Eric Duncan

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

2 minutes ago, JWR said:

I still contend that it will get better as the situation with covid continues to improve. And to be fair, it's not just a Disney and Pixar thing. Aside from Illumination, animated family films have been struggling to get past $250M (The Bad Guys, DC League of Super Pets, etc).

It'll be a while before we regularly see these movies hit the numbers we're used to seeing from them. But I do think that this, Puss in Boots, Spider-Verse 2, and Wish are gonna start reversing that trend.

I like your optimism. I hope you're right!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Verrows said:

Fair points, but I don't know if it's just about reception at this point. When it comes down to it, will audiences go see this in theatres en masse? Disney Animations (referring to both Pixar and WDAS collectively) have quickly depreciated in value to the point where people are content to wait to throw this on the TV at home.

The streaming numbers don't mean anything to me. McDonald's is at the bottom of the ladder in terms of how people view their food, yet they do amazing business and are one of the most valuable restaurants in the world.

I honestly don't think Covid is having much of an effect anymore. I think people have just got too comfortable watching stuff at home. Add to that continued inflation and people are just becoming more picky about seeing movies in theaters now.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

I honestly don't think Covid is having much of an effect anymore. I think people have just got too comfortable watching stuff at home. Add to that continued inflation and people are just becoming more picky about seeing movies in theaters now.

Oh for sure. I don't know a soul who is still so afraid of covid that they won't return to normal public activities. I think, like you said, audience habits are just changing.

I think with a 90%ish RT Lightyear would've done 250-300mil.

Elemental's a big wild card. Premise that isn't an immediate selling point (even if it is easier to distill to a few sentences than Lightyear's), director officially responsible for their one pre-covid flop, and lingering questions about the brand's current drawing power. I do still feel the studio has a lot at stake with this release, especially given recent news of Disney's weak financials and layoffs. I don't think they'd be immune from cuts.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

...I like the music and I like her jacket. I can count on one hand the amount of romantic comedies I have watched in 10 years (only 2), but I might be more interested than I thought.

I wonder if fire people are like a minority in this world.

Edited by Morieris
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Morieris said:

...I like the music and I like her jacket. I can count on one hand the amount of romantic comedies I have watched in 10 years (only 2), but I might be more interested than I thought.

I wonder if fire people are like a minority in this world.

The actress who does her voice is Asian-American, so I think they're going for a similar angle.

Ever since it was announced, this had a lot more buzz than Strange World.

Box Office wise I don't think it will reach Pixar's highs (sans sequels obviously) since Disney+ has done some irreparable damage, but it might still perform okay-ish, like 200M Dom.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grebacio said:

Ever since it was announced, this had a lot more buzz than Strange World.

Box Office wise I don't think it will reach Pixar's highs (sans sequels obviously) since Disney+ has done some irreparable damage, but it might still perform okay-ish, like 200M Dom.

My initial prediction (assuming this is S Tier Pixar):

$60M OW

$200 - 220M DOM

$500 - 700M WW