The Wild Eric

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

6 hours ago, upriser7 said:

Excellent hold this weekend both domestically and internationally

So this opened lower than LIGHTYEAR (4.5M) in the UK. Let's hope for better legs.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 7:27 PM, kayumanggi said:

So this opened lower than LIGHTYEAR (4.5M) in the UK. Let's hope for better legs.

Elemental also notably had a lower OW than Lightyear in the North American market too.

Edited by cannastop

10 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Looking at the legs in other markets it should easily surpass Lightyear in U.K. The movie is saving face it’ll top Good Dinosaur and Cars 3.  People are liking the movie sure it’s not top tier Pixar but families are enjoying it. People are getting more accustomed to seeing Pixar films in theaters now. This could mean good news for Elio and original Pixar films going forward. I know people are sh-tting on Pixar for doing more sequels but they need the big guns to get out of the hole they are in right now. 

Edited by JohnCarterofEarth

I'm still not thrilled about the prospect of Inside Out 2 on paper given all the significant cast and crew that aren't returning for it. Could very well see it being another Lightyear.

I think Elemental's legs have helped Pixar take their hands off the panic button though, I can see them not waiting until Elio to greenlight another original project now. Sohn's job is also safe I'm sure. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I'm still not thrilled about the prospect of Inside Out 2 on paper given all the significant cast and crew that aren't returning for it. Could very well see it being another Lightyear.

I think Elemental's legs have helped Pixar take their hands off the panic button though, I can see them not waiting until Elio to greenlight another original project now.

Lightyear was strange it wanted to be kind of an original film but also have some of that Toy Story goodwill. It confused audiences cause no one asked for a Lightyear spin-off without the original Lightyear from Toy Story. With Inside Out 2 that’s clearly being marketed as a sequel to the original Inside Out no confusion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AniNate said:

There better be a real colorful funny new emotion as a hook if they're not bringing Lewis Black back.

Pretty sure Lewis Black is coming back, it's only really Hader and Kaling which still sucks but Black should be around.

3 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

Pretty sure Lewis Black is coming back, it's only really Hader and Kaling which still sucks but Black should be around.

Huh. I stand corrected. Missed that People article.

That definitely changes things a bit but still skeptical.

9 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Huh. I stand corrected. Missed that People article.

That definitely changes things a bit but still skeptical.

I'm still skeptical too but for different reasons. It's got the same writer as the first (Meg LaFauve) and Kelsey Mann has been at Pixar for a while so glad to see him get a chance at directing something. Wish Docter would come back but he's CCO so I get it.

My skepticism comes from whether or not it can find another good story to mine from it's premise. There are several directions they can take this, it's just a matter of how and where will they go with it.

On 7/9/2023 at 9:50 AM, AniNate said:

400m looks like the floor at this point, should be crossing that mark right before Turtles comes out. Gonna have to hope for maintaining audience interest amidst that competition and a great Japan performance if it hopes to hit 500. 

Won;t make much profit for Disney, but The Mouse will get it's money back.

23 hours ago, cannastop said:

Elemental also notably had a lower OW than Ligthyear in the North American market too.

I am very much aware of that. 😅 Again, let's hope the UK run mirrors the legs the movie has had in N. America.

On 7/10/2023 at 12:27 AM, kayumanggi said:

It's not even Pixar's lowest opening in the UK, both TGD and Cars 3 opened lower.

I do think the panic over Pixar was a bit unjustified and many on here were a bit Chicken Little over its OW. 

Disregarding Spain and Japan for now, Elemental has to maintain international drops less than 30% to get to $400m and 20% to get to $500m. I think it should be able to hold through the onslaught of more adult competition this month, still the most popular option parents can feel comfortable bringing their smaller kids to.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I wonder if thisll explode on digital like Encanto did

Well we'll be able to check the Nieslen ratings.

I think it will be comparable to maybe Luca and Turning Red.

Which would go to show that they really missed out on the theatrical money from those movies.

• Like 2