SLAM!

Best Animated Feature 2022

I am prepared to be called a crazy person but I think My Father’s Dragon has a chance at getting snubbed. I know Cartoon Saloon is 4/4 but there’s something about the trailer where it might not be quite as impressive as other Cartoon Saloon films. I think Wolfwalkers will have had better reception, honestly.

At the end of this year, I think at least one of these non-Pinocchio Netflix films will get snubbed; it’s either My Father’s Dragon or Wendell & Wild but “which one” is the big question. A snub would be a blessing in disguise for Netflix anyway because they need to be pushing Pinocchio the hardest regardless of what happens.

Then the question becomes “what would replace the Netflix snub” and honestly, Minions: The Rise of Gru has a legitimate path if Universal is willing to push it. These three factors are in its corner:

1) All Academy members have a say in the nominations for Animated Feature. This means Minions has a higher chance of “having been seen” by voters than other potential picks.

2) Universal has this and The Bad Guys as films they can push. The Bad Guys may be the more artistically daring of the two, but Minions is clearly the bigger “success.” Many critics also think Minions is good in its own right, with the film touting some of the funniest slapstick comedy we’ve seen from Hollywood in quite a while.

3) Diana Ross and Tame Impala crafted one of the catchiest movie songs of the year with “Turn Up the Sunshine,” which has a clear path to a nomination in Original Song. We saw from 2013/14 that Despicable Me 2 and Pharrell Williams’s “Happy” mutually benefitted each other and both got nominations in their respective categories. And frankly, when animated films have a shot in places outside of the central category, that’s never not helpful.

I can see some predictors saying it’d be a bad decision to nominate it, stating that it’d be a Boss Baby situation all over again. It’s not the nominee awards junkies typically want to see from the Academy. But I will say this: I don’t think it’d be a worse nominee than Lightyear would be… 👀

But really, at this point, I’m eager to see the nominations of the critics groups because I’m really hoping something smaller can break into the race through a substantial critics push. Something non-Netflix, non-Disney, non-Universal. Maybe an anime or a film from GKIDS, or maybe even Mad God (let’s see what Shudder can do). This is easily the most competitive year for Animated Feature we’ve had in a long time, and I’m hoping for something smaller to enter the race in a big way!

Edited by SLAM!

7 hours ago, SLAM! said:

I can see some predictors saying it’d be a bad decision to nominate it, stating that it’d be a Boss Baby situation all over again. It’s not the nominee awards junkies typically want to see from the Academy.

meh I doubt Minions 2 will get a nomination.

Bad Guys is more likely, even if it made less money.

19 hours ago, cookie said:

The early reviews for Wendell & Wild are positive, but not overwhelmingly so. Thinking Sea Beast has a stronger chance of sneaking in above it now.

If Boxtrolls and Pirates got in with lukewarm praise (especially the latter, the second was better recieved) then I still think it gets in. The Academy LOVES stop motion.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

On 10/14/2022 at 12:07 PM, SLAM! said:

3) Diana Ross and Tame Impala crafted one of the catchiest movie songs of the year with “Turn Up the Sunshine,” which has a clear path to a nomination in Original Song. We saw from 2013/14 that Despicable Me 2 and Pharrell Williams’s “Happy” mutually benefitted each other and both got nominations in their respective categories. And frankly, when animated films have a shot in places outside of the central category, that’s never not helpful.

"Turn Up the Sunshine" > "Happy" easily. I doubt it gets nominated for Original Song but it should be!

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 2:54 AM, cookie said:

The early reviews for Wendell & Wild are positive, but not overwhelmingly so. Thinking Sea Beast has a stronger chance of sneaking in above it now.

https://www.slashfilm.com/1055614/guillermo-del-toros-pinocchio-review-a-classic-childrens-tale-meets-frankenstein-and-fascist-italy/

We are sleeping on GDT's Pinocchio 

2 hours ago, Reddroast said:

No one is sleeping on it, I think we're all assuming it will be nominated and is the likely alternative to Turning Red.

• Like 1

I’m going to amend my prediction and say that Del Toro’s Pinocchio has a shot at the trifecta of National Board of Review, New York Film Critics Circle, AND LOS Angeles Critics awards.

For Animated feature.

This has only happened before with Chicken Run, Spirited Away, and The Incredibles.

Whether this means it will win the Oscar, I don’t know

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/marcel-the-shell-with-shoes-on-animated-feature-oscar-1235258749/

‘Marcel the Shell With Shoes On’ Qualifies for Oscars’ Animated Feature Race (Exclusive)

Richard Linklater’s 'Apollo 10 1/2' and Canada's international film contender 'Eternal Spring' can also be considered for nominations in the category.

Current predicts:

Del Toro's Pinnochio (win)

Turning Red

Marcel the Shell with Shoes On

Fighting for the last two spots:

Strange World

The Bad Guys

My Father's Dragon

Wendell & Wild

The Sea Beast

Edited by cookie

Looks like Strange World might be getting Lightyear-tier reviews.

Might also bomb harder than Lightyear at the box office so who knows.

It’s kind of weird how this year turned out for animated movies.

There’s Pinocchio and Turning Red as the top two contenders.

then a bunch of other movies that kind of disappointed.

Lightyear, Wendell & Wild, My Father’s Dragon, Strange World.

There’s also Marcel the Shell, but since that movie has some live-action elements it might have an uphill battle. And it was a disappointment at the box office.

Marcel the Shell: NYFCC, NBR

GDT Pinocchio: LAFCA, Chicago

Turning Red: Boston

IDK the only one remaining I kind of care about is maybe Toronto. And they might be biased lol

Anyways, here’s how these animated movies rank on the top 50 of indiewire’s poll

#42: Turning Red

#34: Marcel the Shell with Shoes On

#33: Apollo 10 1/2

#23: GDT’s Pinocchio

https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/50-best-movies-2022-critics-poll/mcdgude-zx016/

Sounds like a good year for animation.

But there are still the BAFTAs…

There are two notable instances where the BAFTA choice for animated film didn’t match the Oscars’. 2016 with Kubo and the Two Strings and 2019 with Klaus.

So I think a BAFTA win for Pinocchio is likely… what happens in the Oscars is still idk to me. Maybe wishful thinking because I really like Turning Red.

• Like 1