Eric Atreides

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

I do feel like this is the underdog of next summer given the creatives' track record and the competition around it. Spiderverse is Spiderverse and Migration has Illumination marketing behind it and a less blemished director.

Edited by AniNate

15 minutes ago, grim22 said:

This genuinely seems like a bigger issue than the premise and creative team. Spiderverse will likely be the first choice animated movie in June 23.

Ehhhh, I think SpiderVerse has a more uphill battle despite its accolades of the first than either Elemental or Migration. None of the latter open after a likely 150m-175m four day opener.

I always get surprised at how much opinions people can make based on such a simple premisse, because honestly reading this i really have no idea how the movie is gonna be, yeah there elements and a dynamic water / fire duo but then what? There´s too many ways to develop this. 

Personally i dislike The Good Dinosaur, but i doubt it was Peter Sohn fault, iirc he was co-director on that one and he have to assume the directors chair because the original director made a mess and didn´t know how to end the movie so Pixar basically fired him and everyone spent a year trying to make it tolerable.

So, knowing that, i´m happy they decided to give him another shot directing from beginning, and this one is probably going well since it´s coming in a year. Hopefully it will be great, i though all the original movies Pixar put out recently are good to great, even the simple ones like Luca.

• Like 1

Whatever one thinks of the movie as a whole The Good Dinosaur definitely has some of the most impressive visuals of any Pixar film, I'm hoping Sohn will carry that ambition over to this movie along with a good script. Would be nice for the Dannas to come back too as their score for TGD was excellent.

Fwiw Josh Cooley (who's no longer with Pixar and working on an animated Transformers movie) was singing this concept's praises on Twitter and said it was potentially " one of Pixar's defining films"

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 6

On 5/16/2022 at 4:38 PM, AniNate said:

Migration has Illumination marketing behind it and a less blemished director.

Is this just something on your mind, or do you think this makes a difference as far as the general audience/box office goes?

10 hours ago, cannastop said:

Is this just something on your mind, or do you think this makes a difference as far as the general audience/box office goes?

In the sense that it's a factor more likely to lead to good material for promotion and final product word-of-mouth

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1