BadOlCatSylvester

May 13-15 Weekend Thread | 67.4% drop for Doctor Strange 2

24 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

11 projects in 14 months

help

It's unbeliveable. 

I don't think people are tired of something (because honestly most of these TV shows aren't that huge, people are probably just skipping them), but it's crazy to think Feige have to produce all of this, of course some avoidable problems will pass.

• Like 2

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

I don't think people are tired of something (because honestly most of these TV shows aren't that huge, people are probably just skipping them), but it's crazy to think Feige have to produce all of this, of course some avoidable problems will pass.

Got a source for this claim? 

I just provided evidence that WandaVision is very likely one of the biggest shows of last year in my last post but if you have some proof that the MCU shows aren’t very big would be happy to see it.

Very nice seeing it coming above estimates. 

I saw a lot of people freaking out about the drop but honestly, while it's bad, it's not the end of the world. 

The real deal is next weekend, if somehow this drop another 55-60% then yeah, people can freakout, it would be following BvS.

But personally i think a sub 50% drop is more reasonable, putting it nearly 350M, which probably means 400M finish is happening.

• Like 1

Just now, Potiki said:

Got a source for this claim? 

I just provided evidence that WandaVision is very likely one of the biggest shows of last year in my last post but if you have some proof that the MCU shows aren’t very big would be happy to see it.

Yes, WandaVision and Loki pulled very strong numbers, especially Loki.

The other ones, it was good, nothing special.

And none of the MCU shows surpassed any Mandalorian season till last month.

Again, it's not a failure at all, like i said most of them just aren't THAT huge, which probably means many casual viewers are skipping them. 

11rep_marveldisney-chart_EMBED.jpg

It didn't included What If because it's animated (and this one was a flop), and Moon Knight because it was before the premiere, but after 3 episodes it's at #3 on this week Nielsen chart.

7 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

With all the hype and awards attention WandaVision got I thought it would have gotten bigger numbers

Yeah, i wasn't disappointed with the numbers but even the hated Boba Fett show basically match it, which is telling. 

Back to DS2, i know many people who have issues with it because they find it a bit confusing (they didn't watched WV). It's an anedoctal evidence, but i wouldn't be shocked if part of the so-so reception have something to do with this, since the show is so important for context.

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yes, WandaVision and Loki pulled very strong numbers, especially Loki.

The other ones, it was good, nothing special.

And none of the MCU shows surpassed any Mandalorian season till last month.

Again, it's not a failure at all, like i said most of them just aren't THAT huge, which probably means many casual viewers are skipping them. 

11rep_marveldisney-chart_EMBED.jpg

It didn't included What If because it's animated (and this one was a flop), and Moon Knight because it was before the premiere, but after 3 episodes it's at #3 on this week Nielsen chart.

Just because they didn’t surpass Mando which is one of the biggest shows of the last few years doesn’t mean they aren’t performing well, maybe you have otherworldly expectations but so far they  have all done great for mostly 6 episode ~4-5 hour shows.

Also those Nielsen numbers are only from the initial run so when new episodes are released so skews in favour of WandaVision and Mando which ran longer and thus people had longer to catch up or more episodes to come back to, rewatch etc. in particular Mando S2. 

I’ve also stated numerous times that Nielsen is US only data an easy way to look at global popularity is piracy (even with GoT breaking viewership records it was still the most pirated show each year) and unsurprisingly 5 of the top 6 are MCU, even What If makes the list: 

Most downloaded TV-shows on BitTorrent, 2021
Rank Last Year Show
torrentfreak.com
1 (…) Wandavision
2 (…) Loki
3 (…) The Witcher
4 (…) The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
5 (…) Hawkeye
6 (…) What If…?
7 (…) Foundation
8 (6) Rick and Morty
9 (…) Arcane
10 (…) Wheel of Time

Source: https://torrentfreak.com/wandavision-is-the-most-pirated-tv-show-of-2021-211225/

I find it hard to argue that these MCU shows are not huge, with some of them being very huge. 

GoT is in a realm of its on in terms of global TV hits in the last 10 years or so, pun intended, but these Disney+ MCU and Star Wars are doing very well and from the little bits of data having leggy runs, WandaVision was trending again in many countries on Disney+ the last couple of weeks as was Doctor Strange versus say some of Netflix big shows that seem to be more come and go.

• Like 2

So, Star Wars does a lot better on streaming than in theaters and Marvel does good, but not amazing on streaming. I have a feeling that the Obi-Wan series is going to blow the streaming numbers out of the water.

1 minute ago, Potiki said:

Just because they didn’t surpass Mando which is one of the biggest shows of the last few years doesn’t mean they aren’t performing well, maybe you have otherworldly expectations but so far they  have all done great for mostly 6 episode ~4-5 hour shows.

Also those Nielsen numbers are only from the initial run so when new episodes are released so skews in favour of WandaVision and Mando which ran longer and thus people had longer to catch up or more episodes to come back to, rewatch etc. in particular Mando S2. 

I’ve also stated numerous times that Nielsen is US only data an easy way to look at global popularity is piracy (even with GoT breaking viewership records it was still the most pirated show each year) and unsurprisingly 5 of the top 6 are MCU, even What If makes the list: 

Rank Last Year Show
torrentfreak.com
1 (…) Wandavision
2 (…) Loki
3 (…) The Witcher
5 (…) Hawkeye
6 (…) What If…?
7 (…) Foundation
8 (6) Rick and Morty
9 (…) Arcane
10 (…) Wheel of Time

Source: https://torrentfreak.com/wandavision-is-the-most-pirated-tv-show-of-2021-211225/

I find it hard to argue that these MCU shows are not huge, with some of them being very huge. 

