu: Uncharted Dolby, 2022 Live-Action Shorts
Men: Everything Everywhere All at Once, Everything Everywhere All at Once Round 2
Bullet Train: Morbius Dolby, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent
Eiffel: The Outfit, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent
Memory: RRR, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent

1x:

The Black Phone: The Last Duel
The Devil’s Light: Nightmare Alley
Happening: 2022 Live-Action Shorts
Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank: Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Brahmāstra Part One: Shiva: RRRR
Adhira: RRR
Marcel the Shell with Shoes On: Everything Everywhere All at Once Round 2
Gagarine: Memoria Round 2 35mm
The Girl and the Spider: Memoria Round 2 35mm
The Case of the Vanishing Gods: We’re All Going to the World’s Fair

Montana Story: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blankments said:

it's gonna be may tomorrow sooooo @WrathOfHan @Eric is a furry

Reveal hidden contents

artworks-tsEh9yEqzuRzrWWL-A3zY8A-t500x50

I have a story to tell about how general audiences are interacting with movies nowadays. Thought it would be relevant to the conversations we frequently have here. Also just need somewhere to vent lol

So 2 days ago, I had a family dinner. Cousins and uncles and whatnot. We started talking about movies. First off, my uncle said something along the lines of "Movies are starting to come out?", even though we have had this conversation at least 2 times, dating all the way back to GvK.

Then, and this is the bigger thing, I was talking about how much I loved The Northman and thought it was just an awesome movie, kinda recommending that they should go check it out. Cousin looked at me confused trying to search his memory what that movie is, even though I have talked about it and sent trailers for it in our groupchat a number of times. Explained to him who was in it and all that. Then, my brother goes "What's it on?". I kinda just stared at him and paused for a second and then responded "In theaters". To which, everyone started laughing like "Ohhhhhh riiiiightt." My brother then also started incorrectly explaining to my uncle how like "All movies these days are coming out on HBO Max and streaming at the same time as theaters" and some other misinformed shit like that.

The reason I'm writing this is because I feel like this is generally kind of how people view moviegoing right now. They showed vain interest in asking what streaming service The Northman was on, and once I said it was in theaters, they basically resorted to having no interest in it whatsoever, even though I was raving about how great of a theatrical experience it was, and fully recommending it

The people I'm writing about like my mentioned brother and cousin have also only seen a handful of movies since Covid started I'm quite certain. My brother resorts to watching standup specials and dumbass podcasts, whereas the cousin I mentioned who has had A LOT of free time over the last number of months was talking about how he still hasn't seen The Batman because he dreaded that it is "3. HOURS. LONG."

Anyway, hope this was a thought-provoking read.

Edited by Pinacolada
  • Like 5
  • Sad 3

To add onto the post, my twelve year old has asked me for the past two days when is The Bad Guys coming on streaming as we say it a week ago. I told him it’ll be about 45 days until Peacock release and the dude was impatient when I told him it likely won’t be on there until the first week of June, proclaiming that essentially theatrical windows need to be shorter.

7 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

I have a story to tell about how general audiences are interacting with movies nowadays. Thought it would be relevant to the conversations we frequently have here. Also just need somewhere to vent lol

So 2 days ago, I had a family dinner. Cousins and uncles and whatnot. We started talking about movies. First off, my uncle said something along the lines of "Movies are starting to come out?", even though we have had this conversation at least 2 times, dating all the way back to GvK.

Then, and this is the bigger thing, I was talking about how much I loved The Northman and thought it was just an awesome movie, kinda recommending that they should go check it out. Cousin looked at me confused trying to search his memory what that movie is, even though I have talked about it and sent trailers for it in our groupchat a number of times. Explained to him who was in it and all that. Then, my brother goes "What's it on?". I kinda just stared at him and paused for a second and then responded "In theaters". To which, everyone started laughing like "Ohhhhhh riiiiightt." My brother then also started incorrectly explaining to my uncle how like "All movies these days are coming out on HBO Max and streaming at the same time as theaters" and some other misinformed shit like that.

The reason I'm writing this is because I feel like this is generally kind of how people view moviegoing right now. They showed vain interest in asking what streaming service The Northman was on, and once I said it was in theaters, they basically resorted to having no interest in it whatsoever, even though I was raving about how great of a theatrical experience it was, and fully recommending it

The people I'm writing about like my mentioned brother and cousin have also only seen a handful of movies since Covid started I'm quite certain. My brother resorts to watching standup specials and dumbass podcasts, whereas the cousin I mentioned who has had A LOT of free time over the last number of months was talking about how he still hasn't seen The Batman because he dreaded that it is "3. HOURS. LONG."

Anyway, hope this was a thought-provoking read.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

9 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

These last two posts didnt help to cure my depression. 

if it makes you feel better, my parents haven't seen a movie in theaters in months simply because there's nothing else they wanna see. When I met them a few weeks ago for my dad's birthday, they asked me when turning red was "going wide" and when I told them it was on Disney+, they were like "well, how are we supposed to see it then?"

granted, my parents are old so maybe it's just a generational thing but also there's literally been nothing in theaters they wanna see together since American Underdog and No Way Home (Dad wanted to see Dog and mom wanted to see the Cage movie but as for date night, they were planning on Turning Red and that fell apart)

Nowadays GA is used to have movies in streaming first and foremost, and if it isn't on streaming they just loose interest. I have had the same experience myself. Studios did this with their day and date strategies/30-45 day windows.

Hey now, not saying doom and gloom. It’s just an observation. The theatrical audience is still coming back and recovery is still present. It’s just going to take a minute for full normalcy but these past six months have been really good signs.

• Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Hey now, not saying doom and gloom. It’s just an observation. The theatrical audience is still coming back and recovery is still present. It’s just going to take a minute for full normalcy but these past six months have been really good signs.

YourMother, this is BOT, there is no place for sensible, nuanced posts here.

Theaters are dead. Cinema is over.

Spoiler

Until Jurassic World Dominion releases. Then theaters will be saved.

Spoiler

Ok, maybe Doctor Strange will do it as well.

Spoiler

But Dominion will be the true savior, Doctor Strange is but a tease

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Nowadays GA is used to have movies in streaming first and foremost, and if it isn't on streaming they just loose interest. I have had the same experience myself. Studios did this with their day and date strategies/30-45 day windows.

And all the studios have to do to reverse it is get rid of the hybrid releases and short windows.

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I think once the streaming bubble pops (sooner rather then later) you'll see some major shake-ups and going back to the old styles.

Mmhmm there's not streaming bubble. Theaters aren't dying but streaming is only going to get stronger. 

Edited by MultiverseXXR