BadOlCatSylvester

May 13-15 Weekend Thread | 67.4% drop for Doctor Strange 2

17 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Firestarter seems like 1.2M True FRI. So like $3.9-4M weekend.

Looks like this will end up as the lowest-grossing wide release Stephen King adaptation since 1998's Apt Pupil, and might go even below that depending on how quickly it disappears. Pitiful.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

do horror movies get a bump on Friday the 13th ?

Usually yeah, even though it's more popular to actually open a horror movie on this date for the gimmick of it all. Too bad studios were too scared of Doctor Strange to release something interesting on this weekend cause a movie with a 13% RT score (regardless of day-and-date or not) simply isn't gonna cut it.

As I posted in weekday thread, strong monday drop(Dr Strange 2 had really strong one) means weaker friday increase. That is just plain math. I remember about 13 years ago people were super excited by Star Trek's 1st few weekdays and were predicting crazy numbers for 2nd weekend. but it had way weaker friday increase than norm. That was due to Monday drop being way better than norm. You cannot have one without another. Joker is another one i can think off. I remember @charlie Jatinder joking about 70m 2nd weekend after Presales looked really promising for 2nd friday. but it had soft friday increase as well. 

That said Dr Strange 2 will hit 400m. it will settle down after this weekend. Next weekend is also fairly weak. Plus summer is coming up and so June should help with strong weekdays. I am thinking 410m domestic and low 600's OS for 1B+ WW. Amazing performance for the sequel which to me had deceptive marketing(trailers made it sound like it was strongly tied to NWH). This movie has shown the brand value of MCU and great marketing from Disney to help with uber strong OW everywhere. 

• Like 15

Just now, honeycookiez said:

I hope Feige doesn't consider "back to the old formula" after MoM :hahaha:

The general public puts far too much into some of this.  They are going to make right at $1b on a Doctor Strange movie, and that is just from theatrical.  

Marvel's next 3-4 movies are nearly in the can.  If Feige does consider "back to the old formula", it would be well over a year from now.  

• Like 5

Jurassic and Thor are gonna rule the Summer. Doctor Strange is aleady close to 600 global so even with this drop, it still might hit a gargantuan 800 or 900 million global.

Doctor Strange also didn't stray that far from the Marvel formula. They just added jump scares. The only movie that strayed was Eternals and well . . .

Top Gun might do well too, even if I'm rooting against it.

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • Like 1