SLAM!

Best Animated Feature 2022

14 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Sea Beast might end up a factor here 

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_sea_beast

Don't think I've heard of this movie before (and the wikipedia page is only a draft now). 🤔

I guess by raw review strength it's a contender.

Still, might be hard to get in.

My current guess for the 5 nominees (with Turning Red as the predicted winner).

1. Turning Red
  2. Pinocchio (Del Toro)
  3. Wendell & Wild
  4. My Father's Dragon
  5. Inu-Oh

Thinking that since Lightyear isn't doing so hot Disney might direct their attention to just pushing Turning Red and Strange World (provided that is well-received) and LY's slot gets taken up by I guess The Bad Guys or something similar. Still don't think we'll see more than two indies this year.

2 hours ago, cookie said:

Thinking that since Lightyear isn't doing so hot Disney might direct their attention to just pushing Turning Red and Strange World (provided that is well-received) and LY's slot gets taken up by I guess The Bad Guys or something similar. Still don't think we'll see more than two indies this year.

On the contrary, I think this is more likely

1. Turning Red
  2. Pinocchio (Del Toro)
  3. Wendell & Wild
  4. My Father's Dragon
  5. Inu-Oh

One Disney, two Netflix and two indie/foreign.

I don't think The Bad Guys is getting nominated in any case. Just my impression, I haven't seen the movie, but it's not that big of a hit and there are movies that got better reviews.

https://variety.com/lists/2023-oscars-predictions-ranked-best-picture/best-international-feature-2023/

What variety thinks at this point. My main takeaway is that Marcel counts as animated.

Lightyear” (Pixar)
Angus MacLane, Galyn Susman
Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio” (Netflix)***
Guillermo del Toro, Alexander Bulkley, Corey Campodonico, Lisa Henson, Gary Ungar
Marcel the Shell with Shoes On” (A24)
Dean Fleischer-Camp, Andrew Goldman, Elisabeth Holm, Caroline Kaplan, Terry Leonard, Paul Mezey
Turning Red” (Pixar)
Domee Shi, Lindsey Collins
Wendell and Wild” (Netflix)
Henry Selick, Ellen Goldsmith-Vein, Jordan Peele

11 minutes ago, Morieris said:

....Is Turning Red even eligible when it didn't play in theaters? Did the old rules of a theatrical US run go back into effect?

It played at Disney's El Capitan theater and a few select others in LA/NYC for a week. It's eligible.

• Astonished 1

53 minutes ago, Morieris said:

....Is Turning Red even eligible when it didn't play in theaters? Did the old rules of a theatrical US run go back into effect?

Uh yes it is eligible. It was in theaters in a very limited way so it counts. No one is saying it's not eligible.

If Marcel the Shell With Shoes counts, this is my prediction:

1. Turning Red
  2. Pinocchio (Del Toro)
  3. Wendell & Wild
  4. Marcel the Shell With Shoes
  5. My Father’s Dragon

In order of likeliness of winning.

edit:

I'm genuinely confused now if Marcel will be eligible for this category.

Edited by cannastop

I wish there was a chance for an animated feature to win 3 or more Oscars. I don’t think it’s happened before. Plenty of animated movies have won 2 Oscars.

Realistically, this would be a movie that wins Animated Feature, Song, and Score.

But there have been nominations for animated movies in Sound and Screenplay, and even Best Picture in the past.

I guess that kind of sets the ceiling at 6 Oscars for an animated feature, unless they get more creative in honoring these movies.

Edit: And visual effects, though this seems to go to mostly Stop Motion movies. So maybe 7 Oscars as the ceiling.

Edited by cannastop

On 6/29/2022 at 9:20 AM, cannastop said:

Very good sign for Turning Red.

Also a good sign for Marcel the Shell with Shoes, but I'm not sure if it will count in the animated category. Or if it does count, will enough people realize it's a work of animation.

These are fake awards lol. Truly meaningless stuff. These "members" just pay for membership and only watch mainstream films. And it's only for the first half of the year anyway

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

These are fake awards lol. Truly meaningless stuff. These "members" just pay for membership and only watch mainstream films. And it's only for the first half of the year anyway

ahh didn't know you just straight up pay for membership. 🤔

I’m not sure I’ve heard a lot of the movies you’re mentioning here, but SeaBeast reviews are through the roof so add that in here.

I feel like The Bad Guys might be a shoo in as well and might take Lightyear’s slot in the nominees.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dingdong said:

I’m not sure I’ve heard a lot of the movies you’re mentioning here, but SeaBeast reviews are through the roof so add that in here.

I feel like The Bad Guys might be a shoo in as well and might take Lightyear’s slot in the nominees.

Maybe...

1. Turning Red
  2. Pinocchio (del Toro)
  3. Wendell & Wild
  4. My Father's Dragon
  5. The Bad Guys