BadOlCatSylvester

May 13-15 Weekend Thread | 67.4% drop for Doctor Strange 2

9 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Also, look at it this way.... the feel good Thor: Love and Thunder now will get a nice boost for people looking for something fun as shit and worthy of the summer.  

But what if no one feels good after watching Thor?

Just now, Yandereprime101189 said:

Jurassic and Thor are gonna rule the Summer. Doctor Strange is aleady close to 600 global so even with this drop, it still might hit a gargantuan 800 or 900 million global.

Top Gun might do well too, even if I'm rooting against it.

Lol.  "Might" do well?  

I've got some news for you....

• Like 4

If this ended up not reaching 400M it will be a straight up disappointment, and there's no other way to spin this. 

Yeah the number itself is great bla bla bla everyone knows this. 

But honestly, a nearly 190M OW not reaching 400M total despite non-existent competition for 3 weeks is just awful. 

But i'm getting ahead of myself, i still think it will get there because next week drop will be soft, so i'll just wait.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Lol.  "Might" do well?  

I've got some news for you....

Oh by all means, it's gonna make bank. But none of it will come from me.

Top Gun is not a movie I like, I have no desire seeing a second and I'm going to have to listen to my co-worker talking about it for ages. 

Edited by Yandereprime101189

5 minutes ago, Bigscrubnus said:

Lol what do you have against top gun?

My co-worker won't shut the fuck up about it. They are a huge Top Gun fan. I know this because they talk about it every goddamn day. And everytime they mention it, the more I want to crawl in a hole and never come out.

I'm with Brainbug. I just want Jurassic to crush it. They're gonna co-exist perfectly, but still . . . .

I was expecting a D or an F for Firestarter. That is suprisingly higher than I thought it would be.

Edited by Yandereprime101189

Just now, Yandereprime101189 said:

My co-worker won't shut the fuck up about it. They are a huge Top Gun fan. I know this because they talk about it every goddamn day. And everytime they mention it, the more I want to crawl in a hole and never come out.

They sound cool

• Like 1

Havent seen it yet, but in my family circles, Strange has gotten a distinct negative from the family crowd, particularly if you have kids under 10. That speaks a bunch, especially when it spreads like fire over SM. 

Also, after last year **cough Eternals cough**, I am hearing way more consistent "I am done now, compared to before endgame" type chatter. And it ultimately plays out somewhat as we are seeing.... I am enjoying the change of topics (while still being fairly MCU formulaic) but its gotta have some time to breathe with good films all around. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Also, after last year **cough Eternals cough**, I am hearing way more consistent "I am done now, compared to before endgame" type chatter.

I have a friend that I would go watch every Marvel movie with. After Endgame/Far From Home he does not want to watch most MCU movies. He watched No Way Home, and I kind of forced him to watch Black Widow (he liked both a lot). Even when it was still 2019 and I mentioned something about future tv shows he was like "I'm done with all this."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I know I can be pretty cynical and I already went into my "state of Marvel" rant last week. I'm sure that this "handwringing" will be completely null and void and that I'm the idiot here. And I really hate when people say a film's going to be a failure because of production issues or heavy reshoots or bad test screenings, because those mean nothing and bad productions happen all the time. But I really wanted to get this off my chest...I don't really have a lot of confidence in Love & Thunder or BP 2 at this point, even though I'm super excited for both. Both will obviously be in the top 5 for the year, but I think they'll also have creative missteps that could lead to waning interest for future movies. We already have early word that Thor 4 isn't shaping up so hot, though that obviously can change with future cuts and edits, Strange 2 already went through heavy reshoots to mixed results, and the set of Black Panther 2 seemed like it was a total nightmare.

Can't emphasize enough that I will likely be wrong, but this all feels like a slew of bad events one after another that give me bad vibes. That the cracks are starting to form and Marvel's no longer going to be top dog like it used to be. Which hey, nothing lasts forever. And it's kind of ironic considering all those Avatar sequels are around the corner. Jimbo really does play 4D chess with these movies.

And just letting Legion and XXR know, since I know you guys will "Haha" my post, say that everything will be hunky-dory and talk about how people are complaining over nothing, that I do know for a fact the MCU will still be successful for decades to come. There will still be plenty of movies and shows, they will still make millions in profits, the big boy event movies will be massive, the smaller movies will still be huge, they will still be loved by fans and the GA, etc. Just that the franchise won't be as gigantic or talked about as it was in Phase 3 and that they won't be the biggest game in town for a variety of reasons. That's not a bad thing, that doesn't mean the series is in shambles, things are still fine. Please don't start an argument with me on this.

• Like 13