GoT is in a realm of its on in terms of global TV hits in the last 10 years or so, pun intended, but these Disney+ MCU and Star Wars are doing very well and from the little bits of data having leggy runs, WandaVision was trending again in many countries on Disney+ the last couple of weeks as was Doctor Strange versus say some of Netflix big shows that seem to be more come and go.

Yeah i disagreed, GOT piracy have much to do with many people not having access to HBO channel. 

I really doubt these data you bring are that helpful, it's just from one platform, and most people have access to D+ anyway since they accept 7 different profiles per account, so the legal streaming are the data that matters the most. The same happens with Netflix and every big streaming platform. 

Like i said, they're big, just not that huge, not close to a movie audience for example, which can explain some people confused by DS2 plot. I really don't see signs of a phenomenon coming from these shows, maybe Loki and WV, but that's all. 

Anyway, i think we shouldn't keep this discussion longer since it's the weekend thread, so that's it.

31 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I really doubt these data you bring are that helpful, it's just from one platform, and most people have access to D+ anyway since they accept 7 different profiles per account, so the legal streaming are the data that matters the most. The same happens with Netflix and every big streaming platform. 

Having multiple data sources is always good if possible to make sure you get an unbiased view as possible, piracy still exists particularly for countries in which Disney+ does not or did not exist during the run of the MCU shows. Piracy still adds to the viewership of these shows and their understanding amongst the general public even if it is something that should be frowned upon for the most part. 

As for saying that the legal streaming data matter most I agree but we don't have a public facing view from Disney of how these shows are doing worldwide vs. Netflix that publishes their Top 10 lists now. 

As I have stated far too many times now Nielsen is US only, TV only (so doesn't include mobile, laptop viewing etc) and ben though it is a representative panel of the US we don't know for sure how close it gets to what Disney actually sees which is likely due to these facts many multiples higher. 

Using Nielsen as the de facto streaming success/failure marker leads to ill-informed comments like below. 

42 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

So, Star Wars does a lot better on streaming than in theaters and Marvel does good, but not amazing on streaming. I have a feeling that the Obi-Wan series is going to blow the streaming numbers out of the water.

I feel bad to call you out but Star Wars shows obviously over index in the US in the same way the movies do, TFA being larger than any of the Avengers films domestically for instance, it is likely in many markets outside the US the MCU shows do better than the Star Wars shows. 

Anyway I'm all done now @ThomasNicole I guess I didn't change your mind but felt I needed one last little post here to get this off my chest as people misusing data to fit a certain narrative has really became one of my pet peeves (which unfortunately seems to be becoming more common here) I guess it is a good thing I'm on here less due to being busy lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Potiki said:

Rank Last Year Show
torrentfreak.com
1 (…) Wandavision
2 (…) Loki
3 (…) The Witcher
5 (…) Hawkeye
6 (…) What If…?
7 (…) Foundation
8 (6) Rick and Morty
9 (…) Arcane
10 (…) Wheel of Time

Disney+ shows are at an inherent advantage in terms of torrent numbers because of netflix and prime video having much bigger subscription numbers though, you wouldn't need to pirate a show you already have access to.

Not sure where 11 in 14 months comes from, it has been 16 months. 42 eps+5 movies in 69 weeks. There’s a little dead space there, but if you can’t fill it with quality content might as well not fill it at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Interesting article 

Forget about direction people don't even know answer to the basic question that who'll lead avengers as Tony & Steve both are gone, they don't even know who are the core characters in MCU now.

Edited by Factcheck

7 minutes ago, dxmatrixdt said:

it looks like The Lost City will beat FB3, but with FB3 selling more IMAX and premiums, FB3 will likely have sold more tickets.  

I assume you are saying TLC.

assuming TLC pass 100m, paramount will have three 100m grosser in 1H2022. Great result for a studio which was only as big as lionsgate in 2019 box office market share.

2 hours ago, Potiki said:

Rank Last Year Show
torrentfreak.com
1 (…) Wandavision
2 (…) Loki
3 (…) The Witcher
5 (…) Hawkeye
6 (…) What If…?
7 (…) Foundation
8 (6) Rick and Morty
9 (…) Arcane
10 (…) Wheel of Time

GoT is in a realm of its on in terms of global TV hits in the last 10 years or so, pun intended, but these Disney+ MCU and Star Wars are doing very well and from the little bits of data having leggy runs, WandaVision was trending again in many countries on Disney+ the last couple of weeks as was Doctor Strange versus say some of Netflix big shows that seem to be more come and go

If we go by IMDb number of ratings then WV is the most watched MCU show with 297k ratings followed by Loki(292k), Falcon & WS(199k), Hawkeye(155k), Moonknight(137k) & what if(99k)

Edited by Factcheck

I hope you guys consider the first marvel arc only had to introduce 4 characters before the team up. Then several iterations, new characters and multiple team ups before the finale. It took 10 years to complete the story. 

We’ve barely had a complete calendar year without the effect of COVID. Yet you guys complain about the box office. We now have the television shows the give more depth to the side characters yet you guys complain that no answers are given. Let’s wait another year or two before we start beating at Feige’s door. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1