BadOlCatSylvester

May 13-15 Weekend Thread | 67.4% drop for Doctor Strange 2

1 minute ago, Eric Strange said:

Let me clarify as somebody who started the supposed "Marvel is dead" talk that no, I don't think Marvel is dead. I just have concerns about the next two movies and how they'll stack up creatively and that things can go on a decline, while still being super popular and full of moneymakers. I feel like I emphasized that numerous times, so I really hate that things are construed that Marvel's dead forever and their movies are all bombs forever now.

Tbf nuance is a odd blind spot here lol.

But yes I agree with that statement especially when it’s looking like at least 15 pieces of superhero media at the least a year.

• Like 1

Everything Everywhere -4% from last Friday. That’s insane. 

Doctor Strange’s Friday to Friday is -82%. Could the weekend drop be -68% and join Black Widow?

Firestarter’s PTA was $451. Including Thursday previews. Huge bomb. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Beyond some joking:

01. Dominion - 650M

02. Thor: Love and Thunder - 510M

03. Doctor Strange: MoM - 405M

04. Top Gun - 400M - coin toss right now between it and MoM for me

05. Lightyear - 365M

After some quick research:

1: JW Dominion = $601M (Better OW than JW, but weaker legs)

2: Thor L&T = $450M (a bigger SM:Homecoming essentially)

3: Dr Strange MoM = $397M (until Disney works some magic to get it over $400)

4: Top Gun = $360M (Still think pre-sales are a bit of a NTTD-esque mirage, but decent legs)

5: Lightyear = $340M (A weaker TS4 essentially)

Yeah, seems I'm lower than most on all but JWD ...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MessiahXXR said:

Until that C+ Cinemascore comes out and then BOOM...

Under $400M like DSitMoM 

:whosad:

You should brace yourself instead for that glowing A+

6 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Oof that’s rough. O/U $60m this weekend?

Going to be close... Needs probably $26M+ Saturday to get over $60, which is +55% Fri. That's a lower bump than most May MCU films, but also seems to be playing less to families, so within realm of possibilities

Even in best case scenario, will have fallen behind CACW in total gross ($296) by Sunday, if not Saturday

400m and 1 billion was  honestly the minimum DS2 should have done considering Strange’s exposure from IW,  Endgame and NWH. The trailer being attached to NWH, and the massive hype for the film continuing the multiverse storyline from NWH. In terms of profitability it is fine but in terms of potential it certainly hasn’t reached it 

• Like 6

Just now, John2015 said:

VOD release doesn't hurt "The Bad Guys" at all

There’s a difference between being free to stream vs a $20 rental/$30 purchase.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Everything Everywhere -4% from last Friday. That’s insane. 

Somewhat expected really: it added back theaters it lost last week, and probably a good number of showtimes as well. The exact kind of lower grossing but great WOM film that gets swallowed up in the wave of a big movie opening, then gets "rediscovered" when that wave pulls back out to sea and new releases are trash

6 minutes ago, Eric Strange said:

Let me clarify as somebody who started the supposed "Marvel is dead" talk that no, I don't think Marvel is dead. I just have concerns about the next two movies and how they'll stack up creatively and that things can go on a decline, while still being super popular and full of moneymakers. I feel like I emphasized that numerous times, so I really hate that things are construed that Marvel's dead forever and their movies are all bombs forever now. Does nuance not exist anymore?

Of course not.

They've just outstretched themselves. Put too much out per year when it used to be a film a year. Two at the most.

Now they have to streamline multiple films (sometimes from outside sources a la Sony) and TV shows yearly. And if you don't catch the series, you're at risk of not knowing what's going on in the films. Contrary to what they initially swore wouldn't happen.

But this is what Disney historically does. Milk out a cash cow to the extreme till the cow is dried out and they toss it aside to feed their next fix.

The MCU is not exempt from meeting the same fate, even with their abnormally long success. Trends change and audiences do tire of the same thing, and move on.

• Haha 1

DS2 drop I think confirms a lot of people thought this was going to be a cameofest of Multiverse characters ("scoopers" claimed everyone from Deadpool to Tom Cruise Iron Man was appearing), and it's just a case of folks finding out that's not the case and it's closer to a more regular solo/duo MCU movie. Neighborhood of 400M will still be amazing for a Strange/Scarlet Witch movie.

Firestarter should have just been an OTT release. 

• Like 5

I’ll be shocked if TGM gets close to $400 million. $300 million would be incredible. I know the buzz and reviews/forecasts for opening are huge - but $400 million plus total?! An audience almost double the size of an MI movie?? I’m not sure. Maybe. I hope so! 

Dominion certainly winning the summer though. I think it’s got a shot at closer to $600 million if it’s received really well. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, YourMother said:

There’s a difference between being free to stream vs a $20 rental/$30 purchase.

Yep. That’s what we’ve seen in the U.K. too. I liken them to airline/hotel vod’s - before regular rental. No big deal and how it should be done.